Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.189 - Major Overhaul of Survival, Ladders, Leaving Early Access

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I heard there was an update coming, but did not hear that it was huge.

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

This afternoon's hotfix information copypasta from Discord because Keen can't be bothered to post the information anywhere else themselves:

19/03/2019
    Hotfix: 1.189.043

-Fixed crash when drilling
    -Fixed crash in drop containers
    -Fixed crash when drills interacted with changed voxels
    -Fixed crash when exiting a game after using a large brush size of a voxel hand
    -Fixed crash in antennas on server reconnect
    -Fixed crash when there are invalid/missing sound drivers in the system
    -Fixed crash when grids with unsafe values caused the warnings on the screen to update at the same time
    -Fixed a few leaks as a result of better tracking
    -Fixed misbehaving physics, where collisions became increasingly offset over time
    -Worked on another iteration of attempting to fix disappearing physics
    -Added Havok statistics and memory tracking into the log

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Therolt Trainee Engineer

Cheers. Would have liked to see these notes on steam where I actually get the update.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

Seriously-- I need another Discord subscription like I need an anus in my forehead.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Asteroidhopper13 Trainee Engineer

So after this update today, my game client is all kinds of messed up. I have ingots and ore icons not appearing in inventory yet the name of the item and quantity still do. This appears to be random, and the thumbnail images for workshop content as well as the new game scenarios and custom game thumbnails are gone. Half the items I can build do not show a transparent view of the item before you place it, only the red box in which the item will sit in. Small armor blocks get placed and are invisible until welded, and the production window only shows half of the icons of items that can be produced. On top of that, my space suit light isn't working, and when I go into character customization to change my suit color, the model of the character is so low resolution that 60s TV had a better texture. Even when trying to select a skin for my tools, the character holds his hand up as if holding the tool but nothing is there, it is invisible. I have attempted to delete and reinstall the game 4 times already including clearing out the roaming folder as well as updated windows 10 and my graphics drivers, the problems occur on local games as well as private servers, these issues never came up until the update today. Even tried steam file verification of the game files...I have absolutely no other idea to fix this incredibly annoying issue. Clearly, the latest patch has broken something, I can't be the only one having these issues.

6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Cetric Junior Engineer

I would qualify this part of your complaint as having seen the tool 'clipping'. Have the same, even though I thought for some time it was caused by some mod. Still there. As I am playing in creative mode, I don't mind much. People in survival will see this much more often.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Emod Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the hotfix!! Now the physics won't freak out and trash my entire base anymore.
    I haven't been able to play for a long time because of this.

9. W0lfMax Trainee Engineer

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this bug yet. Control/flight seat suffocate you when you open visor in airtight area. It was a bug pre-release that was fixed but it seems to be back. I know the suit draws O2 from the from the area if O2 exists but hey sometimes its the little things that make a game.
    And why doesn't the Basic Refinery refine Silver ore when the Basic Assembler can make Medical Components? Seems a bit pointless. Ether take Med Components off the assembler or add silver to the refinery. I appreciate you want a reason to progress to a full refinery but Gold, Platinum and Uranium would still be enough of an incentive without silver.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

With the basic assembler you can deconstruct components that do have silver to get the silver you need? Of course right now, off the top of my head I can't think of the other components you can salvage off of drop pods that do have silver in them... :)

11. Thrak Junior Engineer

Flight seat suffocation: It's been reported but thus far, ignored. Go vote: https://support.keenswh.com/spaceen...c/no-airheat-in-flight-seat-public-test-21419https://support.keenswh.com/spaceen...c/no-airheat-in-flight-seat-public-test-21419

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Kargul85 Trainee Engineer

Smal Conveior doesn't appear on the list of small vehicle blocks, doesn't connect containers. Does anyone have such a bug?

13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Ain't nuthin' no more. I used to deconstruct reactor components from drop pod small reactors for their silver so I could build hydrogen and oxygen bottles, but the new version doesn't require silver for them anymore. No great loss there. But if you want to build medical components, then you'll need an advanced refinery and source of silver.

14. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Spaceman Spiff I saw somewhere on the forums that getting to space was easy with just your suit, used to be you couldnt. Just take a bottle of Hydrogen in your inventory, boom you are in space.

I tried it and low and behold it worked, and straight above my base where I tested this an asteroid with just about all the materials I needed. Kind of a let down to be honest. Hopefully, they fix that.

15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I always used to be able to do it with a single bottle of hydrogen. But honestly I've never tried it since the latest version update. I guess I expected that the player's suit power would run out too quickly.

Lately, I've been working hard to ignore shortcuts like that. Another "shortcut" is to simply fly up to a pirate ship or facility, grind one component (or stick on a passenger seat; 10 interior plates and you're there!), then reassign ownership to me. Boom! I now have a fully functioning ship and/or station and/or planetary facility. It makes the challenge no challenge at all.

