Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186.5 - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. its srx Trainee Engineer

I believe that developers do not know what they are doing when they changes some of the options that are changing their universe so much. this game is not new and it's same change are applied to thousands of creations. and they are no longer like the creators have done! and this is hard to accept when the same update adds nothing exceptional "my point of view" ....

why continue to create things that will certainly be destroyed by the developers ........ after playing 1200 hours i can say that , i like this game . but the development is very badly chosen and badly thought , except small exception.

FIX LIGHT PROBLEM KEEN ! you can't or you dont want FIX IT ??????

and when he add lock option to pistons and rotors and after 1 week delete this locking , for 2 week later re-add them ...
    did the stup** developers not have imagined that all the automations of the mobile machines executed by a timer had to be changed every time?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Just a subtle reminder, this game is in Early Access. Fundamentally, when you change software it changes the way it loads and processes its data. Of course, there's going to be an impact. If you've read Marek's blogs they've tried to make the game updates compatible with data files (save games) from the previous major update but not much before that. If you're playing a save game created from several major updates back they don't have any intention to officially support that. That support is on you.

Firstly, you don't have to play. So "destroyed" is relative, right? All the way from blocks mostly the same to flat out missing. If you're seeing significant destruction, start a new world and fully use the game to it's greatest ability - stop gimping the game by overloading it with your old, laggy save game. Start a new one, it's easy - and better!

Ok, if the lighting in your world isn't similar to this image or the appearance of the game from Xocli's streams then you should uninstall and reinstall the game and reset your profile settings for the game. The graphics options you've chosen are no longer compatible with the major lighting update.
    [​IMG]

Do you know what is required to migrate legacy data files in such a way that certain data elements don't get corrupted during a particular upgrade? Adding and removing capability is one of those things the developers are doing to protect your save game through an upgrade. Another reason a developer would temporarily discontinue a feature is to significantly improve it in an offline state and then once it's complete calculate migration vectors to bring legacy data into compliance with the new requirements of the feature.

Surprising indeed but developers do things for a purpose.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Dying waiting a survival update:(

4. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@boromir That's a nice screenshot!

Though I think they are referring to lighting indoors. Indoor lights don't seem to be working (they only illuminate themselves). You have to get really close to try to illuminate some asteroids when you're mining, stuff like that. Would have helped if the original poster described their problem, that ^^ is just stuff I've found/trying to fix/workaround.

I wish there were indeed more graphic options to choose from.

Being able to turn off the HDR would help me a lot, I think. The only planet I've found with suitable lighting is Easy Alien and Easy Earth... The rest... have some issues (too bright). If the next update doesn't give some options to turn off the HDR or adjust its exposure, I am going to revert to before the lighting update. I just can't deal with high contrast, pure whites that the game renders in front of me more often than I would ever like to see pure white on anything. (With the bloom it makes it even worse. Because it's not just a pure white on a black space or shadow background, but glowing pure white on a black backdrop that melts your eyes out.)

My eyes are photosensitive so maybe it's not so bad for your eyes. But they should take into account people with photosensitivity to light, I mean not everyone processes light in the same gamut.

I can't even use the gatling guns with post processing on. It will induce eye strain in about 5-8 seconds.

(It's also not correct lighting. The darkest part of an object is the "core shadow", which is the area around an object that is immediately not exposed to light, before the actual shadow underneath, which actually becomes lighter as the light bounces and lights up the underside of the object. If I am referencing a sphere, the core shadow is the immediate shadow ring before the area in shadow. The cast shadow (the shadow it casts on surrounding surfaces) is darker but not as dark as the core shadow. Well, the core shadow is never 100% black.)

(100% white speculars are also not normal. They occur in certain materials (not on every material. Every material in SE, now, has a stark white specular). It's not realistic to take a screenshot, look where you have a specular, color pick it to see if there is any color information and find that indeed the color channels are pure white. That means that color channel is broken/not accurately calibrated and I suspect this is due to the HDR. In most situations. Obv some materials are very reflective and won't have equal color transitions.)

Simple scale of how exposure affects an object:
    [​IMG]

Overexposed specular vs a more normal looking specular.
    [​IMG]

I'm just saying they need to tone it down for more "normal" looking gameplay (I mean why is my hand drill glowing white ever so slightly in the distance? That doesn't make sense.) And an option for disabling the HDR.

People have a different sensitivity to light, so it is very important in terms of an accessibility option. It's not just a vanity option to throw in there. Otherwise, put a seizure warning in the opening screens so that people don't sue when the game gives them random bouts of epilepsy.

