Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.195 - Sparks of the Future

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

something went wrong today. i loaded the game i saved yesterday, it showed bug fixed for the yesterday's DLC. but after my saved game loaded it froze and i cant move my character.
    i cant even exit the game because its on full screen and it seems to be always on top.
    so my task manager cant get in front but i can see the RAM usage on my task manager was 4GB ...

is this game 32 bit or 64 bit ?

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I haven’t noticed that yet, but my little Popcorn miner is...well...little, so maybe the wind doesn’t have much effect. It’s interesting to watch the wind turbines speed up and slow down, their output proportional to their speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

i was able to get in the game it didn't freeze this time but its REAAALLLY sluggish. yesterday with the weather system ON everything was so smooth i was impressed by it.
    now, im losing a heck of a framerate just walking around. top that with grinding my facility while its raining and it was a headache.

sadly, i think the end of my SE days is near as there is no way i can reproduce this which means its all in my head again.
    and i just bought Frostbite and Sparks of the Future DLCs yesterday because i was so impressed with the weather system ....

*sigh* i can't believe this ... :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. macgeifer Apprentice Engineer

If I remember correctly I spent 15 or 20 € for the early access version. All DLCs together are actually 19,40 € including the Deluxe Upgrade. Thats not even full price for 850 h. No reason for so much hate in steam forum.

Just wanted to say I am ok with the actual DLC style but more engineering focus would be nice. Vanilla hinges are a good starting. I am looking forward to Space Engineers 2 ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

I totally agree with you. Those are cheap DLCs with cool content inside. By the way, "haters gonna hate". Let's just ignore them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Honestly I think it's less about the price and more about the monumental bugs that have existed for months, if not years that were just never addressed. And I've seen people say that the DLC content and the Game development operate independently so that just because they are making DLC, doesn't mean they aren't fixing bugs... But I don't think the evidence supports that assertion.

If they had fixed some major bugs, really ground hard into optimizations, and maybe gave a teaser free... transparent roadmap to what they were actually doing before pushing out a half a dozen DLCs.... I know I'd still be playing this game. As for the DLC paying for ongoing operations, if anyone believes KSH is strapped for cash and NEED this DLC to work on S/E... I got some bridges you might be interested in buying.

If they had put half the effort into fixing the "ship anchored to location" bug, or any of the long standing, really annoying issues (I'd take multi grid projectors over frikkin neon lights ANY DAY OF THE WEEK)... a LOT of people wouldn't be bitching about the price. They'd be right there with you, throwing money at the developer to see things continue to improve.

I haven't played this game in forever... but I keep watching, because I keep hoping they will do something promising... but more DLC isn't promising. It's discouraging. Not as many people articulate their disappointment and discouragement as succinctly as i do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I've only jumped into one old savegame but it was active there so I think it may be active by default.

8. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

i couldn't agree more. though the DLC yesterday really got me excited and i was really happy to see that keen only sell decorative objects in the game but left the essential features free for download such as the weather system and the hinge.
    so excited in fact that even though i swore i would never buy another DLC for as long as the skin bugs from the previous DLCs aren't fix , i still bought two DLCs yesterday including the sparks of the future DLC as i was really happy.
    only to find out later for myself the NEW bugs appearing including some sort of a memory leak that uses up a huge RAM for the weather system. it was fine on DLC launch so i don't know what happened today.

so i'm now split with the issue on DLCs. im happy with updates that brings decorative DLCs for sale but comes with a free important feature. free for those who can't buy the DLCs.
    but im unhappy that it also comes with more NEW found bugs that will probably take a long time to address and will be piled up with the other bugs im still waiting to get fixed.

i too am very obvious in voicing out my disappointments with the bugs ( most importantly how "Support" handled my bug report )
    but yeah , it is almost a crime to give a negative feedback even though the idea is for the good of the game. you will be bombarded with condescending response from fanatics.
    i appreciate that they released the weather system for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

@Capt.SkuLL I was actually thinking about re-installing to give it a try, until I saw the underwhelming content and slew of bug reports concerning play, weather implementation, and dedicated servers immediately after the update. For now, my HD space is better spent on just about anything. Gonna replay the Mass Effect Trilogy I think since it was on sale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

Every update comes with many bugfixes, so it is a bit excessive to say that they don't fix bugs. Yes, some bugs are still unresolved but maybe these are quite difficult to solve. Bugfixing is not an easy task and they have to make sure it works for a wide range of different hardware configurations.

