Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ways to make a planet/gravity compatible mining drone?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by redxlaser15, Mar 9, 2019.

1. redxlaser15 Trainee Engineer

I'm a rookie, and really don't know much of how to play at all in general. I've made a successfully flying ship on a planet, but it always seems to spontaneously explode almost instantly when I start mining.
    What are some good ways to do this?

2. vadersson Trainee Engineer

Explodes? That would be unusual. I would be aware that as you mine material it makes your ship heavier quickly. If you don't have extra thrusters you can quickly crash.

3. Malware Master Engineer

For a rookie I would recommend creating a vertically oriented ship with plenty of lifting power - designed to drill directly down. That way there's less chance of getting disoriented and if your ship gets too heavy, it'll more likely just rest on the ground than fall and break.

4. Calaban Junior Engineer

Without a (greatly entertaining) vidcap of aforementioned disaster, We have very little information/details to work with in regards to explaining what is going wrong there.

My guess is that the flying ship has enough thrust to hover while empty, but the moment a few metric tons of ore get gobbled up, it will then commence to fly- very much in the way that a brick doesn't.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. redxlaser15 Trainee Engineer

-Well, I'm kinda exaggerating on the explosion thing. It does explode, but it's not like the whole thing goes.
    -Ah, figures that weight would increase! That's at least part of the problem. Gonna need more thrusters then.
    -I purposefully tried making a ship with the purpose of drilling straight down. It seemed like a much better idea than trying to move around a lot. It still exploded though.
    -I'd show you a video of it, except: 1) I can't figure out how to make the video clear enough to actually be useful. I've tried several different ones, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. 2) It is very exploded and it was a while ago that it happened, so I have no clue if I have a version of it that is complete enough in a save and which save it would be.

Here are some more detailed notes of the ship I had:
    -4 reactors are in one the sides of the ship, each with a small amount of protection. I wanted to be able to access them easily and still have them protected.
    -I had enough drills to cover the entire front and then some, to ensure that the main body of my ship was much less likely to bump into the ground on the sides while mining. The ship was a bit chubby, but the drills presumably covered enough.
    -I had multiple cameras everywhere so that I could see what was going on. I noticed that when the camera cut out from being destroyed, that I couldn't connect to the ship at all anymore.
    -I had a little piping system that took the materials grabbed from the drills straight to a container in the back, so that it was easily accessible.
    -Seeing as weight increases when filling up with materials, I probably didn't have enough thrusters. It had enough thrusters to be completely stable, but it was kinda struggling. In retrospect, that fact was pretty obvious. I had even noticed that kind of thing before when I was testing out a flying rover (which was on a previous save) and it had more stuff in it.
    -Looking back on the event, could extra little chunks have hit my ship and damaged it? If so, what would be a good way to deal with that? Most of it was evidently caught by the drills, but not all of it.

Regarding the reactors, I assume there would be a way to pipe uranium into the reactors, but I'm not especially familiar with those. I only known the utmost basic stuff.
    Presumably, I could set it up somehow so that uranium put in the container and/or grabbed from mining would be put directly in there. A problem I see with that, though, is that I don't know how I'd get any back out without drilling back into the reactor.

6. vadersson Trainee Engineer

Ok, interesting info. Sounds a lot like a weight issue and all those drills would increase the weight fast leading to a sudden failure is my guess (boom!) More thrusters is always a good idea.
    Rock bits should not cause much damage to your ship. The drills should pretty well protect you, especially in a gravity situation. The drill shake however could cause you to bang around some in the tunnel/shaft you are drilling.
    Uranium has to be refined before you can use it. That requires a full size refinery. So if you are drilling Ur, you are not going to be able to use it (unless the drill ship is huge.) Also Ur is no longer available on planets, so you would be finding much is a gravity situation either.

Good luck with your drone!

7. Calaban Junior Engineer

-is it a large grid? or small grid?
    -Because 4 small grid small reactors can manage to supply full power to um.... 2 small atmo thrusters.
    - large grid small reactors perform better.

so it may be a power issue too- enough thrust to hover and enough power, but as the thrust output of the thrusters get ramped up to try to fly, the power gauge may literally redline to ship crashing explosion failure to fly levels.

these are the "engineering" parts of the game- where we have an idea for a machine, and build a prototype. Then we have to work out its problems. Enough lift? enough power? too many drills? too little practical cargo? And so on and so on. This is engineering the engine, so to speak.

Its one of my favorite parts of the game- to take an existing Thing(tm), and find it kind of .. meh.. but then seeing a way to tinker with it to make it even better.. and better.. and more amazing, and eventually, something I cant ever imagine being without!

Engineering the Tinkering, thats me. (Give me an unknown signal of a probe with antenna.. it quickly becomes a mini remote control rover driving an ore detector around, for example)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. redxlaser15 Trainee Engineer

When did uranium not become available on planets? I haven't played for a while and what I have been it's been on the same save for quite some time and still had that.
    I know that uranium needs to be refined, I just kinda, forgot, when writing this. Which is really stupid of me since I've refined uranium plenty of times.
    It's a small grid, I don't have nearly enough materials to make a large one.
    What's a good solution to my power problem other than installing a bunch of batteries and solar panels then removing said solar panels so it fits when mining. That said, I could probably put the solar panels at an angle so the flat of it is against the ship, I'm still uncertain about that.

Next time I think I'll try and make my ship a little less fat (at the time it was easier to make it that way) so there will be at least less banging, and possibly see if I can widen the drill range a bit more. I'll definitely need to give it WAAAYYY more power and more thrusters.
    Of course, to at least some extent, I'm going to have to just figure things out on myself.

9. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Yeah, KSH took uranium off planets, but you can still get it in space on asteroids. Until you get to space, however, you're sort of stuck with solar panels, wind turbines, or hydrogen engines (with or without batteries for storage) for power.

10. BobbySix Trainee Engineer

Just deal with it.

During beta, with uranium & fat respawn ship, it took few hours to reach space.

Now it's become harder and it's the good way, if you want comfort, just switch on creative.

The only problem was that space living was already too easy comparate to earth living, this problem is amplified.
    Space has to become scary.

11. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

All it takes is a grinder and guts, and there's nothing you can't overcome. Free parts abound now in space. Claim what is rightfully yours and rule the universe! Mu-ha-ha-ha!!

12. Calaban Junior Engineer

The power solution for big, fat ships is.. to be brutally honest- the designers problem :)

Given the thrust to more substantial weight ratios, and the more limited power density kilowatt hours available- with attendant weight to factor onto those aforementioned thrust ratios... a great deal of "traditional" atmospheric miner designs of old have to be thrown out the window and forgotten about forever. Those were "Early access" designs.

TL;DR? things are heavy, power is scarce.

What this means (besides the workshops' useless clutter) is that there is a "sweet spot" in power/thrust/weight to be found. going bigger than this sweet spot is going to cause headaches. You will find, at those out of bounds regions, that things are too heavy, thrusters are too weak and too power hungry, and batteries dont last long enough.

So, where does that sweet spot seem to be? If we are talking an atmospheric flying miner, in my exp that is about tank sized. If the small ship is bigger than a large grid H2 tank, its too big and/or is trying to do too much.

My current Atmo miner design has 3 medium cargo, 2 drills (so doesnt carry overmuch per trip- just 5 medium cargo worth (each drill = 1 med cargo btw)), 4 up atmo, 2 fwd, 2 back, 1L, 1R (all large), 4 gyros, and 5 batteries. maybe some bump-armor here and there.

Those batteries need a serious recharge station, either multiple wind turbines or h2 generators equaling 20MW recharge power for 10 minute recharge. *shuffles through photos...

[​IMG]
    Heres a good shot of my miner, and my recharge station, described above (the joke for this pic was "if only there was enough ice to run all of these")

Many engineers will struggle with this formula. This is just the one I came up with.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Isn't that just the CUTEST little miner I've ever seen! I just want to cuddle it!!

I'm finding that my Blue Crab Miner is a much better alternative for fetching ore than trying to build a flying version for the very reasons stated. It's versatile and carries a significant quantity of ore in its two large cargo containers and six drills.

[​IMG]

14. Calaban Junior Engineer

so... does it require a cliff face? or does it do a gyro induce Faceplant? and does RMB simply bore it into a pit that it can never drive out of?

This is why I avoid vehicle miners. that little complication makes such a device a little.. too complicated.

15. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

I've always hated land-based miners, too. So I attempted to build one that actually works. The miner comes with advanced rotors for tilting the drill assemblies. You right-click to start the tunnel-boring process, then as you start forward and the machine tilts downward, tilt the drills upward a couple degrees to control the angle of the descending slope. When you've finally reached your destination subterranean elevation, simply tilt the rotors up a few degrees and mine away. It'll mine true and level once you get the angle tweaked correctly. There are some small atmospheric thrusters that help control the vehicle's descent and ascent, and it's small size makes turning around underground pretty easy to accomplish. Now the downside: building the blueprint in survival will leave off the drill arms because projectors don't project sub-grids (YET!). Yeah, I know...that sucks.

16. BobbySix Trainee Engineer

Try to make a small grid wheeler driller too, and it's not yet satisfaying.

Personnaly the compact way is abandonned.

17. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

I tried to reproduce my Blue Crab miner in large-grid scale...I really did. Bigger is better, right? Besides, large-grid drills are much, much more robust and therefore less likely to explode than their small-grid drill cousins (my experience, anyway).

Yeah...no. I could not get the large-grid version to ever work. The area of effectiveness around small-grid and large-grid drills is the same. One row of drills for my small-grid miner will allow the entire vehicle to pass through easily when tunneling. It take FIVE rows of drills to do the same thing with the exact same design for the large-grid miner, and the front becomes so heavy due to the weight of the drills alone that it simply face-plants. I had to add so much artificial mass to the ass-end that it became unfeasible to consider the design for any practical use, so I abandoned it. Nope, small-grid is the only way to go for land-based vehicle mining.

18. BobbySix Trainee Engineer

Large grid miner is vertical piston miner most of the time.
    Easier to design, more safe to drive, but costly to build and too brutal and unrealistic.

No I just wanted to say that I add even more wheels/grips/power/native weight to my small grid wheeler miner.
    But no thruster.

The goal stay to get a quite efficient wheel miner accessible early in a survival session.
    --- Automerge ---
    And even if the game permit it, flying planetary driller is an heresy.

19. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

The thrusters help a lot, especially when you're tunneling down and then have to get out with a load. That extra boost makes all the difference, and the weight and component cost is pretty miner.

I designed a large, vertical miner awhile back, and if you could keep the silly thing vertical it could haul a lot of ore. But it was very unstable and, if you didn't keep adjusting for tilt, it was a goner.

20. Roxette Senior Engineer

That's a job that could easily be done with a programmable block :)

21. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Easy!?! Ha!!! I laugh in your general direction.

22. BobbySix Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1