Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.187.2 - More Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Harbinger Ace Trainee Engineer

For such a small dev team, you are genuinely putting effort into polishing SE. For that, I applaud you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Malware Master Engineer

Check spam mails. They're having the classic trouble of being unfairly marked as spam. We used to have the same trouble where I work, still do from time to time. It's hell to clear out, especially if the mail providers decide they don't want to cooperate... :(

3. Kaemmelot Trainee Engineer

Thanks for trying, but I'm aware of my spam folder and there is no keen mail inside :(
    I also tried to reapeat the registration multiple times now, giving the system some time (days) in between, but nothing happend...
    IF this is a problem with my mail provider, then it must be filtered out earlier in the process (which I doubt, because I haven't had any problems within the last 12 years^^)

If I could help keen to check this by giving them my mail address, please let me know.

4. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

It would help. Keen has an issue on their end where emails aren't being sent to certain domains. If you have an alternate email address from another provider (gmail, hotmail etc.) try using that one instead, and give Keen the domain of the one that isn't working.

5. Smokki Trainee Engineer

Huge thank you for the whole team! Wheels on my vehicles work again like they did before 1.187. Thank you :)

6. Thrak Junior Engineer

Glad they sort of fixed the small-grid welders, but now the small-grid version of the Nanobots Build and Repair mod is causing crashes and missing ships. Ah, well...

7. Hysterity Trainee Engineer

Why does the updating process have to be so difficult and time-consuming by having to uninstall the game and then reinstall? Why can't there just be a forced update on Steam like literally every other game has??? That's why I haven't updated since 1.186

8. Cetric Junior Engineer

Don't know what game you are talking about, it certainly is not Space Engineers. I don't have to uninstall and reinstall for updates. Never in two years while I am on the cruise.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Steam > Library > Space Engineers > Properties > Updates > Automatic Updates = 'Always keep this game up to date'

• Like Like x 2
  10. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

25/08/2018
    Space Engineers Hotfix 1.187.204

Fixes for issues:
    crash when grid is being merged to a station
    crash after collision with asteroid
    crash in respawn screen with modded respawn ships

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  11. kitsunelegendXx Trainee Engineer

A friend of mine says he cannot turn on creative mode unless he checks the experimental mode. Is this supposed to be like that? Or did he find a bug?

He's running the latest version. No betas, no previous versions, ect.

12. Roxette Senior Engineer

Yes, creative mode is considered experimental..

[​IMG]

it's the ultimate catch-all disclaimer that indicates there are still so many problems with the game that they can't or won't fix...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Here's a question I can't answer for myself because I can't play the game right now.

What happened to auto pilot? When last seen (by me) auto pilot gained a new 15 m/s speed limit on planets. That's mighty slow, folks. Now we have "Experimental Mode" and I wonder if auto pilot is now "Experimental" and, therefore, "back burner" material? Even more so than it was before?

14. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Nah, Remote Controls are still supported in theory. They fixed the 15m/s top speed keen, but there are several more in the autopilot that renders it useless atm.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  15. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

more added bugs or the speed thing was all they fixed?

16. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Not sure. it's always been so Keeny for me that I don't use the autopilot enough to note anything other than it's still so full of Keen that I should continue not using it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, right up to the speed bug I was having a great time with auto pilot. It was so good at landing whatever contraption I threw together and getting it back up to space again that I just stopped manually landing and taking off from planets. That speed bug was a real monkey wrench and I'm glad it's gone.

:tu:Thank you very much, Keen!:tu:

There is still, then, a problem where when heavy ships reach a waypoint they don't continue to the next one. I have submitted an idea for a solution and I hope people that have had similar issues would check it out and vote. If the auto pilot is to remain a core feature it should work predictably for the novice user, whom may not have access to programmable blocks if they're not in "Experimental Mode" and scripts are the only solution to the current problem.

Otherwise I think they work fine for small ships and drones. Fine, but not perfectly ;)

18. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Um, no autopilot is broken atm. That keen where it stops at a waypoint has a workaround where you toggle the collision avoidance on/off and it continues on. Still, very annoying.

