Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New! Update 1.193.1 – Happy Holidays!

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

I fixed my multi-grid communication grid using unicast. Thanks guys for the help.

2. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

I agree, the Steam Offline red warning is ridiculous.

I play with Steam offline all the time. Why would you want to penalize players for playing with Steam offline? That message ruins immersion and is otherwise completely unnecessary. It's like saying, warning, your graphics card is set to 100% performance mode. Why is Space Engineers telling me things that have nothing to do with Space Engineers?

Otherwise, thanks for the small windows blocks! That's exactly what I have been hoping for, for a long, long time. Cheers! :)

3. ChozoSR388 Trainee Engineer

Would you even know if there was, given that you stated you haven't played the game since it was introduced?

4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I looked through settings and could not find a way to disable it, as far as I am aware there is no way to disable it.

If you know how to disable the message please tell me, if anyone knows how to disable this repugnant message, please tell me.
    --- Automerge ---
    So I reinstalled the game to make sure I was not missing an option to disable this new message stating I have chosen to start my steam client in offline mode.... and I cannot find a setting anywhere to disable it.

These are the areas I looked, if I am missing it could someone please point it out to me, or if there are more setting menu's I am not aware of please could someone point me in the correct area to turn this message off permanently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Roxette Senior Engineer

I looked into it, it's hard coded in, there's no way to disable it other than by patching the executable files, most annoying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Well, looks like I have to wait for Keen themselves to fix this.

:<

7. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Merry Xmess everyone!

Great update! Recently I've got back to SE. Just one quick question, anyone knows how to turn off red prompt from top right corner of screen? I am abroad so I'm usually offline, since recent update somehow game constantly reminds me I'm off grid - thanks Game, I'm aware of lack of connection in the middle of sea. Anyway, tried to look through option with no luck so thanks in front for any tips.

Edit. My bad, didn't notice there's already 2nd page. Ok, prompt is hard coded with no way to turn it off. I can make my fps and other crapp counter so big to hide darn thing, briliant, but still half measure.

Merry Xmess again!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. KissSh0t Master Engineer

So it's now the year 2020 and I would like the ability to disable the message telling me I have set Steam to offline mode Please, I play Space Engineers Singleplayer with Steam set to Offline Mode.... this is why I purchased SE in 2014, this is how I still want to play the game in 2020.

I have Tweeted at Space Engineers twitter account which resulted in the community manager leaving a generic "Thanks for the feedback, Username" comment, I have politely Tweeted my discontent at this change at @marek_rosa which resulted in Marek adding the @keenswh twitter account, I have reported it as a Bug, I have Reported it as Feedback.

I don't know how else to convey my absolute disgust at this "Feature"......

9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

All this annoyance is annoying me! :pbjt:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Please note, Keen, that until now this was considered impossible.

They pissed off KissSh0t!

KissSh0t!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KissSh0t Master Engineer

So my bug report on the keenswh feedback site for this unwanted message of setting steam to offline mode was marked as a duplicate even though my report was the original report... little silly... liiiiiitle silly.

Fix the issue please, I would like to play SE again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 11:17
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

Just turn steam in online mode ... damn whats wrong with you. If you play SE, many features are not available, since DLCs may not work and also the skins... please stop this mimimi and wait for the report on your ticket. The support team saw this ticket, since its marked as duplicated.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Late Late x 1
  13. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I do not purchase DLC for video games, but I did purchase Space Engineers, if SE is going to force online only functionality for what I consider a singleplayer video game "the reason I purchased it", I will just move onto something else although I don't want that because I like SE, all I'm trying to do is get the message across that putting an annoying message into the game starting with update v1.193.1 is unacceptable.

Hopefully it will be fixed, If I am coming across as annoying I apologize, I just want to enjoy Space Engineers.

*edit*

now that you mention it, it does look like I'm going mememe seeing as the forums have become pretty inactive lately.... it didn't used to be like this it used to be way more active, I guess it started to die down a bit when the game was "Released" out of beta.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 11:47
  14. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

You should not be forced to play Space Engineers in Online only mode.

That warning is crossing that proverbial red line between online always games and regular games that don't care if you're online or offline, even though they have multiplayer features.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

@KissSh0t I will understand you, if you could not even play space engineers. But you could, even in singleplayer and offline. Its just an information banner. The experimental banner is also annoying, but why you do not argue about that?
    You could not use the experimental features, without this hint... you understand? I think, space engineers has bigger problems as the steam offline banner. The Multiplayer part is more important... since there are more people arguing about sim speed, than about the banner
    --- Automerge ---
    You are not forced to play online... You can Play SE offline in singleplayer. The online mode is in singleplayer important for the DLC verfication and its important, since you should not be able to crack it. Its more secure to force online mode for this and its fair for all players who bought it.

But you are still able to play the game offline...

16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yes, he can still play the game offline, as long as he is willing to be constantly told that he is offline. Constantly. For as long as he is playing. Every single second. Every time he plays. Only someone that never plays offline would find that acceptable.

I never play offline and I find it totally unacceptable. Even though it does not affect me personally, I still find it annoying. The "experimental" banner can be toggled off. Were that not the case I would stop playing as well. KisSh0t has been playing SE since the beginning. He knows the difference between online and offline and over the years has not found a compelling reason to play online. He's not alone. Many people play SE offline and prefer it that way.

The banner itself was not intended to remind people playing offline that they are playing offline. The purpose of the banner is to warn people that are playing online that they are now, for whatever reason, offline. The only reason for a banner that tells you that you are offline is to tell people that believe they are online that they are not. No other reason for it.