Does Xocli ever leave Earth like planet environments? I'm guessing no, because then you would encounter bizarre lighting conditions and unminable asteroids because everything is either very very dark, or the light is broken. (No beams of light to adequately illuminate your surroundings, or they only work up close. Like up to your nose close.) And ofc, indoors, the lights are broken. This is not a matter of opinion. They simply do not function (emit no illumination on blocks at anything other than a direct 90 degree angle to the lighting source. The light never reaches even a block farther. Never mind a ceiling or an object above that you want to illuminate.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

@Tenzo First, please provide screenshots of these "white speculars" and of your lights... Also make sure your lights are set to a high enough radius, cause lights definitely are working.
    Second, seizure warnings are typically for flashing scenarios. Extended or repeating flashing lights are the usual reason something has a seizure warning, and SE doesn't have much flashing light, unless you make it.
    Third, I'd recommend disabling post-processing, my guess is the chromatic aberration is probably what's making your eyes hurt, it triples everything into different colors most notable near the edges of the screen.

6. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Thanks, but I didn't take it, someone else did in a different thread but I experience the same thing.

I took some shots of interior spaces of mine since you said that was a problem. But these shots are from Easy Earth which you said wasn't a problem, however, their still indoors. The shots include exposures of light sources on both perpendicular and opposing surfaces. I find the Corner Lights are useful for increasing the overall brightness in the room, similar to Interior Lights except ILs have an added intensity glow to the nearby objects/surfaces.

That said, the campaign is on the moon, in space, Earth, and the alien planet and I don't notice any lighting issues in the campaign.

Of those, the only thing I haven't done was the asteroid mining. So I could see that becoming a problem as you've said. Moreover, I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying I'm not experiencing this.

So here are my shots showing the light casting onto other surfaces I'm experiencing.

@Tenzo, are these not similar to your experience?

While this is the way it appears in my game (using Steam screenshot), I do encounter the light flicker that Keen is aware of, also light shining beyond blocks that should be stopping the light. I suspect these are issues they intend to resolve in the cleanup effort ahead.

I like the animated starburst effect you get from Interior Lights when you are in 3rd person mode. I wish it also occurred in 1st person mode.

Awesome! More options is almost always better.

I agree, people with heightened sensitivity to light may need to take extra steps to protect their eyes. One thing that could be done is reduce the brightness and contrast on their monitors. There definitely needs to be more options to reduce intensities with the various graphics options as well. There are also filters/screens that can be added in front of the monitor (mounted on it) that could be of some use here, as it is likely SE isn't the only application with brightness concerns for users with elevated usability requirements.

Just as a caution, I would also add that the hindrances of some shouldn't be the benchmark for the standard of the many.

Valid point. I don't know. I would like to see him mining an asteroid, both hand and ship mining, during his next stream.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  7. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

Problem is the bugs themselves are as many as ever - I can't' even start the game without Windows 8.1 wanting to format my HDD (seriously)

8. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@Royale98 and @boromir Okay guys, here is how my lights are working (or not working).

A)
    [​IMG]

In this screenshot here, I was attempting to have any amount of light hit the top half of the blocks (the ceiling). Since I wasn't able to create a lighting environment to light my ships, I decided to try to figure out what was happening. Well, as you can see in the picture, I wasn't able to get any light to cast on top of the ceiling blocks. What you see below, are only "alphas" of a light glowing. There is no actual ray casting of light happening. If anything, I am more inclined to say that perhaps the lights are bugged to shine in the opposite direction than they are facing. See how brightly lit the voxels underneath are - that is the aperture they should be having on the blocks. That is the immediate range of illumination. The lighting on the top of the blocks, the "bulbs" themselves, are static alphas that I could copy and paste on another scene and have the same amount of impact with them.
    (The only reflection or illumination I was able to get are on the immediate 90 degree walls going vertical to connect the ceiling. There you can see a slight gradation of light where it translates to the neighbouring block. But that's it. Screenshot B)

B)
    [​IMG]

As you can see, no light is casting onto the ceiling, only the immediate 90 degree facing block next to the lights. There is no lighting going on onto the floor either, instead what you are looking at are superimposed "alphas". They are not actual visuals of light rays spanning outwards and illuminating the surrounding area. No, the light is static, there is zero illumination of the floor underneath or above. No light bouncing. It is an alpha, purely stating on the basis of function.

Same setup from farther away, so you can see it better:

[​IMG]

I swear, it's almost as if the lights are facing backwards. (Maybe that's the bug? Could it be that simple?)