Last but not least, they are currently working on some big optimization for the multiplayer side of the game, they made an announcement about this both here and on the Steam client and they are conducting public tests on a dedicated server. ;)

11. Roxette Senior Engineer

Unfortunately, every update also comes with many NEW bugs... and/or changes to the game which may or may not have been disclosed in the relevant change notes... and thus has it been for years. Apparently learning from previous mistakes and the wrath of the player base those generated is not a thing that Keen do well... but at least we have small grid doors now... and lightning strikes... so...many...lightning strikes...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

EDIT : the default frequency for the weather change seems to be too fast ?
    im in a desert canyon and its raining almost non-stop.
    i can barely see the sun shine for a few seconds then it rains again.

anyone else noticed they fixed the "Sun is smaller than the other planet bugs" ? i mentioned this months ago, i was in space, and while the sun was moving and intercepted a blue planet,
    it appeared to be in front of the planet which was wrong because it would mean the planet is waaaayyy bigger than the sun.

now i see that blue planet is now in front, and the sun is behind them which is correct. i also noticed that there are some other spherical objects, possibly moons, appearing on planets.
    the moon seems to be well shaped now, it used to look like a Stone ore now it looks well rounded.

for your next update, please change the default skin to a proper astronaut suit. the fluffy white NASA suits with the large square like device on their back.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  13. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

I'm not arguing they've put work in. But it's one step forward, two steps back. I'm sure that some bugs are very hard to fix, and some are almost impossible to track down. But that doesn't excuse their track record in my opinion... and it's just that: My opinion. I put my money in and got many hours of enjoyment before things really became untenable in my experience and in that sense I consider it a done deal. I'm not crying about a refund.

I also never said they "don't fix bugs" I said if they put half the effort into fixing very old... very documented bugs, that they put into DLC... a lot of players wouldn't be complaining about DLC price. As it stands they put just enough effort in to push out something bug-ridden, spend weeks fixing it (when it should have been thoroughly vetted before release). Then immediately move on to more DLC.

Hell there's a bug just popping up recently about getting locked in Remote Control ship after merging... I documented the exact steps to reproduce this bug almost 2 years ago and it was confirmed by other players then completely ignored... until someone new reported it and Keen's response is "we're working on it".... No sh|t. Thanks for the update.

Clearly you don't play the game on a Ryzen CPU (Nor did I, but if I had... I would literally be up in arms for how long and how completely unaddressed their issue has been).

The aforementioned RC bug is relatively minor... very niche. The RYZEN CPU bug... is not. They should have dumped a ton of those DLC resources into fixing that issue for a LOT of players that are getting totally shafted in favor of neon lights. Maybe it takes a lot to fix such and issue. Maybe it takes serious focus. But the optics of releasing these frivolous content packs BEFORE solving an issue that massive is very, very bad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I don't think so. But perhaps if there was a way that a modder could tinker with the gravity vector during atmospheric events, it might add some interest to the game. Perhaps some really short lateral bursts of the force vector might simulate heavy gusting. I'm not sure if a planet's gravity can be altered dynamically and on the fly. It would be great if it could.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SchlauFuchs Trainee Engineer

1_195_020 crashes on me when joining my DS that was working fine before the updates. I checked the client logs it does not even log a stacktrace, and no memory dump - it just disappears.

16. Dabombinable Trainee Engineer

Does it use planets over 1000km in size? Because they also got broken (kind of pissed off - having to edit my SP saves to get them working).

17. Two Apprentice Engineer

I really love the new visuals, well done!

