Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'General' started by Crawller, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Crawller Trainee Engineer

One of my big dreams about space engineers is have a realistic look planets. Big ones I say. But because people get confused, i'll show you a comparison:

The actual ugly planets
    [​IMG]

How it should look
    [​IMG]

I'm starting losing hope of Keen will made his planets to look like the second image. Just imagine view this beautiful landscape from your space station. And, please, don't say the typically "install a planet skybox". You know what I mean. C'mon Keen

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. odizzido Junior Engineer

What is the second pic from?

3. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

The first picture is of just about the smallest planet you can make in space engineers. The big ones look much better than that with less giant mountains.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Ye we will not get bigger planets than the 120km and to be honest there is nothing wrong with them. Afaik they can't get bigger without being buggy as hell. I remember donkeys ago the first question asked in the planet livestream was why 120km and the answer was it was the max that was possible. I do know someone made an edited larger planet but it wasn't performance friendly. Plus considering the max speed 120km is perfectly acceptable for SE.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

while roundness is cool- from a gameplay perspective is there any need for larger planets?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

the larger the better

7. Crawller Trainee Engineer

Star citizen
    --- Automerge ---
    Yep. This is the problem. You must to "sacrifice" the mountains to get something more nice. Anyway, I hope they will optimize the engine and finally, we will get at least these planets

8. Malware Master Engineer

The attitude is that as long as the speed limit is in place, larger planets are only a problem for gameplay. Personally I don't agree, I don't even see a need to travel around the planet, but it is what it is.

The planets could be made larger now. It has little to do with optimization. Modders have proven this. The current planets are quite deliberate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Phoera Senior Engineer

main diff in pictures is scaled height.
    seconds one is just mountains height, on second pic they are less peaked.

10. odizzido Junior Engineer

had a feeling it was star citizen. I don't think SE will ever come close to looking as good as SC does/will. It was built from the ground up to be pretty, SE not so much AFAIK. Also SC doesn't need to do as much as SE does so that's another hurdle....pretty much what I want to say is don't get your hopes up.

I'd love SE to look at good as SC personally, but it almost certainly will not. Also I have a question, can you actually fly around planets in SC like you can in SE? I've not been following the game too closely but I am interested in it.

11. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

**Warning complete disregard for topic**
    To go off topic Star Citizen is about to have planet landing implemented in the 3.0 update coming soon. Its probably going to be their biggest leap yet and yes you will be able to fly around them, onto them and walk around them. To me its what will differentiate E : D from SC. Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous and Space Engineers are at the corners of my space gaming triangle.

Back in topic. I have to say comparing SE planets to SC planets is ridiculous. Really the only similarities is you play as a person and they are both set in space in the future.

12. Spets Master Engineer

some people even complain about planets being added to SE because it delayed the development and caused so many performance issues because this people think they can run a game like this with a stoooopid laptop and you want full size planets?

I don't know if this is still possible, but you can change something in the some file to make extra large planets, and still, they don't look great because you will need a ton of work to add terrain details.

here is a 1500 km planet, I think there was one even bigger, but can't find it

EDIT: found it

4000 km planet

EDIT 2: damn, I didn't saw this one

12,000+ km planet

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

I don't think bigger planets make sense in SE, just to compare, 100m/s is only 360 Km/h or 223.7 mph. Even Planes go faster. In Space the speed is usually measured in Km/s or Miles per second. With the speed of 100m/s it would take hours to fly around the planet. I think that wouldn't be manageable in a game. And then the emptiness of the world. Try to find something on a planet would be as tediously as finding something in space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sykel Trainee Engineer

Standard planet 120km, it's beautiful. The only thing missing on this planet is... the ocean! But this concerns other threads...

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Coming up to a planet from a fair distance away at 100m/s is actually pretty cool. All the LODs work great for me and it looks beautiful right up to the point you realise you have gotten too close in your massive ship and can't escape the gravity :D

16. odizzido Junior Engineer

I also think they're pretty good. I started a game yesterday and the spot I found to build at is really quite pretty.

17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Unless things have recently changed, oversized planets (those greater than 120km in diamter still load). I ran servers with oversized planets and there was no substantial impact on the game.
    I can understand that Keen doesn't support oversized planets, the same way they do not support speed mods. But I'm a little miffed that I can't override their decision outside of the GUI anymore.
    The only issue I experienced was the occasional falling through the textures in areas where the geography was ridiculously steep and the PNG's resolution wasn't high enough to keep it consistent. Oh the horror.

But the bottom line: driving or flying around a 3x Earthlike was SO, SO, SO immersive. It really FELT like a planet. There was depth to exploring somewhere, beautiful canyons, long sweeping hills, the game just felt bigger.

Unsupported: understandable.
    Unavailable: the horror.

18. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I wouldn't go calling them ugly they are reduced in quality because it takes a bucket load of cpu attention to shape the planet nicely from that distance.
    what if instead of getting realistic planets we just get..........keens version of planets. :p

often hilly or impossible to pass on foot or with rovers.
    thats why we have flying grids and jetpacks after all.
    although i do love rovering across a desert on an alien, mars or earth-like planet

hopefully... :/ ....hopefully randomly generated planetary structures can eventually become a thing.
    just something to decorate the landscape like in red faction guerrilla.
    could take every 20th ore spot or something and generate environmentally decorative something based on the planet.
    [​IMG]

19. Oselotti Junior Engineer

Space engineers planets are made of voxels and Star Citizen planets are traditional 3d objects. There is huge difference between them.

20. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

im they're a million billion miles away.

but red faction had a very similar system like space engineers.
    only explosives could blow chunks out of walls and structures....thats partly what got me into SE

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.