Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Upgrade-able Blocks

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Wilkie, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Wilkie Trainee Engineer

Hey Guys,

First time posting, long time reading. I did check the Mega thread but I did not search fully if this has already been suggested.

I would like to suggest certain blocks be upgrade-able. What I mean by that is, say, you have a light armor based ship as you were sparing your iron in a survival game using realistic settings .Then you come across a major vein of iron and would like to change your ship design to use heavy armor.

Rather than having to grind down every part you would like to change, you could "Reinforce" or upgrade the blocks.

What do you think?

Thanks guys.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  2. VonKlutch Trainee Engineer

This would be kinda convenient, as the heavy armor just take up too damned much resources.

3. GenRommel Trainee Engineer

I feel like I have seen this suggested before somewhere, not sure if it was in the suggestions forum though.

This would be a good change. Nice if we could downgrade as well if we wanted the resources back or found out we made the ship too heavy with all that heavy armor.

What other blocks would this apply to though? Would they need to implement at least 2 versions of most blocks just to make full use of this feature? We can already upgrade refineries and assemblers, but we do it by adding external modules.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Levits Senior Engineer

There have been certain suggestions made where upgradable pieces of equipment (which I guess can mean "Blocks") did come up in the debate. Oddly enough, the concept of upgradable armor blocks as you have suggested wasn't among the list.

I actually like the idea of upgradable blocks and equipment personally, but for the game itself, I'm not sure how much additional programing or draw on ones processor it would be to implement the blocks to have that extra bit of code. Current blocks are simple because they are divided into their respective groups and as such have their preset values... not that it would be too difficult to manage I suppose (<not really a programmer myself), but the major question is how would you setup the blocks to convert from one to another?

You'd have to have a way to toggle the armor blocks to be either light armor or heavy armor. Now toggling all the armor blocks on a ship to heavy wouldn't be much of a problem as it could be setup using the single grid of the entire ship, what might be an issue in my opinion would be when you only want to select specific blocks to change. <That to me would be where issues would arise in just how much information (or data) each block is made to possess.

5. blizzerd Apprentice Engineer

Besides armour what else would you upgrade? and to what?

6. Sinbad Senior Engineer

if the blocks had a linear progression (light armor->heavy armor) you could introduce a now tool: the 'upgrade tool'. all it does is change the block to the next on the list. all components would be kept, and the build state would revert to the next block with the components of the last already populated. then you would switch to the welder to add the additional components and finish off the build state.
    other upgrade paths:
    gattling>HE gattling
    rocket launcher>homing missile launcher
    oxgygen generator>electrolyser
    conveyor>armored conveyor
    air vent>high flow air vent
    remote control>autopilot control
    cockpit>armored cockpit
    camera>zoom camera>pan camera(?)
    arc furnace>precious metals smelter>uranium centrefuge(?)
    door>double sliding door

I'm sure I can come up with more...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SenorZorros Master Engineer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wieszak Trainee Engineer

I think the possibility to do this as mod and maybe upgradable armour as example will be enough. Modders will use it very quick i think. But it should implement possibility of changing components - for eg. you build remote control block and want it upgrade to autopilot - rc block uses 20 computers (beside others) and ap uses 15 advanced compoters (for example). So to upgrade you need 15 advanced computers, but in process you are gaining 20 'normal' computers.

9. Wilkie Trainee Engineer

Mostly just had the basic armor blocks in mind for this. I.e. the ones that already have the two versions of light and heavy. If, say, they end up making heaving and light versions of more blocks like thrusters or cockpits(They can break fairly easily) they would be equally convenient to have.

Sinbad suggested some sort of "Upgrade tool" which I thought might be the solution too. But an extra tool JUST for upgrading? Maybe not likely. Who knows.

Obviously not in the immediate or foreseeable future. There are more pressing matters... *coughplanetscough*

10. Killacyte Senior Engineer

11. PilotMax Apprentice Engineer

I really like the idea of upgradeable blocks. Just using a welder to upgrade may be a bit tricky to make so the upgrade tool sounds good.

12. PilotMax Apprentice Engineer

I have a solution: what if the upgradeable blocks will have build states? And the materials would be added in steps like when one puts an armor block down only the light version materials and whet the player welds it the next stage material could be added? This will work the best with armor unfortunately.

13. Wilkie Trainee Engineer

The right mouse button and/or right Ctrl does not have anything assigned to it for the welder. Those could be used for the upgrade feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. PsychoJohn1971 Trainee Engineer

Right-click currently adds parts to an incomplete block without welding on it, but has no effect on a complete block. Maybe adding a convert/upgrade function if block status is complete.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PilotMax Apprentice Engineer

True, but I still like the idea of build states. Another thing to consider: unbuilt blocks are not airtight so if you make a full light block into a half-built heavy armor block you will get rapid depressurization.

16. SenorZorros Master Engineer

HEY! I WAS IMPERSONATING FAKE EVIL GERMAN! FAKE EVIL DUTCH WOULD BE LIKE...

I have no idea. even if I try I would probably hit the plank miss and tie the horse behind the wagon. in de ending should the whole board in the water gefallen are.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Altair Trainee Engineer

This is great idea. But first we need new resources/ore like titanium (low density and high strength) for new upgraded armor block. Scandium, praseodymium (and other rare earth metal) for smaller, more efficient/durable reactor, refinery, thrusters etc.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.