Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What DLC would you be happy to pay for?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Apr 20, 2019.

1. SatanicKill Trainee Engineer

Not going to toy with the quote button.. You'll figure it out.

mojomann71: Yes, I've purchased cars. I own several cars and a house in fact. Just bought a car for my 16 year old son, although his isn't new; he's probably going to wreck it anyway. I buy mine loaded for the most part. Like I said, imagine you buy a loaded new car with all available bells and whistles, get it one morning and find the manufacturer has snuck in and added a gaping hole with wires hanging out and a flyer for a "new feature" they want you to buy. It's shitty. Horse armor, but with constant in-game reminders. Very disrespectful to the player base. Why not just add a "donate" button in-game if they're hard up for cash?

Ronin1973 : You seem confused. Here, let me help you..
    analogy:
    1a : a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect
    b : resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike
    Keen sold you a manual. Keen then snuck into your garage and adjusted your clutch outta whack to try and sell you their shiny new automatic. I admire your devotion to KSH; it takes real zeal to defend the indefensible. I don't hold the sarcasm against you, it's all you've got!

Stardriver907: Nope, but probably not for the reason you're thinking. I've always liked Keen Software house. If they'd done the DLC in a tasteful way (without the in-game nags and missing features like a crummy iPhone app) I'd have bought it just to support them despite having no interest in all the decorative stuff. It's chump change. Instead, we have inaccessible cockpits for non-DLC purchasers? Non-interactable blocks? Advantages to be leveraged against all who don't buy in PVP.. Keen extorted the multiplayer community with their DLC. I hosted a dedicated server on a professional-grade xeon box from my hall closet for years in the early days of Space Engineers. Performed many world clean-ups by hand, took good care of my player base with backups and good up-time and balanced mods. I respected the players that I hosted, despite never earning a penny for my efforts. Keen couldn't show us the same respect, even after we paid? Ouch...

I'll admit, I played about an hour to see what else changed. The new "research" system is irritating as hell and there's no obvious way that I spotted to turn it off in the world options screen - don't like; it seems more like a forced tutorial than anything useful. The performance was noticeably better so far, although I didn't build anything huge to really test it. The AUTO-DAMPENER mode is GREAT! Very nice new feature! Haven't checked out a planet yet either; they were implemented right after I stopped playing and wanted the game to be optimized a bit before trying them. I guess it's been closer to 3 years since I played according to the version history.. Left when physics broke in an update. Came back just in time to see the cash-grab death throes apparently. Such a shame.

Ahh well, gonna go clear a few gigs of trash off the ol DC P3500 PCIe. Later plebs.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Boy, I'll tell you what. If any of that stuff had happened to me, I'd be pissed, too. But it didn't. I have no complaints about Keen's DLC, it's implementation, or their handling of it. I bought the first one and the last one. Didn't buy the second one. I have no regrets. I played my first 8000 hours on a PC that didn't meet minimum requirements and, well, 8000 hours. Can't play a game that much and claim to hate it. I've been playing the last 1,000 hours on a PC that slightly exceeds recommended requirements and it's running just fine and that's saying a lot when everything you make pushes the limits. In addition to all the hours I have played, I have watched probably the same amount on Twitch. I don't read anything in chat about DLC. I don't hear the streamer complaining about DLC. I do see a lot of people using DLC. Almost everything streamed these days is on a public or semi private server. I can't watch every stream, but if the things you complained about were rampant you would expect I would encounter it in a random search, however I don't see or hear anything about inaccessible cockpits or non-interactable blocks or DLC advantage. I also don't believe there is a tasteful way to do DLC. I don't like paying taxes, but it's the only way to get good government.

The reason most people are aware of the phrase "caveat emptor" is because of car dealers. Once you've driven it off the lot, the negotiations are over.

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You're laughable. You make a ton of assumptions about people you know nothing about. You're not the first troll and you won't be the last. There have been much better trolls around these parts and you'll have to up your game to even have comments worth addressing based on merit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

:munch:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Concave Apprentice Engineer

1. I noticed the new cockpits have LCD's built into them. There could be different configurations of LCD placements to reflect the Class of craft you are in. Combat requires different data than pulsing engines around a new asteroid and sampling for ore composition and evaluating known inventory and monitoring your automated security combat craft while you prospect for industry.

6. Malware Master Engineer

@Concave That's what ingame scripts (programmable block scripts) are for...

7. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I get that you are unhappy about something, but keep in mind that the vast majority of us are perfectly happy with this. I'm happy to buy the DLC packs for a very simple and logical reason: I paid about $20 for this game, I've played over 1500 hours, that's less that 2 CENTS per HOUR. Am I gonna keep buying the DLC packs? Yup. Keen has earned it from me. Now it's up to everyone else to decide if they feel the same.

I mean c'mon man, I can't even buy a cheese burger for 5 bucks, how can I complain about this?:)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Check out MMaster's Automatic LCDs 2 from the Workshop. It's great for custom cockpit information. The only issue is the latest incarnation seems to update LCDs a lot slower than older versions.

9. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

I think he slowed it down a bit for performance reasons...

10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

There are scripts on the workshop that work with cockpit LCDs and appear in the list along with the vanilla ones. Keen specifically designed the cockpit LCDs to be player-configurable. They can show whatever you want (except real-time video, of course ;)). There will be more scripts both from Modders and from Keen. The ability to configure cockpit LCDs was in the free part of the update.

11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yup. You can almost watch Tron, but no Pron.

12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

There's nothing Modders won't mod. If you want Pron...

13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There are several internet memes that are NSFW. But I've always that a Goat-SE mod would be enveloping and humorous.

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

No! Can you don’t!?! :eek:

15. Donald Seaton Trainee Engineer

I honestly, would pay for all the Space Engineers DLC, I love the game. I would like to see a couple of new blocks, such as a bigger airtight hanger door. Also, a hinge piece that would allow you more flexibility when using the conveyor tubes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1