Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 02.070 - Area building, playability improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 24, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary:
    Hello Engineers! This week we are returning area building to the game and bringing you several improvements to game playability. From now on, when you build, resources will be taken from nearby chests and barrels. To use area building, you first have to ensure that you have a direct line of sight to the containers with materials. These containers also have to be within range.
    We have new thumbnails this week - they now better suit the Medieval Engineers style. Inventory multipliers were also redesigned, and have been changed to 0.5x, 1x and 2x bigger. We have increased material production, so now you will craft 4 round/square timbers or 15 wooden sticks from one log. Hammer issues have been fixed - when you are building a block, you will no longer see damage decals. Also, the hammer no longer attacks blocks, preventing you from accidentally destroying a block instead of building it.

Developer's note: Today's Medieval Engineers update is on a new stable (and default) branch on Steam. No action is needed from players - you can access it as usual. Take a look at Marek's latest blog for more details about this, the Keen Software House team structure, and new Medieval Engineers leadership: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/05/keenswh-team-structure-new-medieval_24.html

Features:
    - area building
    - playability improvements

Tweaks & Fixes:
    - no more damage decals while building blocks
    - disabled attack action with the hammer tool on blocks to prevent hitting them
    - fixed nullref crash in component combiner
    - added a sight-check to the area inventory
    - fixed round timber variants not being able to change using mouse wheel in certain situations
    - added small block info back to the game when placing small blocks
    - fixed missing icon on diagonal platform
    - increased production of materials (4 timbers or 15 sticks out of 1 log)
    - new scenario thumbnails
    - barbarians are spawning only when night starts
    - materials needed screen when placing block

Update:
    - fixed issue where hammer would still destroy blocks
    - reduced wooden sticks from timbers from 4 to 3

• Like Like x 20
  2. Ovenmit

:carlton:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KevusBorus

Nice... very nice indeed

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ed Frost

at least some sort of return of no trees in arse system

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Stori3D Past Productions

Fantastic update, great video, and really excited by the new mood. I'm looking forward to seeing what you all do in coming months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. David184

THANKS! this bug was really frustrating for me

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Sanfard

Great blog. I am looking forward to what the the future holds in store for Medieval Engineers.

8. Timotei~

Finally! A step in the right direction for once.

Also, the sight checking is a brilliant idea! :tu:
    Now make those gates and drawbridges to need an actual mechanical power to actuate and I might enjoy this game again.

Keep up your good work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. OmEgA_StOrM

Nice Update
    I really like that there is now the stable branch hope this is coming for space engineers as well

10. kitsunelegendXx

This is great and all, but can we also use the area building while having the raw materials sitting out in the open? ie, have a pile of logs/rocks/ect sitting out in some kind pen, and having to carry them over close by to where you're building?

You know, like in real life?

Because I used to work construction and we always had to take the stuff out of the packages first and prep them before using them in the actual building process. I'm also not saying get rid of what you have right now, I just want to know if we have that option as well.

Either way, great update. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MechanizedIT

This is a fantastic update Keen, lots of goodies. I am especially appreciative of the area inventory, thanks for listening to your players. Also, barbarians only at nightfall is a huge relief, I always loved playing with them on, but turned them off after about an hour because of the constant annoyance. Thanks again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KingdomBragg

Thanks guys. Nice to see the return of area building.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Thermonuklear

14. Hakon102

Very very nice update ! love the area inventory! and very nice fixes and tweaks!

:):):carlton::carlton::pbjt::pbjt:

please add max. Volume/weight to player inventory and im happy again.

15. David184

so i played this update and there still seems to be the "hammer destroy blocks" bug. also aiming seems a bit off or it might be just me

16. Deepflame ME Director Developer

Hm, how did you manage to break things? Just regular building? I have been trying to reproduce this since seeing your post and I'm not having much luck breaking things. What were you building?