In these two following screenshots you can see what I mean about the term alphas. Alphas don't care about surrounding form, because they are a static form super-imposed on the image. Here, you have examples of this super-imposed image of a light shining outward, bleeding through various blocks. In the exact same ways. Real light does not behave in this manner - because real light is not static.

[​IMG]

I have marked the light in the corner doing this, with a B. (To the left, upper side.)
    You can see the alpha is crossing the outer corner of the side, because it is super-imposed on the image, after the rendering has already taken place.

In another angle of the same, you can see better where the light is actually placed. Marked again as B. (There is no way light would super-impose from this location as it does in the above picture.)
    [​IMG]

You can see the same is happening with the lights further on the upper left. That's because what you see, the bright center with the rays coming out, is an alpha.

Something is wrong with the lights where their actual functionality of rays bouncing off and casting light is not showing up/working/on the wrong side perhaps, and all you have showing up is the alpha that is super-imposed on the image after lighting calculation is used. These in turn, cause a better visual indication of light for the user. But alphas by themselves, are not an indication of lighting. (But of course, this is an after effect of a bug happening in game, not that the developers are intentionally trying to feed us alphas as a lighting source.)

This next screenshot, is when the sun came up (while I was testing all this) but it Is otherwise the same setup. My tests were forced to conclude since there was no longer the same ambience.
    [​IMG]

Also, since there was a request for an example of specular - I have marked the overexposure of the edge of the terrain on the side, where the sand becomes pure white. There is actually a more "gray", correct gradation of illumination directly underneath the yellow sun, on the far left, even though it is the brightest, than on the far right, where the sand becomes pure, stark white. You can color pick it in Photoshop and you get a crystal clear white color channel.

This happens all over the place in space; Easy Start Moon, Lone Survivor (asteroids in space, and the base itself at a distance). This kind of over-exposure is also very common on blocks. But since this post is about lights, I'll leave it out for now. The exposure is similar to Exp=100000 on the gray sphere. (My earlier post)
    (With that much exposure, it overwrites an object's natural specular channel because it is much wider and with a much higher grade of intensity.)

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

That might not be a problem with SE actually (seriously).

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

Well you can see a little light going in the right direction but I can see it's pretty clearly going behind the light. I... I'm really not sure what to tell you, first time I've seen that (I mean, SE has problems with light going through blocks from interior lights but plain reversing, no). If you haven't, I'd verify the game cache, maybe reinstall if the verification turns out fine, create a new mod-less world and try again. Otherwise you may be stuck waiting for the next update :/

Also if you haven't you may want to try getting help on the discord, there's usually people around who know more ins and outs.

11. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

As I didn't have much tome to read through such walls of text, so I probably don't get all that is going on here, but from what I got...

From screenshots... I don't see anything so tragic. from the screenshots I see that those pointlights have pretty small radius and it falls off quickly. As you can see, ground is less than 1 large block away and is illuminated correctly. Ceiling one block away is is also illuminated correctly (best seen on edges, as they are at least gray... it is bit hard to illuminate black objects). Ceiling 2 large blocks away is not illuminated? Are you sure your radius is long enough to even reach ceiling? Also, when you are working with light... have you considered using colors, that actually don't absorb light, as much as black? If you have completely black item, even when light shines on it, it will still be black :D (
    )

PS what do you mean by "only "alphas" of a light glowing"?

PPS "(I mean, SE has problems with light going through blocks from interior lights but plain reversing, no)" There is no problem with light going through blocks. Don't know how familiar are you with techniques to create shadows, but shadows are not cheap (I am talking about shadows for dynamic lights that change position and for object, that also change position, shape and so on. In static environments that does not change at all, static light and so on, it could be precomputed.). And even spotlights have limitation that only... I think it is only 3 closes ones cast shadows. So it is not problem, it is limitation (in Tenzo's screenshots there are 7 lights, if he illuminated ship corridors in same fashion and all lights would cast shadows, then the performance would drop down like a brick.)

PPS if you have some problems, can you please summarize it in a bit... less "wall of text" manner please? :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Hi @Petr Beranek !

The reason I chose black in the beginning is to reduce the glare from the HDR. I'm not sure that the light is absorbed by the color entirely. This is how the block lights up when I turn on my flashlight.
    [​IMG]

And this is how the lights look:
    [​IMG]

Alpha: A grayscale image ranging from white to gray which has a wide range of applications in 3D software.
    (It appears the actual light is shining backwards, towards the voxels in the ground. Have you checked in the code, just in case? Maybe something got switched by accident.)
    And the alpha is just stuck on top of the model, by itself.

