Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Water!

Discussion in 'General' started by yamlCase, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. yamlCase Trainee Engineer

Confirmed, at 4:00 in the latest planetary teaser, a lake of water!!!

2. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

Was it actually water though, or just slightly reflective ice?

3. Silvak Apprentice Engineer

You're right! Good catch, I was reading the text the first time through. This has got me hyped way more than anything else!

4. picklerok Junior Engineer

Hooray!

Why exactly are we "horray"ing? Realism? Submarines? Survival features? All of the above?

5. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

Could just be ice... *cough*

Sabaroids and water... Mmm, Keen is going for super hero status with the launch of planets apparently. My feeling is we're getting planets and a bunch of other stuff, and SE is going Beta right then.

• Like Like x 4
  6. TehGM Apprentice Engineer

I'd place my bet on netcode first. And any features they're thinking of, if any ofc. Then beta.

7. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

NetCode is hard to see in the teasers... I'd bet it's in there and going to drop with planets.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Asaku Trainee Engineer

This rises so many questions... how did they implement water? Is it volumetric? Is it voxel based? What will the mechanics be? And most importantly: NUKES CONFIRMED?

Wonder what other surprises Keen has in store for us.

9. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

I'm hoping they release rails first, then I wouldn't mind them going straight into beta as modders can then pretty much cover the rest.

If t is water that would be amazing!

10. Dreokor Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

It may or may not be water. They could just be using ice to simulate a lake.

12. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Water or ice... I will still build a log cabin there and will live my remaining days in piece - until those pesky Sabiroids arrive and I call for a planetary bombing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. CuNi Trainee Engineer

I swear.. I will travel across the galaxy to find this Naboo like paradise.. I know my journey will be hard..
    There will be hazardous deserts... deadly Ice planets.. Space Pirates.. Metroids.. X-Parasite's! Er no wait.. that derailed.. *caugh caugh* back to business.
    I will visit every one like in Stargate Universe.. My Ship, a deadly fortress for my safety!
    And once I find this masterpiece of planet.. I will land.. Deconstruct my ship.. Build myself a sweet nice mansion by the mountains with a view on a lake..
    Turn of HUD.. and just record a whole day night cycle to use as a background..

*On a side note*
    Someone should get the Voxel Tools ready and build a replica of SAO's Aincrad..

• Like Like x 6
  14. waterlimon Senior Engineer

When I posted in changelog thread saying its just a giant pool of ice, drui liked that post, so it could be just ice.

Also, based on what theyve said earlier, if it IS water, its likely just planar water (not volumetric). This might help solve some problems (performance/gameplay) if it means that players cant dig very deep, too.

15. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

If it is planer water I doubt many people will care. Hell if all the water does is change the view texture when you're under it most of use would still be really happy.

I think it probably is ice though. Water seems like a leap too far, even for this game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

I will care :(

17. waterlimon Senior Engineer

Yeah, going beyond just planar water needs A LOT of work before it actually makes a difference. Getting it to work smoothly with all the game features, and actually have a use, is not easy at all...

Even planar water is difficult, if you want to add proper boyancy and stuff (and not get some horrible KSP water)

18. yamlCase Trainee Engineer

Two points:
    1. The lake is in a raised "bowl" which suggests this will be more than planar. Will there also be waterfalls?
    2. The trees around the lake are not covered in snow, and they do show other scenes with snow covered trees. I think this is to show above freezing.

I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised when planets are finally released.

19. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

It looks damn beautiful tho.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

Waterfalls with volumetric water would mean evaporation and rain in order to keep them flowing (unless the water falls are faked). Or I guess player made water falls with volumetric water would be possible if we get pumps and our tubes can pump water...

With planar water, they'd almost have to be faked, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Einharjar Junior Engineer

I'm pretty sure the water is just planar water. But that doesn't mean it's not dynamic.

I think the most basic Dynamic Water I remember is probably from the RTS, CNC:Gen, which was also being resource conservative so, they had to figure out a way to add water. And they did so very well, even to the point of making it flush in valleys simply based on terrain height scripts.
    I'm certain Keen can use planar water, and yet still have it dynamic enough to not just be static - I.E. after a certain depth that we dig, the "water layer" is hit. I doubt that's the case at all.
    I feel it's possible to make the water dynamic enough, yet not be volumetric and thus a resource hog.

22. chrisb Senior Engineer

Water or ice, doesn't matter for me, the planets look fantastic, which is all I wanted to hope for, which by looking at the vids are way beyond what I was expecting. Great going Keen, planets to live and breathe on, plus be scared to hell, well there are always drawbacks, aren't there. ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  23. PilotMax Apprentice Engineer

Wow. I suggested liquid concrete and was told it's impossible. Does it mean it could become a thing?

24. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

We have no indication that what we're seeing is "liquid". The planet source code we had a while back used ice to simulate water. Even if they do add actual water, it (probably, IMO) might not be "dynamic", and just a height-based layer (maybe with some prettifying, but ultimately not an actual voxel-substance).

I feel like the people hoping for voxel-water of any sort are way too ambitious. I'd love for it to just be a heightmapped kind of thing, and if you go below water you get some overlays and some slightly different physics and your thrusters stop working.

(People assuming that water will be ice forever are too pessimistic, though)

• Like Like x 1
  25. CuNi Trainee Engineer

But my issue with planar water is.. What happens if you mine away the edge that holds the water away?will the water stay like a wall in mid air or what? I am just worried that building a base under a lake to dampen incoming attacks either won't work or look very strange because of the way water behaves. But then.. Water planets come to my mind and I imagine my hovering industrial city's ducking in the water to create fuel to keep floating above..

26. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Its getting weird now as I place Space Engineers and all I can think of is recreating a working hydro electric dam to power my stations for landing ships.....it would be glorious!

I wanted a picture of Worf saying how glorious it would be.....I couldnt get passed this one :woot:
    [​IMG]

27. ltdan83 Apprentice Engineer

It would be great if it was volumetric but I think the devs were pretty set against that just because of how hard it would be to implement. Perhaps they changed their minds but I doubt it.

28. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

There have been advances in fluid physics. Nvidia has some pretty awesome PhysX videos:

That said, I don't think this stuff can scale to what SE would need, yet. Not on current hardware, but when Volta architecture comes out, this might be a possibility... But holy crap would that be fun... water that reacts to gravity generators?! Yes please.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

That looks too good to have been made real time.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Malware Master Engineer

I dunno. For such a small volume? With a good enough PC and graphics card, I think it might be possible.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.