Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New! Important Update 1.194.207 - New Planet Triton, Visual Scripting Tool Overhaul & Frostbite Pack

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 19, 2020.

1. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Crimsonknight Riczen Was playing with a friend last night, kept disappearing, so it is still there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I really love how combining 2 pistons into the same grid is causes phantom force again still...... thanks a lot keen... it's my favorite thing ever........ This is sarcasm.

Why is phantom force still a thing.

Hey, here's a feature request, please remove phantoms force.

*edit*

This is what I was doing, before this was working fine, both pistons extended and retracted, and there was no phantom force.... but today when I went to take the ship to go get some resources it started to spin by itself upwards, I removed the head of one piston and then it stopped spinning.

I combine pistons a lot to do different things, even 4 all combined into one.

Why not when combining them in parallel like this have one as the master and any additional is the slave and basically mimics the retract or extend state of the master and just remove the phantom force, phantom force is not helpful, it's annoying, it should not be in the game still all these years later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*edit*

This bug is still present... and yes I consider it a bug.

Loose items are not bouncing off the player model it is passing right through as if the player is a ghost.

The problem was player being Damaged by loose items, change that instead... making the player a ghost is nonsensical, change or disable the Damage the lose items cause, don't make the player a ghost.

Every single time I play SE I find a bug or bad gameplay design, it's getting a bit annoying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  3. Malware Master Engineer

@KissSh0t Phantom forces are simply a result of the simplifications required for realtime virtual physics. It happens to every single physics engine out there. The problem is the freedom of placement we have in SE. Most other games can cheat; either that anything with physics is placed by the game designers, or with limitations on how and where you can place such physics elements. That kind of restriction won't go down easy on SE players ;) so yeah, phantom forces is not gonna go away as long as the game simulates physics. We're simply gonna have to learn to live with that.

As for multiple pistons on one grid like it seems you want it in your image, adjust the Max Impulse Nonaxis. You're likely gonna want to increase that.

Make sure none of the pistons (and subgrids) collide with anything else, and that the pistons move with exactly the same speed, and you should be fine. Slaving isn't necessary.

4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Doing this has worked just fine in the past, what I am actually showing in the images above was working just fine last week for example, nothing is colliding, nothing has changed, I know full well the things that can cause phantom force in Space Engineers, funnily enough I've even spent unhealthy amounts of time trying to make it a form of propulsion.

Keen just need to change the way pistons act when combined in parallel like I have shown above, one master, the others mimic the master, when one piston is damaged / disconnected it then becomes it's own master piston.

Yes phantom force is to do with the physics engine, things can be done to stop it acting in ways that ruins the fun, which in the case I am highlighting above, that is what it's doing... it's ruining my fun and here I am complaining again on the forum....

5. Malware Master Engineer

@KissSh0t Read the entire post, I suggest solutions that has worked for me :) I'm sorry, but your suggestion won't change anything because that isn't the problem. It's the lateral impulse setting, I'm sure of it. It's causing one of the piston to stop, which again is causing the phantom force.

Your suggestion would make things easier though, that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It's a bit late for me to test now, already made some changes, survival mode grind.. will keep this in mind when trying again in the future... Still, I would like to see Keen try to fix more phantom force bugs.

Went to central piston and added a little rotating light because why not *shrugs*

Whoever designed this ship did such a good job, been modifying it for a while, the layout of the cockpit is so nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I see phantom forces in SE as a sort of prize...like what's in a Cracker Jacks box. Sometimes it's fun...other times a disappointment. Either way you get something you hadn't expected.

8. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Press F to exit camera view message being stuck on screen is still present..

[​IMG]

9. Tyler Goodwin Trainee Engineer

so I have a bug with the programmable block as well experimental mode and scripts are enabled and others on my server that I run can use scripts but the run and edit and recompile options are non existent in the block when I access it anyone have an idea ?

10. SchlauFuchs Trainee Engineer

Autosave on DS now freezes the game for 2 minutes. That is, a planet with two small player bases and one online player. The server is a Ryzen 3950X with 32GB Ram and Raid0 NVME Gen3 SSD

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  11. Onikage-056 Trainee Engineer

Latest update broke grinding in worlds with block destruction disabled...
    I can't grind down anything. Not my respawn pod, not the unknown signal pod I managed to push the full 3.5km back to said respawn pod, not even the steel block I placed for my base.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  12. zathras Trainee Engineer

I can't drill either, in my case it was rock. It makes a hole but I get nothing in my inventory. Luckily I got suspicious before I drilled the ore. I thought it was because the ore pickup mod might be broken - do you have mods? Is this broken for everytone?

13. Onikage-056 Trainee Engineer

I thought it would be the Modular Encounter System set, or the Hydrogen Booster... uninstalled all my mods, tried again... no dice.
    To grind *anything*, you have to enable block destruction, which was not a thing until this patch went live, and "Disabled grinding with block destruction disabled" is not in the patch notes.

14. SchlauFuchs Trainee Engineer

Every time I access an inventory/conveyor system, it forgets what I had set the filters to before. this was better before the patch

15. JaxStraw Trainee Engineer

Hello. Since the latest patch on the 27th, my respawn screen has now removed all my medbays or spawning options about 98% of the time. Log out and back in multiple times and if it does give me my medbays and I'm able to get in, I get connection problem.

I've never had issues with this game in several years until this new patch. I run a dedicated server powered by GTX gaming and have for some time with no issues.

Anyone else getting unmovable lag or spawn points vanishing from respawn menu at start up?

16. JaxStraw Trainee Engineer

Mine does the same. I never tried leaving it longer than a minute. Mine doesn't give me my medbays or spawn points 98% of the time. If it does it is stuck in the streaming "save" section and crashes the game. This is also on my DS powered by GTX gaming

17. Artika Trainee Engineer

When do you plan to fix the launch of the game on windows 7? It's just that the longer you try to do it or not, the less desire you have to play

18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Launch it on Windows 7? I’ve been playing it on Windows 7 and 10 for years.

19. Replic TuaniOne Apprentice Engineer

I kinda liked playing again, can't wait for the next update, seeing this might introduce compound blocks / small blocks on big blocks and lighting changes, keep it up guys :)

20. Malware Master Engineer

Now where the heck did you get that idea from?

21. Replic TuaniOne Apprentice Engineer

Look at the last picture they shared, the lighting looks better, also, look at the corners of the big blocks, they have smaller blocks (row of 5) with a light between it.

This either is a new full (big) block, or they are merging Big blocks with small blocks :p (which they kinda had, but now more seriously).
    And yes, I could be wrong and probably are, but one can wish right?

What do you think it is then?

22. Malware Master Engineer

Oooh, that image. I'm sorry, but... to me, that just looks like a small grid build with another armor skin on it... picture taken with that Ansel tool, probably.

23. Replic TuaniOne Apprentice Engineer

Guess we have to wait and see then :)