Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Weapons that boarding craft would use.

Discussion in 'General' started by Sims_doc, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

In this seem we intend to think of types of weapons that boarding craft would use such as hammers, magnets, cutting devices and other sorts of things to enter vessels or otherwise tow them away.

2. GeneralApathy Apprentice Engineer

When you're asking about potential weapons, there are two questions you need to ask yourself.

1. What am I doing with this weapon?

2. What do I want this weapon to do?

In regards to question one, we're clearly boarding a vessel. We need to get inside whatever ship we happen to come across, but we don't want to completely destroy it. We need this weapon to work at a close range without hurting our boarders and we need this weapon to work quickly, as to be able to quickly board said ship before the ship's inhabitants know what we're up to.

Question two is a bit different. What do we want to do with this ship that we're boarding? (a) Are we going to go inside, take what we can of the ship's internals and walk out? (b) Are we trying to sabotage the ship? (c) Are we simply trying to destroy as much as we can and disable it?

(a) Using a drilling rig to clear out a gap in the ship's exterior would be very effective.

(b) Using a gravity-manipulator would be very effective.

(c) Using a close range GA-KEP DU rig would be very effective.

3. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

Mmmm GA-KEP DU rig seems a bit overkill, like using a nuclear powered can opener, and I doubt/hope that nobody else knows what you're talking about.

4. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

I was thinking the samething a while back, i even begun modeling part of it just couldn't figure out the drill section so i stopped but i think I've got it now.

5. WarWyvern Trainee Engineer

The best method for infiltrating a massive ship that I can think of right now is using a small ship with a hollow interior to dock with the target ship's outer hull, ensuring that the open side of the ship is facing the portion of hull that you want to burn through. Then just either drill (using the hand drill) or grind your way through, hijack one of the medical rooms to reset your respawn point aboard the ship, and gun down the pilot.

I'm not sure what additional weapons or tools that we would need, since everything I described is either available now or a planned feature. My apologies if I misunderstood the purpose of this topic.

Bless you.

But all we have is nuclear power right now. What am I supposed to use to open all these cans, the manual can opener? Like a space-caveman?

Just for a bit of fun: Gravity-Accelerated Kenetic Energy Projectile- erm, Dutch variant? Drilling Unit, perhaps? Destructive Ultimatum! Well, I like that last one, anyway.

6. Skeloton Master Engineer

Weapons that boarding craft would use? their hull?

7. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

if you've seen this star trek movie, you'll automatically understand the size of what i would assume the boarding craft to be about the same size as the defiant and of course being that size you're ram wouldn't really be effective.

8. jlf1976 Apprentice Engineer

I wonder if the torch will be for welding only, or if it will have the capability to cut. If it can cut, I would think that would be the most appropriate tool for forced entry. Otherwise, yeah small ship attach to the large one, floor opens up and start drilling with the hand drill.

9. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

Now that you mention it, i was thinking of something a while back that would stretch out from the boarding craft cut its way into the hull and act as a sort of pressurized tube for forced entry.

10. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

I think we have 4 tools at our disposal:
    1. hand drill to disassemble 'roids (and ships for now)
    2. welder to assemble blocks (doesn't work yet)
    3. grinder to disassemble blocks (doesn't work yet)
    4. rifle to disassemble other players (and small ships)
    I think grinder is what you are asking about.
    Hand drill is a very rough tool, since it'll damage 9 blocks (the one you're drilling and all adjacent ones). Grinder will probably be like the welder but with a reversed effect: "unbuilding" a single block.

EDIT: fixed #4. Didn't know rifles were working already.

11. deedlede Trainee Engineer

FTFY

12. Rustyblades Trainee Engineer

Why not use the small ship drill, or better yet, launch a kinetic torpedo into the hull, which currently leaves a nice huge hole one can just simply land a smaller ship in?

13. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

Yeah, they'll never notice a kt hitting their ship lolz

14. Andarne Apprentice Engineer

Should be able to.

Welding torches can easily cut the welds that they've just done. When I was being apprenticed in metalworking, welding and fabrication, we'd have great fun undoing our classmates' welds with the torches. Keep in mind that these were oxy acetylene torches, not MIG or arc welders, which we had difficulty with melting the welds.

15. Rustyblades Trainee Engineer

Well, I sorted out a small large based ramming ship last night that takes advantage of the more devastating effects of ramming, and leaves enough ship to vacate as needed. What seemed to work the best is a 4 prong bow. Each prong is 8 blocks long and are pretty much expended during the initial ram. The hole the prongs cause is big enough to fly the rest of the ship into. The boarding party has a hole in the front of the ship to egress.

I might put it out on steam later for evaluation. The map should be titltled Space Derby.

16. Andarne Apprentice Engineer

I'm working on my own boarding vessel, codenamed 'Leech', though I'm gonna change the design of it to be more effective.

I plan for it to be a under-the-radar stealth-boarder; the carrier will take up a defensive position behind an asteroid, or other radar-jamming device. The leech will then exit the hangar, fly towards the target, and calmly latch onto the vessel. After a 'not detected' time has elapsed, the craft will lower its drilling prongs, and create several holes to maximise boarding capacity. After the crew has boarded, a decoy ship will be launched away from the ship and (hopefully) be destroyed by the target. Giving the impression that attempted attackers were destroyed in the process. The boarding party will then disable key systems, and kill the crew, capturing the ship with minimal loss of life, and damage, to the target.

17. Skeloton Master Engineer

I was thinking of a ship with a drill and with some landing gear to stabilize and calling it a leech lol.

Currently I got these, two right ones are the boarding pods or HPPs (Hull Penetrating Pods).
    [​IMG]

18. Rustyblades Trainee Engineer

Tonight I played with assorted triangular armor and ramming ships, I skipped the flat tipped ramming ship and opted for sort of a 3/4 stud tip on 4 points. I tried studded armor - it was eaten withiout much fuss. The I tried some one way wedge armor - same deal. I moved on to wavy armor and that seemed to work. I say seemed because by then I had moved to 4 block thick armored targets. The 4 block thick armor with a wavy pattern stopped the 150k ramming ship with 2 blocks thickness left but still with the other 3layers suffering roughly an 8x8 area of damage.

Just to see whether it was the wavy armor pattern or the thickness I shave the next target to 2 blocks with a wavy armor pattern. Even though the resulting ram left a through 8x8 hole, the rammer itself was damaged about the same as the 4 plus wavy pattern armor. The wavy armor may not stop a ship on its own but it does seem to make the ramming ship pay.

Other things I found are that bottom swinging doors (motor on bottom corner, door swings up or down, like a draw bridge) have a tendency to swing open when decelerating. I had a front hangar bay with a swing up door approximately 10x12 blocks swing down Everytime I decelerated. Perhaps such an unintentional feature could be used in a boarding ship design? Of note, the motor was left in the close on position during the deceleration.

Unless the ship is designed for a cutting vs ramming approach to boarding a ship, small ships seem to completely disintegrate when used to ram large ships.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.