Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.193 - 6th Anniversary & Decorative Pack II

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

CowMooFlage armor skin is part of Halloween "surprise" that was leaked (by accident?) yesterday. During stream @Blitzzz333 promised there'll be some news today :p

2. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Thanks Mojomann71 and SileniusFF.
    Yeah i think that sounds logical since you also get the cowsuit from the unindentified signals.
    Also like that Keen respects Halloween :woot:

3. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

Also this just appeared in Mars night sky:

4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I just joined my DS that I play on and was awarded the Cow Armor Skin (CowMooFlage), so I guess you just have to join a multiplayer world to get it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

$4 is a fair price for the work involved. The blocks don't offer any real advantage. But there will be a crowd that complains that they can't have nice things for free. Too bad Keen developers don't work for free and we can pay them in 'likes.'

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Cetric Junior Engineer

As expected, the usual shitstorm is in full blow right now.
    Just look into the Steam forum comments and latest reviews.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. chrisb Senior Engineer

I didn't read through the list, however, as I just put into the other thread.. Many congrats on the 'dec pack' well worth a buy.. Keep them coming. I'm really liking these bought in packs, help keep the game fresh.

The grouping of blocks is good, other than the angle windows the long ones. I used to be able to just rotate my mouse button (it was mapped to that) and swap invert/outvert is outvert even a word... ;)
    Well you get my idea. However now they are on seperate groupings.. :(

Also for the future, would a 'T' pipe joint in the conveyor system be possible. Save using a conveyor box. ;)

Other than that.. It's great..

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I would like it if in the future they offered other sizes of clear LCD screens. They are especially useful for in-flight information. Small ladders... yes... because not all cockpits are close to the ground. The open cockpit has been needed for a while. There's going to be backlash over that one because... cockpits... but we should definitely have more variations on cockpits. A tandem cockpit would be nice in the future as well as a large block variety with a conveyor connect face the rear.

As far as conveyors: a 1x1x3 small block conveyor port that converts between small conveyor and large conveyor would be nice (make it vanilla not DLC), T-junctions as well as armored conveyor tubes, T-junctions, etc. to help streamline builds to use less blocks rather than having to run dedicated conveyor tubes underneath your armor...

9. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I didn't even join a game, I just started the game and saw Steam immediately say 3 new items have been added before Space Engineers had even gotten into the main menu.

[​IMG]

10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I don't know how good of an idea it is to have players pay for things they can get free as mods. I bought the DLC just to get the medical scanner because I had a similar block made years ago that still can be placed but has no texture. Otherwise, all the other things I have had as mods for as much as four years. What I might have paid for (worn texture) I got free :D. As it is, replacing the modded blocks with DLC blocks still puts my builds out of reach for some players one way or another. They would have to pay to be able to build my ship if it's DLC, or currently they can download the mod, but if they go to a server that doesn't have the mod well, that's that.

I am gratified to see the level of passion that has gone into the decorative blocks which Keen's staff used to think were unnecessary. As more people get comfortable using these blocks, the dilemma concerning ship size should become more apparent. Creating space inside a ship exponentially increases the overall size of the ship, and PCU limits can be reached more quickly.

What I'm doing backflips about (no easy task at my age, but this makes me feel like a kid again) is the ability to turn off gyro control in consoles. I can't begin to express my... consternation... whenever I sit down at a control console and deciding to have a look around, and then having to spend a day making repairs because I forgot to press the ALT key first and my giant ship swung around and broke a lot of other stuff.

There was almost no point in turning off "control thrusters" if gyros could still be controlled. I tend to use control consoles to run systems and weapons, not to fly the ship. That's what cockpits and flight seats are for.

I spent the four bucks and I'm not going to miss them. I wonder if they will make enough money to pay someone to figure out how we can remove the helmet, backpack and jetpack from the player character so that they won't look so weird walking around in a normal environment?

11. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Thank you for this, and the other bug fixes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I'd be concerned that the mod-makers are treated fairly. Provided they are, I don't mind plunking down $4 every few months for a bit of additional content.

13. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Wow that issue I gave to Xoc about the soundblock crashing is already fixed that fast 0_o.