A question on the hinge: how will the game use thrusters attached to a hinge?
    The video shows 90° rotation of thrusters... will that actually work smooth enough to steer a space-ship?
    What will happen if I rotate the hinge like 45°?

18. smokingwreck Trainee Engineer

alrighty been a few days to sort issues thought vet give planatery start a go with weather on official server

pod landed - 30 sec later hit by lightning , about an hour later into base build I was hit then base was hit by lightning , took time to fix logged

today logged in started mining , base hit by lightning , as fixing it , was hit again , and again , and again , and again , as im standing in center of now splintered smoking base (5-6 pieces) wondering if i can salvage it , lighting hit me for the cue de gras = dead

my Take - wholly shite , i dont mind some difficulty , but thunderstorms every 5 minutes absurd im a vet that knows early game and couldnt do it ..... tone it down or prepair to tone down player retention :p

19. anomalousreading Trainee Engineer

Oops..
    • Fixed lightning frequency during thunderstorm increasing each time the server (auto-)saved

20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There are scripts that allow thrusters to work on rotors, pistons, and I'd assume hinges. @Whiplash141 has one in his workshop. Keen might be taking advantage of one in order to pull off the visual. Though you have to be careful with sticking a thruster on a rotor. If they aren't balanced they will create torque. I found that turning them off while rotating then setting the upper and lower limits to isolate them works well. You can also use landing gear to lock them into place as well.

21. kreo Trainee Engineer

Call me crazy but after update drill blocks seems like getting much less stuff and take longer to grind.
    Did not see anything like that in a patch notes so i wander if other experience this in multiplayer?

22. Roxette Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yes, I noticed that mining has been nerfed somewhat, and that ore formations are less concentrated (or so it seems).

24. KissSh0t Master Engineer

My Brain: ohh the lightning can damage my creations, well I guess that's ok seeing as lightning doesn't strike the same place twice.

The Lightning:

[​IMG]

25. SchlauFuchs Trainee Engineer

No, I have only standard sized planets. I tried three times and on the third time the whole computer froze. then after reboot the game started.
    I was not seing any Mars wather in my test run, but my buggy fell through the surface again right after a long freeze during autosave on a RYZEN system... So I think I wait for a couple of fix releases before I start stuff up again.

26. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

the UPDATE today shows the keen is listening and has heeded our request to dial down the frequency of the weather system and i appreciate that.
    it used to be instant for NEW GAME , then goes away then comes back 5 minutes later.

however, it was dialed down to 4000 seconds or about an hour and 6 minutes to change ( how long it remains before it goes away i have no idea )

my opinion is, that an hour to see the weather effects may be too far. possible meet somewhere in the middle. 30 minutes would be fine i think.

frequency of 30 minutes interval between each weather activation and let it stay for 5-10 minutes ? what do you think ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. ButterToads Trainee Engineer

Thank you for patching the bugs from this update so quickly!
    However, the replacement voxel fill-in from mined ore deposits are still unable to be mined.

28. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I can't be the only one that finds this kind of clipping infuriating?

Surely some of these blocks can be cleaned up or resized so they all snap together cleanly?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*edit*

I kind of wish there was an in-game method of taking ownership of all blocks that makes up a large ship without having to spend ages grinding down the entire large ship by hand and essentially building it from scratch by hand.

I have a large grid pirate ship that I took over and I keep getting attacked by drifting ships because some of the blocks in it still belong to the pirate faction.

It would be kinda cool if once we take ownership of important blocks then all the others switch ownership to the owner of the important blocks

--

Also, when looking through inventory of a creation why not group different colored groups together? it's already coloring the different grids differently so you can see what is on a separate grid, why not group each grid together?

It would make it easier to visualize what is what.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. PandaTv Trainee Engineer

the character skins are all very bent often when it dies it is reset or when getting off and getting off the ship

30. Amphitere Trainee Engineer

so is the fog/weather effects inside an airtight grid a bug or a feature. The inside of my ship is now like pea soup half the time when planetside.