I recently uploaded a modless scenario called Fresh Start Alien where I start the player on the alien planet (with spiders, of course), but with a Vortex Energy power tower and my Blue Crab miner (I might as well use stuff I've designed); I intentionally placed it very close to a large iron-nickel-cobalt deposit and all other ores (and ice) are within about 3 km of the starting base. There are three nearby pirate facilities (my upgraded versions with more firepower), and the ultimate objective is to neutralize those facilities. (As a side note: it's had nearly zero interest since I uploaded it.) I've played it through intentionally ignoring the fact that I could, in a few minutes time, jetpack over to each of the three facilities, shuck-and-jive my way in with my 10 interior plates, stick on a passenger seat, and convert them over one-by-one to my ownership. Instead, I mined lots of ore, built refineries, built an assembler, built a ship, went to space with enough components to start a remote refinery station, mined lots of uranium and platinum (for power and for 200mm rockets), refined it all, headed back to the planetary base with those precious ingots, built another ship for assaulting the three facilities, and shook each to their foundations.

I almost added a mod to disable jetpacks on planets, but decided it was too harsh for most players. Besides, anyone can enhance any of these scenarios with the mods of their choice.

It's the process that makes Space Engineers interesting and fun. The most important thing to remember, however, is that there is no spoon.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

Just to add to "getting to space is now easy" topic.
    Out of curiosity tested few older test builds - one large grid Hydrogen tank with one large thruster.
    This setup now has more than enough fuel take grid to orbit from earthlike and back on full thrust (that is 100% thrust override all the way up,
    had ca fuel 50% left after landing).
    If i remember correctly it was possible to get to orbit with one tank/thruster using throttling. Worked best with scripts.

Not sure how to feel about this, but guess this is result of people wanting to fly small hydrogen powered ships without worrying about fuel.
    ---
    Not sure how much thrust LG large Hydrogen thuster now has (notes mentioned 20% increase i think), but before update it was capable lifting over 500 tons in 1G.
    So now getting 500 plus tons of stuff into orbit is easy indeed.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  17. Malware Master Engineer

@SileniusFF Perhaps. But at least now it's perfectly possible to ignore the existence of the utterly boring ion engines so you get a general fuel management requirement without it getting too crazy. To me that's a plus that easily outweighs the rather short-lived challenge of getting stuff up from planets.

18. Kalantris Trainee Engineer

Yeah, fuel... That's what I don't really like about jetpacks and engines/batteries in general. I would expect ships to have their power sources, not batteries. The only viable source is uranium, which is kind of boring and it shouldn't be able to power atmospheric engines anyway. What I would love to see is:

1. Introduction of fuel (as shale oil for example which is refined in refineries to jetfuel and oil to keep it simple).
    2. Oil would power engines, jetfuel would power atmospheric thrusters and atmospheric jetpacks.
    3. Two types of jetpacks - atmospheric (with the same limitations as atmospheric thrusters as far as hight goes) and space (based on ion engines using power).
    4. Atmo jetpacks would have fuel tanks and fuel bottles you can carry around.
    5. Space jetpacks would have batteries and you could carry around pocket batteries, which would be charged either when stored in containers or when walking on powered grids by induction.
    6. Better versions of both atmo and space jetpacks could be crafted with better efficiency.

That would fix the problem of jetpacking into space and would make crafts more like self-sustaining machines rather than just extendable parts of your base. I mean batteries could be used as a primary source at the beginning before you have access to better resources.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Real light-water reactors don't produce power at all, they produce heat (just like a coal-fired plant). That heat is used to flash water into steam; this expanding gas spins a steam turbine. The turbine spins a generator and, voilĂ , you have power. The steam is cooled, via cooling towers, back to liquid water and pumped back to the reactor to be re-heated, all of this in a closed loop. SE sort of condenses the entire power cycle into one component they call a reactor. So, yes, a reactor is a valid source of electrical power (as is a hydrogen engine, a solar panel, or a wind turbine); a battery, on the other hand, stores power for later use.

If, however, you believe the atmospheric engines of 2077 are still operating on fossil fuels, it's my opinion that you are sadly mistaken. Hydrogen fuel cells are more likely, but electricity is the most likely, and battery technology will be much better and significantly more efficient then than now. Every year we see breakthrough advances in those technologies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Kalantris Trainee Engineer

I know how LWRs work, but thanks for the quick rundown. I imagine the reactors as complete sections, not just the reactor part producing heat, but armed with a much better and efficient heat to electricity converter not based on spinning big things around (which is what we do for all power sources excluding fotovoltaics). You have to bear in mind we don't have actual power cables as well, which is a way bigger problem electricity wise than unrealistic reactors. As a design decision I would just change all uranium to thorium for the SF effect. That's a sidenote.

The way they are batteries are nonsensical, especially because of all the breakthrough advances you mention, but gameplay-wise they would be completely broken. They should charge immediately and wirelessly in 2077 at least. They would probably have way more capacity. A quick calculation on a piece of paper (mentioning in case I lost a zero somewhere and am sorely wrong) shows, that energy density for batteries in SE isn't even twice the density of the batteries of today. Today we're around 0,6kWh per kg, according to SE we'll be at 1,08kWh per kg. Which is still 13 times less than gasoline, so yeah, we'd still be using fossil fuels in 2077 if battery technology still sucked so bad. Especially since oil isn't a fossil fuel per se. If they worked the way they would have to work to make gasoline obsolete, they would be broken.

All the changes I mentioned are focused on making the gameplay make more sense. Even if there are some sacrifices along the way they are minor compared to the sacrifices already made.

21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

If I had a nickel for ever time I saw gameplay logic that was illogical...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.