Keen (I hope) is not trying to force online mode. That would be a bad idea. We don't all have good internet, and in single player mode there is really no good reason to be online while playing. What's happening here is that someone at Keen enabled the warning feature and forgot to add a toggle to turn the warning off and/or add code to disable the banner for people that start the game offline. It is not uncommon to have problems like this after a major update, and unfortunately it is also not uncommon for hotfixes to come late when an update drops right before a major holiday season. Staff takes a break and also celebrates the holidays. Break time is over now for most people, and I expect this issue will be addressed expeditiously.

Because if you have managed to piss of KisSh0t, you've really stepped in it.

Not being sarcastic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Sure, SE has quite a few issues that need to be fixed, I have spent years providing feedback and reporting bugs and it's always a treat to see things fixed... the "bug" if one can honestly even call it that added with update v1.193.1 is simply an annoyance that has stopped me from wanting to play the game, seeing a big red banner at the top right of the screen that cannot be turned off is immersion breaking / unnecessary, simply having a way of turning off the message with it's introduction would have been the ideal situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Malware Master Engineer

They're not forcing anything. To my understanding they're warning you because they can't get your Steam ID when in offline mode, and since they use this ID to separate player folders - well, that causes issues for people because it will point to a different save folder.

@bleakhead you can absolutely switch off the experimental warning, in the F1 screen I believe. This is why these people are annoyed. They made that one possible to switch off, so why not this one?

I believe (read: guess) the answer is that they consider the problem above significant, as well as what @Stardriver907 says about unintentional offlining, coupled with the quite plausible assumption that people deliberately going offline is a very small percentage - but I certainly see these people's point of view. It's not like there's even much effort in allowing to hide it...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Personally, I think it's a bad assumption, but even if it's true, is it worth losing anyone over? Most people that don't like it won't complain. They'll just quit. I'm not Spock, but logic dictates that if you deliberately start the game offline, you already know you are offline. If anything, you'd want an online warning. True or not, it makes them appear lazy and unresponsive.

If it's an issue, why not one of those dialog boxes where they explain the issue and you click to continue or not and then everything is clear, including the screen? Besides, you don't even get folders unless you set them up yourself.

I'm sticking with it was an oversight that they are going to correct. Right after they're done hanging drapes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Malware Master Engineer

No, it is not a bad assumption. I can't show you any evidence though so just keep your opinion :p Anyway I'm not defending their choice. As usual, I try to provide information (even if in this case it's just in the form of educated guesses). The information I give doesn't contain any reference to my opinion on the matter. I kinda fail in this case though as it's shining through that I didn't find it to be a good idea... :p

Yes you do. I'm talking about the strange numbers one in the appdata\saves folder. That's your steam ID. All of your saves are below that one.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Malware is correct, the game used to create the save file in one folder, since the micro dlc have been slowly added into the game there is now two different folders for the save file location, one is an offline save and the other is an online save, you can move your save files between the two folders and be able to load your save when connected or not, I am guessing it's a way for Keen to be able to make sure users who purchased micro dlc are the ones using them.

Here's a crazy idea, if loading a save from the offline save file location you don't see a message telling you are offline.... crazy idea I know, gotta think outside the box......

*stares off into the distance*

22. Malware Master Engineer

@KissSh0t The Steam folder thingy has been there a long time, long before release, long before DLCs. I can't even remember if/when there was just a single folder. I think it's more about multiple accounts on the same computer having individual saves, than anything else.

23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

24. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I noticed it about a year ago when I went to load my save like normal but it wasn't showing up, I looked at the save file and noticed the two locations instead of the one like it had always been, I moved my save file from one folder to the other, and then the game could see my save file, I am guessing it has not effected you because you don't run the game in offline mode.

At the time I remember thinking well that's a stupid change, and then going on my merry way because I fixed it myself.

25. Malware Master Engineer

@KissSh0t It's much older than that. And yes it has affected me.

According to my information it was there already in March 2017, that's the earliest I have access to - but most likely a lot earlier than that too. I think this was there from the start.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 21:00
  26. KissSh0t Master Engineer

A little longer than a year I guess, no more than two... I forget when exactly to be honest.

I think to test it you can just create a singleplayer world with steam connected, then close the game, start steam in offline, no net connection and go to load the save and it won't show because the game then looks at the offline save file location when the save was created in the online save file location.

You can manually move the save file between the offline to online save file location and vice-versa and then the game will see the save file.

27. Malware Master Engineer

@KissSh0t Check my edit

I know how it manifests, because as I said, I've seen it first hand :)
    --- Automerge ---
    I feel the need to specify that I'm just talking about the existence of the actual steamID folder, nothing else

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 21:06
  28. KissSh0t Master Engineer

As someone who has been playing the game since 2014 I think I would have noticed if this was from the start as I do play the game offline a lot, as I said I only noticed it because my save file "disappeared" and when looking noticed there were two folders instead of the normal one folder.

At the save file location C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves

The folder with the short number is the offline location, the long number folder is the online location.

Now I do have save file backups from 2014 and in them is one folder, somewhere along the way this change happened, the exact date I do not know, I noticed the change about a year ago.

[​IMG]

29. Malware Master Engineer

@KissSh0t I can only tell you what I'm seeing in the source history... and the code was there in March 2017.

And again I think there's a misunderstanding here.

And I've played since 2014 too :D

30. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It's fine, I'm not arguing just commenting on what I know from my own experience, and I do know how long you have been here on the forums :>

--

My account creation, I beat you by a few days mwahahaha.. now I'm just being silly :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1