Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 02.069 - Portcullis

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 17, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    Dear Engineers! In this week's update we are making another addition to the group of entrance blocks. We've added a new block, the portcullis. It's modular, so it allows you to combine it with other blocks in various ways. It's also a compound block, so there are a large number of possible combinations. It's the last of the series of gate blocks that we've been adding over the past weeks.

Features
    - Portcullis multiblock added
    - added sliding animation to the door blocks

Fixes & Tweaks
    - added night skybox to the environment definitions
    - adding the possibility to have derived types of blocks (not only MyCubeBlock) in a compound
    - fixed player name visibility
    - fixed multiblock EntityID allocation

Hotfix 02.069.008
    - fixed flying gate when destroyed
    - fixed issue with wrong loading of door blocks

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bradypus tridactylus

frist

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

This is a great multiblock that makes sense to have, portcullises were always tricky to build in the game, given the oddness of the physics at times and the fragility of wood, which would lead to them breaking a lot just by opening and closing them. :tu:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Stori3D Past Productions

Three strong updates in a row, with lots of great looking textures & functionality! Love it. I also am noting the addition of new possibilities for compound blocks?? That's interesting.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. beelzerob

I was kind of against the addition of the drawbridge on principle...but I have to admit, I like the portcullis.

I do wish these blocks required "power", though. Even SE doors don't open if there is no power on the grid (or do they? Can't remember, haven't played in a long time).

Either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Androox

Attached to a futur gearing block with a rope ? o:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dan2D3D69 Moderator

Like I said on Steam : players was able to grab timbers on handmade doors/portcullis and now it's not possible if you use door blocks. :tu:

8. beelzerob

Exactly. Maybe that's the long term plan. It would solve the issue of "ownership". There shouldn't be ownership that keeps you from using a draw bridge...only the ownership of who can get to the mechanism first!

I could see doors having keys, though....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Admittedly though, there was some fun to be had making contraptions that could flip open a player made portcullis

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ed Frost

at least its the last prefab gate... hopefully there wont be more blocks like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. beelzerob

Next block: castle

• Funny Funny x 8
  12. OmEgA_StOrM

I don't know that during the medieval times you had Portcullis and Draw Bridges that you can open and close just by touching them.

I like the idea that we have these blocks so we don't have to build them from small blocks. But please make them so that you still have to connect them to a rope drum to open it manually. Otherwise it would be also fine to have a remotcontrolled wooden cart.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ed Frost

that would be one thing that would me make a little less hostile against prefab shizzle

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stori3D Past Productions

The portcullis can be made to look like a nice imposing prison cell. You can destroy the top block's worth to make the whole thing look only two blocks high:

But of course to actually raise & lower the portcullis you still need the top block to be free:

With the asset in the game, hopefully modders can take the portcullis-look and shrink it to be useful in smaller spaces. Maybe even swing open horizontally? I like the compound element of this. More compound options is always better than fewer!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sanfard

Impact collisions of heavy objects such as custom portcullises or drawbridges can actually be dampened to the point of no damage by adding one or more catch blocks to the point of impact - the protruding end of the catch block will separate the weight of the two grids.

16. waterlimon

Except the problem still exists, for every other contraption, including the custom doors that people actually made themselves... (so this further discourages building things yourself, its no longer only slow and difficult, its also inferior in functionality)

So this is ultimately a bad thing, not a good thing, since it allows ignoring the issue for longer. Unless, of course, we are transitioning completely away from user built contraptions.

I would say this approach makes the game better for castle siege, but worse for survival (except in the very short term, before players start looking for depth)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. REDSHEILD

Agree as lim f(x) x->0 where f(x)=(1/x)^2

Now, I know it says this is the last one, but could we have a variant of the doorway blocks that have a door in it? Also possibly windows with shutters? They're possible to make with wooden blocks but quite clunky.

Very interested in the line about compound blocks.

18. Aldersauce

Does it matter that we have a new night skybox if the day night cycle is broken? Or was that fixed in this patch, gonna check it out now.

EDIT: Okay just deleted old game directory, deleted user data in Roaming, redownloaded game, made new survival game, large terrain, all defaults, logged in didn't move for 30mins, sun didn't move at all no day / night cycle, ran through all forests, no animals not barbarians.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  19. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Art People =/= Programming/Bugfixing people.
    --- Automerge ---
    Although I do feel I have to link this in here too, Clang decides to become a comedian. (no my footage)

• Funny Funny x 5
  20. Hanfree

Guys you can quit engineers from medieval engineers...

Now make block for catapults trebuchests carts and put your game in the trash like your inovation and quality right now

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Well, unlike the area building removal patch, this is an addition, not a removal, you're still free to make portcullises by hand the old way if you like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Hanfree

Make hand made portcullises in multiplayer competitive when the other players got auto-purticullis.

I only see this blocks to save the game optimization needed

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Stori3D Past Productions

I still think any of these can be made perfectly fine engineering items, depending on how the final version of crafting them looks. If crafting a portcullis requires you to have a good array of supplies and tools (which you've had to engineer) -- and some necessity to climb up scaffolding as the work progresses, since it's such a tall structure -- then it becomes a nice integral part of engineering.

I'm most excited, still, for the actual functionality that these all have added to the game. I -love- that there is now finally good code for opening & closing doors, raising & lowering gates, lifting & lowering portcullises. All of that code will be huge for making more realistic worlds. Even if the first implementation of them is pretty simplistic.

(BTW that video is AWESOME -- it flies off like a deflated balloon! Long live Clang!)

24. RubberSword

Doors, Drawbridge, Portcullis - Arrow Slits would make the month perfect

25. Ed Frost

i would like to see arrow slits as well... but the doors drawbridges and portcullis can be deleted if you ask me.... small doors for houses okay. but gates no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Mr Engineer

Looking very nice!

27. Diehard

Not sure why everyone so mad they are adding these blocks, as if you don't want them, don't allow them. You can easily come out with a mod that restricts these blocks from being build-able in your "ultra realistic" hard mode dedicated server. Its a lot easier to remove then it is to add. As for very large maps that have TONS of drawbridges and portcullis all over the place, the block count they save on is massive overall (think about when they release planets for ME). The block is also more new player friendly so they can get more people interested in the game of varying skill levels. Also this block is very useful for castle siege maps where you want to spent more of the time on detail and balance, rather then spending half the night building 1 entrance to 1 castle, only to find out later you might need to change it. This block also gives new complex block types with modder's to work with, its basically a new template for people to get creative with. Traps, small doors, contraptions are all possible for modder's to create with blocks like these getting added to the game.

I feel people getting a little too elitist with the release of these blocks. There's plenty of ways they can improve them, make them harder to build, or have more realistic requirements.. people acting like this is the worst thing that's happened to medieval engineers.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  28. Ed Frost

im mostly mad that they release these blocks when they also deleted area building and added the "carry trees in your arse"system. If we still had the old inventory, i wouldve been little less hostile

29. Diehard

I do hear what your saying though in terms of how the game has taken a shift from realism to heavily watered down mechanics as of late. And to make thing's worse, a lot of these changes do not seem optional (which so many other things in SE/ME are). It was a forced upon mechanic that took away from the areas one enjoyed with no way to toggle it on or off. It seem's like there should be 2 different style of "survival".. one for arcade style tech tree / inventory system / combo blocks.. and a realism style of survival where everything is hand build, proper inventories, no gimmicky tech unlock system. Then all new features could be built with the idea of being toggle-able between the two styles.

30. Ed Frost

that would indeed make me a bit happier, like i used to be, about this game.