An example of a lens flare alpha:
    [​IMG]

This is the corner light turned on, on a ship I was working on earlier in the Empty World scenario: (with the default grey color)
    (I marked the area lit up by the sun. The corner light has no visible area of lighting around it.)
    [​IMG]

Also, you can see the light "alpha" in this picture, which is the same light as earlier. It clips through the model of the ship, which suggests it is applied after the real time rendering.
    [​IMG]

It also clips through the side of the ship when I fly along its side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I would build in a black hole at this point if I could escape the HDR. :)

For example, this corner block is reflecting the sun like a mirror into your eyes. I wasn't sure at first what the heck I built into the ship, then I realized it was just a corner block. But I had to think about it!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  13. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Admittedly, this is what the sun does when it shines on a metal surface incident to the reflection line and your eyes in real life. I think in SE they toned it down so that it isn't actually damaging (to your eyes).
    --- Automerge ---
    I see what you're referring to here. Your A, B, and C images show almost no illumination on the opposing surface, while your D, E, and F images only shows a subtle amount of illumination. In most of my constructions I've used the default charcoal color for blocks (as shown in my pictures above) and it has been predictably difficult to illuminate those spaces - but I am able to light them up. However more recently I've used the default white to construct spaces and have switched all lights on and off and seen substantial differences to the illumination of those spaces.

Notably, your images show exterior spaces which you said wasn't a problem. So is it worse in interior than you've shown?

Also, I have experienced the reverse lighting situation with a few Interior Lights (never with the others) but they aren't doing that anymore. If it does, it happens on a flicker when I move passed the light. But it's been a long time since I've seen that.

@Petr Beranek, I totally am still experiencing the lights shining through blocks problem (but only with spotlights). I'll get some shots of that and post late today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cetric Junior Engineer

I can confirm that. And also for interior lights. Example: I use a pair of them as position lights at the rear, starboard and larboard, and they shine forward into the build, through a closed armor wall, if only their chosen range allows that (small grid), as well as backwards to the open as they should.

15. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

Also have had issues with both interior lights and spotlights shining through blocks they shouldn't. Personally my spotlights flicker at certain viewing angles through blocks.
    To be specific, I have a large hangar in one of my ships that is illuminated with spotlights and when underneath this hangar where the floor should be blocking the light, one can occasionally see "flickering" illuminations of the ground or whatever else is beneath (behind the blocks). Some of this is sections of modded blocks only, but other portions are just armor blocks. Interior lights for sure leak light through blocks, happens all the time.
    Will add pictures tonight if I remember. *check below*

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  16. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Interiors? No, not I. Usually I build in open spaces because I enjoy the vistas. :)

Since the HDR, I've had to change vistas away from Lone Survivor and the Moon, where it's very harsh on my eyes... That why I was attempting the "stable lighting" perimeter. But it didn't exactly work out like I planned.

Anyway, this is what I was referring to earlier (about lights being broken for the interior):

1:55 of this video:

It shows his interior is kind of, well not lighting up at all.

And if you watch a few seconds more before he pans, you can see that they (the lights) also flicker. It's very quick because he pans right away, but there was definitely a flicker in the background before the pan.

So.. all in that one single pieces of video you can see random lights not lighting up the interior and them flickering.

(Perhaps they are related to the same issue in the code.)

The video is dated to Feb 6, 2018, so it was something that happened very early on to cause this "flickering/random lighting" problem. It wasn't in the more recent hotfixes after the major visual update... If that helps to track down this bug.

Also, in more recent video, Xocli on his stream last night was showcasing the interior of a WWII bomber, made with small blocks. It was a black airplane. It had interior and some interior lights and they were flickering on and off the whole time while he was looking around inside.

Overall, something weird is happening with lights.

17. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I have the exact same experience. The spotlights flicker or flash on and off through the opposing surface to the surface of blocks behind them, but I don't think the surface behind that (which for me is the grass). I might occasionally see this with the Interior Lights but it's most notable with the Spotlights. Here's what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

The Corner Lights don't seem to have this problem.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

Here's a bunch of photos of various lights and configurations. You can see clearly that light is bleeding straight through blocks, completely unhindered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Malware Master Engineer

That's not a bug. It's like that on purpose because shadowmapping is extremely heavy on performance, which is why only the spotlights have them and even they in a limited fashion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Cetric Junior Engineer

What I am doing as workaround, is , I am setting the beam length of spotlights to the distance they have from ceiling to floor, or halfway into the floor block layer, as to hinder the light from emitting on the other (lower story) side of the floor. This comes at a price, unfortunately, because the illumination looks dimmed down for that solution and the hall isn't brightly flooded with light.

21. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@boromir and @Royale98 did you guys have light filtering into the lower levels of your bases before the major visual revamp patch?

Or can you remember if they (the lights) worked the same as they do now? Did they also leak through blocks before the HDR update?

I think part of the reason that they (the lights) are not as strong is that the entire ambience has changed due to the HDR. You also have to go into the lighting code, and set that up in order to light up a surface that is HDR ready because otherwise, lights like the spotlight, and corner lights, etc will appear too weak.

HDR is a really, really strong filter. It tends to break all other lighting, perhaps not in terms of code, but in terms of overpowering existing lights that were setup for a non HDR environment.

That doesn't really explain all the flickering though.

22. Cetric Junior Engineer

You don't ask me, but I can answer that. Yes they did. And for a long time, maybe all the time. I don't remember when they did not. I could live with it, though, I am actually used to it, and I am not the kind of making a scandal here and whining "the game is dead/abandoned/dying/done for"...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. boromir Apprentice Engineer

@Tenzo, so I got serious with SE at the tail end of the major Physics update, so from what I recall the spotlights were passing through the blocks almost constantly. This is my memory because I remember being surprised there was still flickering of the light passing thru after the Visual Update - I had thought they would have fixed that, but it wasn't a major issue to me because I was focused on other things. I could be totally wrong tho.

24. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Okay, so it seems just the general flickering part is new.

25. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

In my experience, it's been like that as long as I can remember.
    HDR shouldn't be causing those issues though, HDR modifies what a person sees on their screen, it shouldn't have any effect on how the lights operate. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

I know it's not a bug. But Petr Beranek had said: "There is no problem with light going through blocks"
    Even though there clearly is. Light should be blocked by objects, it isn't, at this time at least due to resource management/performance.
    --- Automerge ---
    If you're having issues with flickering lights in general, remove some or turn some off. SE hates when you have too many lights on. I had a several hundred lights on a ship and I had to cut it WAY down cause of the flickering.

26. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Just to be clear, and this might not be very popular, but I like the results of the Major Visuals update, including the HDR filter. I haven't seen any visual problems (save for the intermittent flickering and light pass thru) and I think it (the update) adds a nice polish to all of the visuals in SE. I think the metal panels look really good in a variety of lighting levels and sources.

I turned off the HDR for a little while and it made it a little more crisp but less immersive so I turned it back on. Yeah there's a subtle blur to everything but that only seems to happen to distant objects. I think the darkened environments look sufficiently dark (especially cool when a ray of sunlight beams in), and the sun filled areas with all the shadows, reflections, and glare are really cool too. Even the very subtle green glow on a white wall from the conveyer in a pitch black room is super cool.

A lens flare in the helmet visor would be awesome sauce (with a sound effect for open and close). :woot:

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Malware Master Engineer

He says the same as I did :) He probably just meant that it isn't a bug. As in, it's not considered a problem because it's by design and there is no solution to it at this time. Language issues, I guess. All games have this issue, it's just that most games have the option to control lighting better by using various "cheats" that's simply not available to games like SE and ME due to their highly dynamic nature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Open question: do the particle effects such as the new missile/rocket smoke trails scale in any way with graphics settings, or are they fixed? If fixed, does this mean they are essentially locked at "extreme" quality even for users of "low" settings?

I wonder what the gold-haired doll thing is in Petr Beranek's profile picture/avatar?

29. Cetric Junior Engineer

I can imagine developers make voodoo dolls of most nasty gamers and forum writers and then put needles into them, while displaying them on the desk. And deep in the cellars of KEEN Softwarechurch, there is a crypt where the most notorious ones are collected. :woot:
    --
    But why don't you ask Petr yourself?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Thanks for setting it to a right way. I didn't have much time to reply.
    Yeah, it is not a problem, it is not a bug. As I wrote there are limitations by-design. If all lights had shadows, people wouldn't argue here about SE being game/sandbox/platform. It would be slideshow. :D

PS @Arcturus It is in fact a head one of the wire statues I created. I use it as my avatar. It has silver hair, but as I took it in bad lighting :D with old phone years ago, it is yellowish (behind it white wall).

PPS @Cetric Well. Actually you are quite close :D Few weeks ago, after noticing few atrocities in code left by those-who-came-before I decided to create voodoo doll in which I will stick one nail per atrocity found in code :D (Partly from frustration about fact, that those things are left in code by people already not here, so there is no other way to to make my revenge after fixing it :D and partly as I needed another project as I have not been doing art things for too long time (I am creating it from chainmail fabric (it will last way longer than cloth) so it will take few more weeks to finish :D ))

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.