Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.185 - Major Physics Overhaul

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. anders w Apprentice Engineer

suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension suspension... yay!

• Like Like x 1
  2. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

As amazing this update is, I am just as confused why they can't simply lock completely axis X and Y and let the head move only on axis Z. My best bet is that they wanted some realism to it, but if that's the case, why don't we have structural integrity in general? My other guess is that they wanted some free-space in case people wanna build elevators and stuff, so it won't be THAT rigid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Alli Trainee Engineer

'Safety Lock' deleted...
    What was missing to completely kill a server, thank you.
    Or do I have to remove the rotor/piston from my server too? There won't be much left in a few months.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. Rabagahst Trainee Engineer

First of all, thanks for the awesome update!
    So, I decided to test out the new physics and guess what? Pistons does not explode if blocked anymore :D However, when blocked the structure starts spinning uncontrollably...
    In this simple design, when the piston is blocked, the structure will start rotating.. Why, I have no idea!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jandraelune Apprentice Engineer

Turning on ' Shared Tensor ' replaced ' Safety Lock ' in a better way.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Alli Trainee Engineer

It's worse with "Shared Tensor"...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Clang Trainee Engineer

Uhm ill be honest,thank you for the new update,ill be sure to be testing thoroughly.From the first testing i stumbled upon a predicament,that is that safety lock override is no longer in the game.While it might have caused some issues,it is now inconvenient to lock specific grids.

8. TidusKlein Apprentice Engineer

Next major update better have a pistol, a wind generator, a Hydrogen Gen and some epic wheel physics upgrades....:p just saying maybt the major after that could be compond blocks...or atlest a way to attach small grid blocks to large grid ones with out a rotor.

Keep up the awesome work thou keen :D great update

• Like Like x 1
  9. Balmung Senior Engineer

Physics are so long broken and fixed and broken. I think the hype was ok. ;)

10. Lord Clang Trainee Engineer

You are taking my fun away? Why does everyone hate me? :(
    I just want random explosions for everyone...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Logi Apprentice Engineer

Well, let's hope they stay fixed this time.

Also I think the way Marek hyped this during this week was a good way as it shed some context of what the update was all about. Before that it was just out of control hype without any context about the update. Going so far as to link old test video of NPC pathfinding.

12. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Proxy Trainee Engineer

hmm weird, when i'm in space and put something on a rotor and let it speed up and then delete the Rotor, the now disconnected Object slows down.
    but how, there is no air or force working agaist it.

and if a Player turns the jectpack off mid-fly he goes til Infinity....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

When I saw that it was a physics overhaul -- which I'd been kind of expecting, given some recent hints dropped -- I thought, well, this is going to be boring, but it'll probably make it easier for some people to do elaborate builds later on.

Then I watched the video, and saw there were several changes that I'll be making use of, as soon as I've updated my client.
    • The increase in range of laser antennas to 200 km means that laser antennas are useful, and that communication networks are much more practical.
    • CoM based thrust means designs like the ASM-2, and a utility ship I'd designed inspired by it, can now be controlled with the precision of other ships.
    • The improvements to pistons mean that I'll finally be able to deploy and retrieve a rover from a ship, using a piston.
    I'm sure more experienced builders will find more interesting new things to do, but this is already looking good to me.

15. Harlequin Otterdog Trainee Engineer

I like that you don't have to worry about setting distance on pistons and rotors when making doors.

Or that utterly pointless piston crusher trap you been wanting to install in your base but was afraid clang would come visit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mikiy Trainee Engineer

Indeed, as amazing as this update looks.. i still think theres to much priority put on having realistic physics, rather then keeping it simple.

When i see this piston pole bend sideways because of the huge mass on top i can't stop to think how much cpu power is unnecessarily burned on physics calculations for stuff like that.. for all i care pistons could just do what they are supposed to do - moving up and down - no matter if mass on top is balanced or not or how big it is. Would be more fun if this game had some proper survival content to fight with rather then fighting with havoc so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WildCatNL Trainee Engineer

I don't post often, but this is by far one biggest step forward for space engineers.
    Time to dig up some old design and that previously were simply not possible due to high risk of exploding on interaction.

18. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Your reply should be "If you strike me down Keen I shall become more powerful than you ever imagined" :D
    --- Automerge ---
    Calling Space Engineers an MMO is the same as calling Call of Duty WW2 an MMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Every single one of those gave me serious anxiety.
    granted i could cause a piston and 2 rotors to explode by gyroscope spinning too face. :p
    made a sort of 360 cockpit camera gyroscope rotated telescope. spun it fast and it broke

20. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Inventory isn't updating in DS.

21. Pingger Trainee Engineer

Well in reality this would have to be exactly the opposite, since lasers allow further range than Radio signals

22. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Michael Bay dislike it!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. K Man Trainee Engineer

increased Laser Antenna range to 200 km

this is also great!

24. Sinbad Senior Engineer

that beats having the actors throw themselves around the set every time the 'ship' gets 'hit' by 'something'...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  25. jemccro Apprentice Engineer

Anyone else have an issue with assemblers not pulling ingots from storage?

26. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

NEWS FLASH:

This just in, Clang hasn't been defeated, he is in fact even more powerful than he was before the update- creations that used to behave perfectly now spin wildly out of control due to the 'improvements', not to mention sim speed has tanked.

I would suggest maybe taking a step back and reassessing if the improvements are actually for the better or worse- right now, anyone wanting to build a complex structure is out of luck, but feel free to just have basic mechanisms that don't in any way tax the physics engine ( aka, flying bricks for everyone... ).

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Scya Apprentice Engineer

At first I was skeptic about removal "Safety lock" because it was so great additional to the game. But after short try I must admit this way, with all the other changes (no subgrid drag..), it's so much better! This I call intuitive, because now I can build in the same way as I have build in the first time I saw rotors and pistons in the game.
    Now the "Safety lock" really looks like a kind of workaround.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

That's exactly what it was. Since the explodey moving parts didn't seem to want to be un-explodey, the safety lock was slapped in to hopefully curb the issues. But it really only fixed a handful of the things that were causing catastrophic destruction. Glad to see they've addressed some of the core issues and ripped the old band-aid off!

29. KissSh0t Master Engineer

My ship no longer explodes when retracting it's landing gear inside itself so this update is pretty cool in that regard, however when closing the game this happened :woot:

[​IMG]

30. EnjoyCoke Trainee Engineer

I CAN'T EVEN INTO WHAT IS THIS GOING ON THERE IS SO MUCH AMAZING SO GOOD IS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE FOR THE BRAIN TO COMPREHEND THE OPOSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS THE THINGS ARE COMING TO BE BECOME THE DESTRUCTION IS ENDED FOR THE UNIVERSE IS NOW NEVER ENDING I HAVE BECOME THE MASTER OF CLANG?

AAARRHHHHHH HHHH AAAHHH AAAAAAAAA EEEEEEEEEEE AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!! YES YES YES!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.