Heaven forbid they focus on giving something to 100% of the playerbase instead of focusing exclusively on your very very small minority group of "sup3r l33t hardcor3" crew. How dare they do something nice for everyone and not just you. How dare they forget this game revolves solely around you. Seriously dude give it a rest. They'll get to adding more weapons and such when they get to it. As much as you've complained elsewhere, would you rather them add rushed weapons and need a ton of hotfixes, or would you rather them get it right the first time? Because you can't have rushed and right at the same time on the scale you're talking about. And finally, stop toting that bogus 50% number. You admitted your crew has all of 2 servers out of the entire population of the game. That's not even 50% of the pvp playerbase.
    --- Automerge ---
    Totally understand why some folks may be leery of it, but consider some of the alternative downsides to said block remaining purely a mod and not being vanilla. Using my modded engines as the example in this instance. If someone wanted to subscribe to my engines, they're basically relying on me to support them and keep them up. If something goes wrong with the engines then it's up to me to fix it. Depending on how bad our hypothetical break is, there is no guarantee I will be able to fix it in a timely manor or even at all. If I were to decide it's more trouble than it's worth and abandon the mod, then that guy is out the engines he was using. If I decided I no longer like the current balance of the engines I could change them at any time with little or no warning to him on a whim. If I do support the mod he has no guarantee of how long. On the opposite end of the coin, if the mod were to become vanilla or part of the DLC packs, then it's becoming officially supported. If my engines were to become part of vanilla or become part of the DLC blocks then at that point it would be Keen supporting it and not me. It would be them fixing it if there was an issue and it would have the full backing of the company to keep the new blocks working, and even if I were to leave the game and SE lasted another 10 years after I was gone, that's 10 years of support for that block that I simply wouldn't be giving it on my own.

With all of that said I intend to keep supporting my engine mod as long as I'm able in reality. Still I'm sure you can see why some folks may prefer an official version vs a mod. Personally I don't see $4 as that much of an issue as folks spend more than that at a fast food drivethrough, and it keeps the lights on at Keen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

This is not necessarily about mods vs standard blocks. This is mods vs DLC blocks. Sure, DLC blocs will always work, but if you don't buy them you can't have them, working or not. If you go to a server that has the DLC and you don't, you can only use and enjoy the block if someone else makes it. The block will be available on Keen servers, but you have to depend on someone else to provide you with one, so don't lose it ;).

On the other hand, If you have a mod, the only place you can be sure it will work at all is on your own computer. Chances are slim that your favorite server will also have the mod, and there's chance that the server admin might have a beef with the mod and won't load it.

As it is, you are kind of in the same boat if you use either one when it comes to going on a server. The difference is that mods are free. That was the point I was trying to make with Keen. Now that I've written this, though, I guess maybe it doesn't really matter :)

15. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

The assumption I was making is that folks have bought it anyways per the standard example. Point being what do they value more, dropping $4 to get the DLC and having the blocks get guaranteed support, or the convenience of a free mod.

16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I'm thinking guaranteed support gets to be less of an issue with each update. At some point Keen will be, for all intents and purposes, done with the code, at which point any mod should be fairly safe. Also, I don't know if the people that won't use mods are the same people that will use DLC.

Modders give us variety. Kolt's Command Console Pack is still around even though the Modder has moved on, and the mod still works. We use it because it was the only alternative to the standard flight/console blocks. I've had some small ship flight seats for years. People avoided them because they were mods and they were afraid an update would obsolete them, but that has not turned out to be the case. Now there's a standard small flight seat, but you have to pay for it. Sure, it's guaranteed to work forever, but so will the mod, so where's the incentive to spend the money? As I said before, everything is fine as long as you play on your own computer. If you go on a server there's a good chance that neither my catwalk mod nor my DLC catwalk will work. At least the mod was free ;)

17. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

If you have the updated version by SEModder4 and Eikester. :)
    If I am not mistaken the original is broken either by textures or the seating. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. mleise Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the act of goodwill, moving the small control seat out of the DLC. That was quite a surprise!

19. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

ONE thing to Note... with that all said, so far, with the DLC's in-pocket, it appears to be as if it is still a vanilla game to me. I can build all the DLC blocks on any server so far. I cannot imaging KEEN saying.. "Well, if they have DLC then they can only play with the DLC Servers and players. So that is good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Chuggernaut Trainee Engineer

You know, I'll say the same thing I say on every release:

I got this game almost right from the start, back when we had ladders, and turrets were just set decoration. I have dozens, if not hundreds of mods installed, and over 8,000 hours of gameplay, all for a game I bought in public beta for next to nothing. They've been working diligently on a game that's over half a decade old, so I've got no problem throwing them $3.00, $5.00, or even $10.00 bucks (a ten dollar DLC had better be AWESOME, Keen. I'm talking 50 blocks and dancing bikini engineers or something.) The KSH team does amazing work keeping us happy, and I'll gladly pay for stuff to make the game more beautiful for me and for the machinima creating YouTubers I follow and aspire to be. :) I'd have issues with pay-to-play updates for non-cosmetic stuff, like more powerful jump drives and better weapons or something, and I am very happy they released the small-grid control seat to gen-pop, because that almost seemed like a pay-to-play advantage (albeit a small one.)

The bottom line is, if you don't like the DLC, then don't buy it. It's not going to stop you from being able to play the game, it's just going to change the look for you. And if someone else wants to buy it, don't give them grief for it. KSH is working hard on a product that they could easily shelve for SE 2: Klang's Revenge, or Miner Wars: Retribution, or Medieval Engineers 2: The Renaissance, or something else, but they choose to push updates and hotfixes and DLC because they want to make us, the community, happy.

I'm just gonna step off of my soapbox now. /Rant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. gumpy2k7 Trainee Engineer

Still waiting for the industrial cockpits. "Decorative" packs shouldn't contain functional blocks.

22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I think Keen is trying to keep DLC fair but engaging. They moved this cockpit out of DLC. They also made DLC cockpits accessible to non-DLC holders in multiplayer (usage not building).

I think DLC is here to stay. But I don't think it's going to be some sort of money-grab like EA or Bethesda.

23. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. kdjones511 Trainee Engineer

Hi. I love this game and I am happy to pay for the DLC content to help support the further development of the game. I'm loving the new decorative pack II.

Also, it seems like the game was optimized to me. I only have 8gb of RAM. It used to take about 15 minutes for the game to be playable when loading a new world, for me. Now it is loading much quicker. Thank you Keen!

25. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Yes, thank you for releasing a hostage after taking an extra 10.

Consider before you fall over yourselves with gratitude that it just might be an intentional highballing strategy.
    It shouldn't have even been done in the first place and it's inexcusable that it was.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  26. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Do you people ever get tired of complaining? I agree the small control seat should have been part of the base game to start with. Thankfully that has been rectified. As for the other blocks they're cosmetic blocks that don't have any effect on the game itself and you are under no obligation to buy them. You're not entitled to receive everything for free, and the game has to continue making money somehow to keep the lights on. For folks like myself that want to purchase the packs to support the game, the option is there. If you don't want to purchase them you don't have to. Even then it's a whopping $4. You'll spend more than that to get food in a drive-through.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Roxette Senior Engineer

Sweet, it's only taken a year to fix it this time. When's this scheduled to be re-added again ? :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Happy faces, everyone! Happy faces!!

(In other words, let's not be a Debbie Downer.)

29. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Anubis 2 Trainee Engineer

ha
    Happy downer here myself, though einstein's observation of human stupidity being realized by some people these days is too much at times.
    --- Automerge ---
    Keen get rid of this automerge it duplicated my post and deleted the wrong duplicate after I made a correction.
    --- Automerge ---
    Once again (stupid automerge) it might be a good idea to replace the control seat with something else so that those it might concern don't feel that their purchase has been belittled. I'm happy to support the game (one of the few reasons I buy these packs) but relocating features to the base game because people complain, especially since this isn't the first cockpit to be included in a pack seems like a slap to the face to contributors who continue to support the development of this game.
    --- Automerge ---
    actually just have the page automatically refresh after you make a post so the auto merger does its job and doesn't leave you thinking the site is bugged with a duplicate post.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.