Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.184.4 Minor - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. flexx SE Asst. Producer Staff

Hello, Engineers! Today's minor release comes with a sizeable batch of general improvements. The team has been working hard on both fixes and features of upcoming updates and are looking forward to seeing in the hands of our players. Issues fixed in this week's update include the dampeners HUD icon showing the incorrect state, controls being inverted when two players pilot a single grid and inventory scrolling not working properly. Additionally there's more sound improvements. For example, you will notice a new sound when walking with activated magnetic boots and footstep sounds should now be in sync with animation.

Also, changing the UI Opacity will no longer make text in the control panel unreadable.

Fixes:
    • fixed players being unable to spawn on Rival Platform scenario
    • fixed turned off projector displaying a projection after removing a block
    • fixed Easy Start Space miner exploding when editing its grid
    • fixed controls getting inverted with two players piloting grid
    • fixed scrolling inventory not working properly
    • fixed shaking off camera when shooting and in spec. camera
    • fixed issue with modded LCD Textures shown as Blank
    • fixed emissivity issues on skins
    • fixed faulty Sensor block showing negative number on range sliders
    • fixed wrong mount point on Corner LCD flat block
    • changed design for Stairs model block
    • fixed issue with dampener icon no displaying the correct state
    • fixed UI Opacity making texts in control panel unreadeable
    • fixed out of sync footsteps
    • fixed no start/idle/moving sounds playing for ships
    • fixed ship Drill sounds not playing when turned on
    • fixed deconstructing blocks playing constructing block sounds
    • changed sound when walking with magnetic boots
    • fixed Airtight hangar doors playing the wrong footstep sound cue
    Regarding decreased sim speed: this problem was already in the game for some time but was not visible due to other things. We are still working hard on a fix but due to the difficulty of it we would like to ask players to be patient as the issue will be solved in the next Major update.

Hotfixes 1.184.401:
    • Fixed big sim speed drop when building

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 18
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

Yeaaaa

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Nice to see the fixes for text on the UI being unreadable when using opacity settings.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

Solved next major update.....

Shelving S.E for now. Unplayable for more than an hour at tops now.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MechanID Trainee Engineer

While sim speed not fixed - nothing else matters, game unplayble!
    Fix it asap!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  6. Ironviper42 Trainee Engineer

This game will be filed away! Really unbelievable Keen will not fix the sim speed... Its so sad that a company will allow the product to have this game play issue and keep pushing the fix off to a major update! I'm not sure what this company is doing with there product? Its so sad that a game with such potential has been left to languish into mediocrity.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Late Late x 1
  7. Servovicis Trainee Engineer

Wonder if Keen is trying to get rid of the player base. No attempt to even touch a sim speed issue that makes the game next to unplayable for a week, and now for a second week. Once you lose the player base, they are gone for good, this game and future releases. Unless of course you don't care about that kind of thing.

Edit:
    I've been informed you can lock your game to a Major update, seems for the last few months now. This resolves one of my biggest gripes about the release structure of the game.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  8. I23I7 ME Tester Staff

Hello,

We know about the sim speed issue. Its not a simple fix and we want to deliver a proper implementation that will fix this problem. Currently there is no fix that would give a acceptable level of sim speed so we apologize for not having a fix for you this week. We will update the game with a proper fix as soon as possible,

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience with this problem.

Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 8
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

Can you get anymore childish? They'll get to it. Acting out just because they're not doing it when -you- want it done just makes you look like a doofus...and an entitled little brat.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Nikarampo Trainee Engineer

It's early access. Its beta. These things are to be expected. If you can't deal with that, you shouldn't have bought the game in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

I keep coming back because this is a one of a kind game but I cant enjoy it because of game breaking lag in MP. Be back when Keen claimed to have fixed it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

*slightly whispering*
    i...actually haven't been affected by the sim speed issue everyone else has been having. :( does it only happen in multiplayer?
    because I spent ages last night blasting ships to pieces with my newfound love of the sheer power of gatling guns and suffered no loss in sim speed...lost a handful of guns,cameras and a few thrusters. but sim speed remained fine.
    --- Automerge ---

SE is a good lesson to players to remind them that beta does mean bugs and problems. its not always perfect.
    and since they're working on this engine problems prop up alot more than if they were working on something like unity.
    SE is a test of patience. its a game like no other. :p take it with a pinch of salt. but i learned long ago that giving out will solve nothing.
    best thing to do is just simply try to enjoy it for what it is now and hopefully next week it'll be fixed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Servovicis Trainee Engineer

I might sound a bit entitled. I'm frustrated, the game goes from a playable to unplayable state like a roller coaster, and updates are either stick with a major update with no hotfixes, or exist on the most recent update which could have even more problems. I do love this game, and I do understand that these issues can take time. But this is the first time I've seen anything addressed on the fix is underway but not resolved, rather then we'll get to it next major update.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  14. viper312005 Trainee Engineer

Its not like they have fixed the issue and waiting to release the fix until major update, they are 'working' on a fix. The part where they said it'll be released on major update is just telling us a time frame of how long the fix can take. Heck it might be even longer if the problem is bad enough. They could have just said "we are working on it" with no time frame.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Cetric Junior Engineer

*Sigh* So it's ranting time again.
    Haven't seen this negativism for about half a year and *almost* missed it.
    My sim speed definitely is reduced for months, but it's because my world is so full with planets, ships, a large station and all this building on them...
    I certainly do not make a rant about it. I bear it and trust in KEEN.
    Meantime I am having my fun anyway.
    Now thrilled with that new modular elevator I have been dreaming of for more than a year.
    Keep spaceengineering!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

There's a difference between "unplayable" and "it's slow playing the specific way I play" in games. I'm sure there is a huge chunk of the player base that is not at all affected by sim speed issues. And yes, sim speed is a problem, and yes it's being worked on. The problem is that sim speed issues are a more fundamental problem that have their roots very deep in the code, Keen can't just wave a magic wand and fix the problem immediately to please a few impatient people with no concept of how complex synchronizing multiplayer code can be.