• Like Like x 1
  17. BiZZ Keryear

After some time I finally played again for a little while.
    And while I like the latest changes like that the hammer stopped destroying builds ... and that the basic recipes are improved ... and the area building ...
    but that's about it of good things I can say...
    For the rest of this post I have to complain ... e.g. the aiming is horrible ... sometimes I have to crouch and or go in 3rd person (because camera movements in 1st person throw the aim off)
    Sometimes aiming at stuff results in a wild pixel hunt.
    Often the crosshairs is not where you really aiming at (tried to aim at a stone to pick it up .. didn't higlight but as soon as I aimed a little outside in a thought [and maybe game intern] invisible box top left corner it highlighted and I was able to pick it up ... and that for many many other things, too) and such.
    Also tried to build my own cart in survival ... after 3 tries, which resulted in wheels not moving (though attached correctly from what I can tell), wired phantom forces (aka. flying / possessed carts) and such, I gave up.
    I have to mention that I already had build constructs (in way earlier versions) way way more complicated than a simple cart.
    I had also a hard time to pick up latches in the correct way. Often resulting in only picking up the inner part. Then I had to pick up the outer ... and had two in the inventory ... from which 1 was unusable (inner part only) indestructible or able to recycle.
    The AI also seem finally nearly complete broken (can't use structures and inventory, but their tools wear down, making them unable to do their tasks eventually after some time)

Edit: Also I miss an option to deconstruct buildings, or to build temporary scaffolds

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Basically, yes. With area building, you can have items in containers within a couple blocks radius of where you're building, or you can have items on the floor within a couple of blocks radius. So yes your pen idea would work, you'd just have to bring them within a couple of blocks distance (I forget the exact distance) to the block you're building. Also, the sight requirement now means (I think, not tested it out) that the items have to be within a clear LOS of where you're building, and not obscured/hidden by anything (by say being several floors down etc)

Anyway, about the update, I know I've been critical on the game lately, as some of you know, but I really believe that, even though this update , I know it seems a bit of a bittersweet update, since while we're getting back stuff that got removed, and some improvements to it, the fact we're going on a stable release with no more weekly updates, the game is in good hands, I've been talking a lot to Deepflame, and I think it's a really good thing that he's in a leadership role now. We'll have to see how the whole stable update goes. But I think it may be for the best, which I know isn't what a lot of people want to hear given the whole lack of content history with this game, we'll just have to wait and see, it also makes sense since SE will be shifting to a similar thing too. With restructuring, there's always going to be a period of adjustment.

But all in all, This update and these changes, I feel are a good thing for the game, so keep it up guys!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Androox

1- disabled attack action with the hammer tool on blocks to prevent hitting them

I saw my friend destroying a battlement corner with his hammer but could fix it back.

2- increased production of materials (4 timbers or 15 sticks out of 1 log)

*Logic?*
    1 Log = 4 Timbers
    1 Log = 15 Sticks
    (so if 1 Timber is 4 Sticks, then 4 Timbers is 16 Sticks, so it's useless to make Sticks out of a Log :p)
    Also, it's like you guys deleted manual work or punish it because we still have only 1 Timber if we right click on a Log.

3- barbarians are spawning only when night starts

In our server they spawn in a huge pack and aim only one player, if we kill them they respawn and respawn all night long and still aiming that one player.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. David184

was building wooden floor. it also seems to break wooden wall and stairs

21. BiZZ Keryear

Haven't had this one, but using hammer on build blocks did degrade the hammer
    I hope the developer now feels as stupid as I do right now ... though changing the recipe should be easy, and I hope it will be done in next update.
    I believe (all of em, not just barbarians) AI is so badly broken right now. But I think the focus is somewhere else now .. I for my part have the barbarians turned off ... but since I play in single player still dealing with peasants being plain stupid .... as in not being able to get to stockpile because it is on a build platform ... destroying the ground while chopping wood ... getting smashed from falling trees (maybe developer should consider "cheating" for the AI here and disable this kind of damage) ...

---------------
    In my last post I also forgot to mention that I got killed 2 times by physic glitches .... (and maybe so the peasants) I bumped with a log in hand (picked one up after inventory was full) into a tree and was flunged across the map before an deadly impact.

22. Androox

I think it got hotfixed, a timber now give 2 to 4 sticks and round timber give 1 to 2 sticks ? Can't really test because the hitbox is sooooooooooooo broke, I digg more than I hit timbers.

23. Mr Engineer

Looking good. Seems the branches have been introduced. I say this every week "I gotta get back into this game". Sigh. Amazing to watch this game develop.

24. Ed Frost

.... now.... show us what you came up with for this time....

25. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Not so much branches, as, a single branch.