There's another keen where it just skips 1-4 waypoints for no reason, a keen where it loses it's position and starts rapidly cycling through all the waypoints, and yet another keen where it just stops at the gravity on/off point leaving a planet.

19. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Yeah, I know about all of those. Has to do with how auto pilot manages thrust. AFAIK this bug does not affect small, light craft (like the ones Keen prefers you build). Large and/or heavy ships that fall below 3 m/s or so don't re-accelerate but, in some cases, the auto pilot will cycle through waypoints as if the ship is still moving. I never associated this behavior with the status of collision avoidance, so I will have to test that when I get a chance to play again.

I was watching JGrYnD stream yesterday and he graciously set up an auto pilot on one of his ships so that I could see if they were back to "normal". It was a fairly large and heavy ship and it flew to the surface and back without incident. Just like me, he was doing this in Creative single player. I know that auto pilot is not popular on servers for some reason.

20. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

The drones I work with are all small grids. The AP will keen out randomly. The same drone will go through the circle route 3x and then just jam up. I also forgot to mention the 'refuses to lock connectors' keen.

Regardless. They definitely need a lot of work.

21. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Is this happening to you because you are on a server, or does that matter? My personal single-player experience is that if a ship makes a circuit once, it will every time, unless its very large and/or very heavy.

22. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

It happens in SP and MP. Although it does tend to occur more when the drone is loaded.

23. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, a while back I attempted to build the smallest large grid useful ship I could build, and then modified that ship to be able to land on planets. Both ships had the remote control block as the first block placed, with the rest being designed around it. Here is the lander
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I rarely fly this ship manually. It's actually more of a drone. It flies all the way to the surface and sets down on its gear, and then flies back to space. With collision avoidance on it will avoid any ships I might actually be flying and any other ships on remote. I have both ships running some fairly complex routes and they run them without incident for hours. In fact, I can end the session and when I start it back up they just pick up where they left off.

The same is true for this ship
    [​IMG]
    Yukon can operate on a planet, but does not have the power to return to space. However, I have had this ship running between groundside waypoints with great success. It has never gotten lost or forgotten what to do. Both of the other ships could fit inside this one.

The only ship that has given me any real trouble has been Chilkoot Trail, so I attribute the problems to size and weight. Even so, when auto pilot works it works very well. One time I set a course for Chilkoot to make a low pass over an asteroid and I didn't correctly account for a spar sticking out from the lower side and the auto pilot prevented the ship from snapping it off. In the process the ship had a chance to take a good look at another ship that I had spawned in and I guess Chilkoot just didn't like it

Still, auto pilot did its job, but ultimately Chilkoot tends to be the ship that stalls on a waypoint.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  24. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

9/4/2018 - Hotfix 187.205
    - fixed issue with lander sinking into the planet ground on DS
    - fixed shadow flickering on AMD Vega

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  25. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

Good work, any news though on when the next big patch will be?

26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

How about server restarts slaving to server time rather than up-time? Regularly scheduled restarts work a lot better for players than arbitrary cycles.

28. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I don't understand why people always ask when the next update will be?
    If Keen wanted us to know, they'd have told us.
    --- Automerge ---
    That's a little more complicated than it seems.
    What happens if you start up 15 minutes before your scheduled reboot time? Do you restart a freshly started server?
    If you opt to skip it, what's the cutoff? What happens if you start up 15 minutes after restart, do you skip the next one?
    Does that cutoff value now need to be added to the config?

Related, what I would like to see is the server checking for updates continuously, and auto-restarting when a patch is posted.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Has it really come to this? Is this the kind of dilemma we call complicated now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Thrak Junior Engineer

I was hoping one of these minor updates would address the ridiculous amount of force imparted to grids when struck by missiles, an affect introduced in one of the last major updates before multiplayer. Sadly, it looks like this is a feature working as intended. @NikolasMarch posted a suggestion on the Support site asking that this absurdity be rectified. I hope folks here will add their votes to this: https://support.keenswh.com/spaceen...missile-impulse-makes-npc-combat-unplayable_1

tl;dr: Some missile impact force is fine, but the current level of force is waaaaaaaaaaay too much.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.