Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What DLC would you be happy to pay for?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Keen. Tandem cockpit. Make it so.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I really have only one rub with the Space Engineers and the new DLC: KSH, if you create an asymmetric block, then also provide a second block that mirrors the original. Examples of asymmetric blocks are the medical room, steel catwalk corner, armory, armory lockers, bathroom, bed, corner couch, kitchen, and shower. And, for crying out loud, include for both the catwalk designs a catwalk with a railing on three sides!! As the Australians say, "Crikey!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The skinny stairs aligns to the right. Having a version that aligns left would be nice too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rulin Apprentice Engineer

I would love to pick single elements of all the dlcs and put them in a personal package for me to buy. There are many things I don't like and need, and it keeps me from buying most of the dlcs.

5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

The only thing I wanted from the DLC was the medical scanner. Just about everything else I already have as mods. I wouldn't have paid four bucks for just the one block, though. I'm glad I got the rest of the stuff. After all, I can never say definitively that I will never use the rest ;)

6. Roxette Senior Engineer

And this is why a lot of the argument about DLC blocks is silly. People are individuals and their interests and priorities are as variable as the wind. I paid a modeller and artist almost fifty bucks for two decorative blocks several years ago (they are not and never will be public). The real problems are with blocks like the new cockpit that are functional and have no direct stock replacement (because of the position of conveyor/access ports) - that is quite annoying to those who like to share their creations on a server or publicly on the workshop. The mix-and match idea as an alternative to Keen-defined-bundles is a non-starter because of the way Steam works, it would become unprofitable and awkward. A large part of the problem is caused by Keen having constantly moved the goalposts because they failed to use a flexible definition system in the first place, requiring frequent and regular changes to the core that constantly require modders to update their work.

Meanwhile, there are still so many unresolved major bugs in the game, and new ones are still getting added with each batch of DLC ... that is the most annoying part of all this.

7. Malware Master Engineer

I think these kinds of statements are funny. The DLCs dont' add bugs, they're just graphics blocks. And... I'd prefer the artists stay far away from the game code and don't try to fix bugs myself... :p Would be like insisting that I fix a car. Wouldn't go well :D

8. Roxette Senior Engineer

The last update included changes to the core game block definition files as well as the new blocks, and those changes contained a swathe of stupid simple errors that broke many things. The fact that they have too many under-employed modellers and artists and too few competent programmers is a fundamental management failure.

9. Malware Master Engineer

@Roxette yes, but that has nothing to do with the DLCs and everything to do with optimization and the XBox release.

And they've been trying to hire programmers for years. Finding programmers isn't as easy as you seem to think. Especially for game development... and getting already experienced and "competent" ones makes it even harder ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I don't agree. I definitely want new conveyor places for the cockpits as well as new designs.
    If you want to share DLC equipped blueprints on workshop, then surely it goes without saying the blueprint must have DLC. Sharing creations on the server, anyone can use what you created so I don't see the problem.

11. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I agree with this. I'm stunned that those conveyor ports don't line up with the standard cockpit. I don't blame the artists. Their priority is appearance. There should have been a conversation with or a directive from the non-artists, especially for a part that must be replaced with a standard block if the DLC block is not available. I used a similar mod for years that did not have that problem.

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Talking about conveyors, is it too much to ask for diagonal 1x1 and 1x2 conveyors? Dudes and dudettes, the current conveyors are so square!

(OK. I've said it. I feel better now.)

13. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

But... it's HIP to be square now, isn't it? I heard that in a song somewhere.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I don't think it's possible to get a diagonal block. How would it connect to the grid? Connections can only happen on one of six sides. A diagonal block would have to spill into adjacent blocks and nullify an advantages a diagonal connect would make. I'd prefer armored conveyors so that conveyors could be built into armor. Also including a "T" junction would help too.

15. Malware Master Engineer

@Ronin1973 I think @Spaceman Spiff is simply talking about a diagonally shaped block, like some conveyor mods have already made. Not actual diagonals.

I think. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I’ll sketch up and post my concepts (if I don’t forget).

17. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Expanding on the current decorative blocks: Versions of those blocks with a space engineer sat/laid/using. They can disable interaction with the blocks if they like to prevent collisions etc.

Expand the selection of hydroponic decorative blocks.

More variations of lights, hanging lights, "street lamp" lights etc.

Sloped, curved and hanging lcds.

While I love the mods that do some of those eventually a patch breaks textures etc, if they were in the base game that would be far better.

18. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

You can find one in this mod. There are many others. Never seen a 2x1 though. That would actually be cool.

19. Rulin Apprentice Engineer

I would pay for a dlc that gives me all the armor skins.

20. SatanicKill Trainee Engineer

• Inappropriate Language
    Was reinstalling Space Engineers after a year and a half or so.. Was looking forward to seeing the new optimizations I'd heard had been implemented. I build big stuff so lag has always been a problem..
    To my dismay, it looks like game-breaking DLC has been added - ungrindable blocks if I don't buy?! I supported the game... by buying the game! Fuck your DLC and fuck you Keen!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

Game breaking?

22. SatanicKill Trainee Engineer

Yep. Imagine buying a new car, then you go to drive it and it now has a gaping hole in the dash with wires hanging out. I get it, it's a marketing ploy to remind you that a "new feature" isn't installed.. but I wouldn't want to drive around in the car like that.. The game is no longer a complete experience. Ungrindable blocks are immersion breaking.
    That's fine that your opinion and criteria of game-breaking differs. You're entitled to it.

23. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I guess you haven't bought a new car.

EVERY new car, unless you specifically ask for it to be loaded to the hilt (which you will PAY extra for), is missing a feature that someone else may or may not have.
    If they do have the feature in their car that you do not have, they paid for it.
    Your comparison is a bit off.

You are wanting all the bells and whistles for free.
    Like it or not, the world just does not work that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Well honestly it sounds like a bug. Put it on their support forums.

25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Ummm... yeah... car options... definitely the grandfather of all DLC. For the longest time air conditioning was automotive DLC and so was an automatic transmission. I wanted a new truck and bought the upgraded radio DLC with it when I was 20. The antenna was way under 15 meters though :)

26. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Except that when you buy a new car, if you don't order the AC they don't put an A/C button on your steering wheel that doesn't work.

27. Roxette Senior Engineer

FTFY

• Funny Funny x 2
  28. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Very first new car I bought I did not order A/C but I still had a button for it. Lol. (Yes I am old)

Funny thing when I traded that car in for another new car the dealer that took it as a trade gave me extra trade in $ because they thought it did have A/C! :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  29. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

So, you will not pay for game-breaking DLC then.

Good news. You don't have to.

You loaded the game after a year and a half and all you discovered is that there's DLC now? What about the lag issues? Your game running better now? I build big too and I'm quite impressed by how well the game performs compared to what it was like just a year ago. There have been a number of new blocks and features that are not DLC. What about that stuff? You do realize that none of the DLC is essential. If you don't have it you can still play. It's really all just decoration.

If you buy a new car with a gaping hole in the dashboard, maybe you shouldn't be trusted with money.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Because car dealerships selling cars with holes in the dashboard are O-tay :tu:

More like you bought a car with a loud engine knock that the dealer agreed to fix as part of the deal but every time you make an appointment to get it fixed (this time true story) the mechanic keeps forgetting to put all the parts back in and you get the car back with every button and knob covered in stickers offering upgrades. :D

Took a look at the steam forum yesterday and 11 of the top 15 posts had 'bug' in the title. Just sayin.

IMO game performance is just as bad as it was 1.5 years ago as you're asking. Wheels still pop for no reason, desync and lag have not improved at all, the workshop is apparently a mess. Actually it's worse now that I think about it. It didn't used to crash during loading for me before. Now it does about every third time it loads up. On the bright side we do have this new economy system thing that has missions that give either 30k credits or 8million so there's that I guess.

Maybe you can make a station with 300 refineries now instead of 200, but it's connectors still rubber lock docked ships. :woot:

Apparently they radically changed the controller options. How? no idea. Still can't bind Shift+key to anything though.
    Oh well, maybe their 7th anniversary will be interesting.:(

• Funny Funny x 1