Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Welder range/penetration

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by StarfieldINC, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. StarfieldINC Trainee Engineer

Hey fellow engineers !

As probably a large part of you have done by now, i have made a sort of production line with the new shipwelders. Make a conveyor of rotors and some wheels, stick a couple of welders on the sides and top/bottom and you have yourself a nice self building shipmaker.

BUT ! If only it was that easy. The welders seem to only penetrate to 2 layers of armour(small) and 1 layer of armour(large). And besides that, the second layer of armour takes a long time to weld. Also you can forget about the insides of the ship, because it doesn't even touch those. This makes it kind of obsolete compared to the handwelder.

So my suggestion is: Make the shipwelders have a adjustable range (more range=more power consumption) and make it able to penetrate anything within that range. So you can also weld the insides of a small ship.

Looking at the future, this would be awesome if you have blueprints to make the scaffolding with.

2. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I'm sorry but the quantum tunnelling effect is inapplicable for macro scale objects.

you shouldn't be able to weld through blocks. instead you should design your ship so that you can access everything or build your ships layer by layer (this would obviously become simpler when we have blueprints and programming)

3. StarfieldINC Trainee Engineer

Considering it welds 2 layers it appearently does exist... but since programmable robots are still a long way to go it thought it would be a compromise for now.

4. SenorZorros Master Engineer

well... if you ask me they should get rid of what I presume is an error. even if we don't have programmable robots you can still build your ships layer by layer. (with the interior mostly designed beforehand)

5. Conradian Moderator

Ship welders are good enough as they are. They're not meant for fiddly interior and thick layer welding, they're for faster welding.
    The way to make them more efficient is to be more efficient yourself. Plan out your building so that they work well (I have a system called poly-stage construction).

6. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

That's over-selling your position. Clearly the ship welder is faster than a hand welder and far less tedious to use. Currently, the trade offs for this speed and ease are that it is more expensive, must be mounted to a ship, and cannot fit into tight spaces. You're basically asking to nullify the last one, in exchange for increased power consumption.

I don't think they should turn the ship-based welder into the solution to all building problems, although I would love for better programming or some other tool that makes it easier to build larger or more complicated ships without having to hop out and manually place blocks layer by layer. It'd be nice to, with enough clever engineering, design a system that can be set to run automatically for the duration of welding, but that is clearly impossible for larger or more complicated ships right now. There are a lot of possibilities: Fully automated systems that require building an enormous cage; welder drones (blegh); the ability to weld ships together so you can auto weld each module, then link them up afterward; or another ship-based tool that automatically places frames according to a predesignated blueprint (and can be programmed to wait for welding to finish before placing a new frame). All of these--and other options I haven't thought of--would be more fun, challenging, and realistic than just making the ship-welder a one stop shop.

7. Neouni Apprentice Engineer

They already said ship printers where coming, so I doubt they will add an in between version like that.

8. nobodx Senior Engineer

I already suggested something similar (kind of) here http://forums.keenswh.com/post/change-to-largestation-welders-6921663

9. Vortexthewise Apprentice Engineer

Welders are already unrealistic. Being able to place and weld plates on the back and sides of a block without moving... I know that this is for playability, and I really don't want this part to be realistic, but being able to weld through huge amounts of armor would, in my opinion, be really unrealistic.

A more realistic idea would be 3d printers, which where already pointed out and have been planned.

I understand your reasoning, but from a realism standpoint, this one would be a step back. Simplicity is always wanted, but oversimplification tends to make games boring.

edit:

Instead of weld penetration being increased, perhaps weld speed would be the variable value? More power = faster weld speed?

10. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

There will be a 3-d printers for that ship welders are rather ment for repairs after combat or denting your ship with another ship or asteroid. So you actually need to repair mostly outter armor layers.

11. Vivicector Apprentice Engineer

You need to wield ships layer by layer, like a 3D printer. But you will have to think of a very good blueprint before that.

And yea, 3D printers will solve those problems.

12. HitryiPryanik Apprentice Engineer

Agree with this. The game is about engineering, not about magic or about «press X to build all ship».

13. StarfieldINC Trainee Engineer

I totally agree with the keeping it difficult part. On the other hand, we probably won't get welding robots/drones anytime soon. And making them with the current rotor fail fest is a nog go as well. And btw, engineering a production line itself is also engineering, looking at how car factories operate in similar ways, it wouldn't be so unrealistic.

14. entspeak Senior Engineer

I've learned to build the insides first and then the outside. There's no need to have deep penetration of welders. Just need good planning.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.