Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Wanting to use an extra Dell Server I have to run my SE server. How much ram do I need?

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Colemanster, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Colemanster Trainee Engineer

I have an extra Dell server gathering dust and I was wanting to set it up to run my SE server. How much ram do I need? It's currently a dual 6-core Xeon running at ~3.0ghz build with about 32GB DDR3. I imagine this is fine, but I would like to hear where I might look to upgrade.

2. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

3. Thomas_Jefferson Apprentice Engineer

Do you know what model of Xeon it has? I'm running a X5690 (LGA1366) @ 3.47GHz with 12GB of RAM. I don't have many players, but it keeps up nearly flawlessly and only uses between 2GB and 4GB of RAM.

The problem with the "specs" that Keen recommends is that core frequency isn't everything, it's the power of each core that's most important with frequency being second most important.

4. Geneticus Senior Engineer

The problem with Keen specs is that they want hardware available in 70 years where SE is set.. Even then, there are almost no CPUs available that actually can run at those speeds unless you OC/watercool, or remove the die. They counted Turbo frequencies as if they were the base frequency and finding any that are in that range is extremely difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thomas_Jefferson Apprentice Engineer

LOL, yeah, that too! The point is that they're using the dated method of referencing CPU frequency. This isn't 2003 when there were only a handful of CPU's available with clock frequency being the qualifier as what was fastest. Take my Xeon X5690 for example. It's 3.47 GHz, supposedly less than the minimum for a server, but close enough. Now look at a i9-7900X @ 3.30GHz. An even lower clock frequency, but the processing power of just a single core is massive compared to the X5690 : (Note the Single Thread Rating) That i9 would run circles around my server, or most other low to mid end servers for that matter.

What keen should be doing is referencing specific CPUs for the minimum and recommended. That way you can compare single thread performance and get a good idea where you actually stand when making a decision on a server.

6. Geneticus Senior Engineer

You should OC a Pentium3 to 4Ghz and complain that a server won't run on it......

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. MTXRooster Trainee Engineer

This, just because it would be epic.

8. Andreizone Trainee Engineer

launched the server, 2 E5-2670 2.6GHz 64GB 4 channels 1600 MHz, 15 players can not load the server more than 10% after the month of the game the peaks were up to 25% and until the last week when it exceeded 230 000 PCU, the load in the manager is clearly It can be seen that the server uses 16 threads but very modestly uses them, rarely using one or two threads to 50%, as a result the internal counter of the program processor usage sometimes shows 50% -300%.
    Now, after the reset of the world, players play a simulation of 1.02 at a frequency of 1.7 GHz and again on 16 streams out of 32. Server Alandi world Tantis.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.