But, if sim speed is such a problem, shelving the game until the next major update is probably better for your health and mental well-being. And as an added bonus, it saves the devs having to constantly hear what a terrible job they are doing. :p

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Sid_raptor Trainee Engineer

wait...new stairs? need to check this out

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. viper312005 Trainee Engineer

whoa they changed something...updated my server and its idling just under 3.00GB of RAM...never seen this is low before with no players connected.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vereena Trainee Engineer

Not sure about that unplayable thing that seems to be going on.

I cannot recall the frame rate dropping under 50fps for many months now if not years, there was one issue when sim speed dropped to 0.2x but this was fixed the next day.
    So, maybe this is not the game's fault, but crappy hardware or crappy config of good hardware?

Having a powerful rig goes for nothing if it's poorly configured with missing or outdated drivers and someone constantly messing around not knowing what does what.
    I have two PC's,
    one is core i7, 16GB of ram, SSD drives. GTX980ti and so on,
    the other is a basic old Athlon with 8GB ram old Seagate 80GB HDD and GTX560,
    and I run the game smoothly on both with correctly adjusted level of detail for each machine.

If there are performance issues, maybe try and find a solution under your hood first? Rather than blanket blame it on keen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I believe its only occurring on servers.
    I'm in the same mindset as you. but i do believe its for servers only.
    but i only play on single player...and also have a pridefully powerful computer ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Nic_s Trainee Engineer

W4stedspace and crew had the sim speed issue on their Tuesday stream. They ended up reverting to 1.184 and did not experience the problem with sim speed going into cardiac arrest every time a block's build state changes when welding or grinding. Maybe some players can stick to that version in the mean time. As for dedicated server already on the latest patch, not much to be done unless the world save is edited to run in the 1.184 version of the game.

Unfortunately these minor updates are mute as we can't play the game anyway. Hope they can fix it soon as I recently got my friends playing the game and so far the experience has not been great.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Vereena Trainee Engineer

I occasionally play online with few friends and the game runs smoothly as well with minor hitches (I only speak of sim-speed, frame rate is irrelevant and other issues aside) but knowing how the physics is calculated I can only imagine how many calls per microsecond the servers must send and receive and if the crappy hardware or software issue prevails, tiny little change in the code may be a massive problem for slower or badly configured machines, so I stand by my original statement, players may need to look into their rigs prior to blaming Keen.
    Keen do make mistakes like just about everyone, and I think that these mistakes are more amplified on some machines, it would be nice if people understood that instead of ranting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Agreed. no amount of optimizations or bug fixes can ever hope to solve a problem if the hardware trying to run it isn't good enough.....as much as i dislike being all smug sitting at a respectably powerful computer. sometimes you do have to tell people to get something more powerful. but having been in that position of being on a slow computer and saving up for a powerful...it is worth every single cent. literally.

the only issues I've ever experienced when playing a hosted server with friends was a rather strange issue which from my friends perceptive I was still sitting in a control seat on a large grid. but from my view i'm off else were trying to collect some ore from a container but its not working......it is like an outer body experience! :p nothing a quit and reconnect doesn't fix.
    I haven't experienced it in months so im sure its gone for good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I haven't logged on to a multi-player server in a while. Are we talking lag on a single threaded instance of a game server by a hosting company or a true dedicated box with four cores running at 4+ gHz? There's a MAJOR difference in performance between the two. Single thread game servers cannot keep up with the game even though they are advertised and rented for play.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. Vereena Trainee Engineer

By all means, I was on the same wagon, until fairly recently, that old Athlon PC was my "current" PC and I had the same issue of "I-need-a-faster-PC". But I didn't try to run a server on it and then complain, that the game is crap.
    Now I do something like Ronin1973 mentioned, I run a server on my core i7 Rig with 8 cores and buckets of RAM and play on the old PC, and no sim-speed issues.
    I am sorry for some, but there is only so much one can do with given equipment, at some point you just need to have a serious upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Thanks as always :D

27. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Incorrect. It is occurring in SP Survival, too. It only happens when you do a lot of grinding and welding-- damaged blocks do not seem to exacerbate the situation as much or as quickly (until you start welding and removing, of course).

The situation is, I guess, worse for MP and dedicated server players, but it does exist for SP as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. JJayzX Trainee Engineer

i7 4770k at 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB ram at 2133 Mhz, 2x SSD, GTX 970, so is my PC a piece of junk? I think not and the game suffers from the simspeed issue. When I look at the usage when it happens nothing is even close to maxed out, it's purely software issue.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. Vereena Trainee Engineer

The best PC hardware under the sun may be a piece of junk if badly put together.
    If you read hardware and software instructions as carefully as my posts this may just be the case.
    I do not presume to know what is your exact setup and, frankly, I don't give a rat's ass for it, but we agree in one, this is most likely a software issue, the only question is wether it's the game or your software. Because your spec is not so different than mine and the game runs smoothly for me in both SP and MP, always!
    SP even runs good on my old one which couldn'd hold a candle to yours - specwise, but I don't claim it can run MP.

So chill out with that piece of junk talk.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  30. chrisb Senior Engineer

I've not had a sim/speed issue. (first 60secs for readings)

So if they are saying there is a sim/speed issue, what is it and who does it affect. Is it a gpu based problem or cpu. Does type of card make a difference etc.
    Just curious.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.