Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What GPU to get?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Lyndeno, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lyndeno Apprentice Engineer

• Thread in wrong section
    So my Radeon HD 7770 is getting a bit old, planet performance isn't exactly where I like it. SO which graphics card should I get? I would prefer a good performance to cost ratio but still be able to play most of the latest games in the coming years. Most importantly though, I want great performance on planets on high settings. If you have prices, I'd like them in CAD please, thanks!

2. RainbowDashite Trainee Engineer

None, you shouldn't be upgrading just because someone optimized their game like shit.
    Wait for Keen to fix it before doing anything hasty that might not even work.
    See: Planets, Fallout 4.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  3. Xygen8 Trainee Engineer

This right here.

Also, the "useful lifespan" of graphics cards tends to scale directly with cost, meaning that whatever you do, the cost per month (total price divided by useful lifespan in months) will always be roughly the same. A $200 GPU with a useful lifespan of 2 years and a $500 card with a lifespan of 5 years will both cost a bit under $10 a month.

So really, you have two choices: Do you want a cheap card that offers constant average performance but needs to be upgraded more often, or do you want a more expensive card that offers excellent performance when it's brand new, but still performs much better than the cheaper card even when it's 3 or 4 years old? I know what I'd do - I'd go for the more expensive one every single time.

Also, Fallout 4? I haven't noticed any problems. It runs at a steady 60fps at ultra settings on my GTX 970.

4. RainbowDashite Trainee Engineer

I've read a number of people complaining about FPS dipping in it, even with your exact card, the GTX 970, just wanted to throw out another example - and not single out this game as a recently poorly optimized one that OP shouldn't necessarily upgrade for.

5. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

I have a Gtx 460 SE wich is supposed to perfom a bit better than yours and I have already ordered a new card since its really starting to get obsolete for gaming. It can still stand up but its going totally downhill from now on. Unless you dont care playing at lowest possible settings with mid to low fps in any modern game that is graphics heavy, I think it is the time to upgrade.

Im having a gtx 960 with 4gb for me as its both cheap and powerful enough. The R9 380 is a good choice too and its a bit cheaper and tends to performs a bit better. If you want high end cards that cost a lot, gtx 970 or 980 ti are good choices. The R9 Fury performs awesome too but its powerhungry.

Just dont look at any lower tier cards lower than 50 (gtx 730, 930). And dont go for a 750 or a 950, the performance difference with yours isnt great enough for the money you will pay. Spending more to get something better will pay off, or in case you cant afford one just hold on, or try to get another HD 7770 for crossfire.

6. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

If you want to upgrade, i'd suggest GTX970. It is the best gpu on the market for today, judjing by performance/cost ratio. For vendor i suggest MSI, good silent cooling system and more durable condensators.
    I was fond of radeons, but, unfortunately they loose to nvidia last few years :c

7. Lyndeno Apprentice Engineer

8. Devon_v Senior Engineer

There's a fair bit of evidence that nVidia's cards handle SE better, and while upgrading a card for a single game in development may seem questionable, I would consider that the card will help run future games as well, and who knows if this is the last feature that is going to up the requirements for SE.

It's important to note that games in development don't target current GPUs, but rather the ones that should be common when the game is finished.

9. Lyndeno Apprentice Engineer

My main goal is to run Space Engineers, flawlessly if possible, most of the games I currently own aren't a problem.

10. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Flawless is going to be quite a moving target, not only because of development, but also because as a sandbox there will always be something you can't build. nVidia cards seem to be fairing better, so the GTX would presumably be the pick, but damn, you can get a computer for that much money.

11. Lyndeno Apprentice Engineer

So I was reading reviews for the GTX, and a majority of them mentioned coil whine. Have you had any experience with coil whine? Is it really distracting?

Would this be a better option? http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX53902

12. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I've never run a bleeding edge GPU, and I've never been one of those who seeks a silent system, so I'm not really sure if I've heard coil whine. I'm guessing they mean the cooling fans?

13. Shabazza Junior Engineer

This is also my philosophy until now.
    But one thing to mention:
    The expensive card that can hold up for 3-5 years does often lack newer technologies in the long run.
    Things like the DX version, efficiency (power and heat), graphic features that come up after the buy, ect.
    If buying a new medium-level card every 2 years, you get those features added.
    But I buy the expensive one anyway. ^^

14. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

Thats the card I would like to buy if I could afford it. But I have to aim lower than that. That card will have no trouble running anything on the market today, including space engineers when it gets better optimized. The MSI brand has reputation of running silent and cool as mentioned above, wich leaves room for some overclocking too when times of need come. I would defenitely go for it.

15. sadpickle Trainee Engineer

The GTX 970 is a beast; paired with an i7 it can run pretty much anything at max settings buttery smooth. To be honest I haven't noticed unbearable noise, but I recently got my first water-cooled rig; I'm used to fan whine so I tune out and mostly ignore such noises from a couple decades exposure.

Really though, the performance issues with SE are not your rig It is the ugly code. An i7, 16 gigs of ram and the gtx 970 and I still can't copy+paste a large ship blueprint on a planet without dropping sim speed to 0.

16. a2457 Senior Engineer

currently you can not get a good deal.
    if i was you i would wait about 3 more months.
    then you will be able to get a bigger bang for your buck.
    and in the meanwhile SE will get some tuneups too.
    hopefully.

17. Lyndeno Apprentice Engineer

I plan on waiting for boxing day to see what kind of deals I can get.

Will an i7-2700k work fine with a gtx 970?

18. Dreokor Senior Engineer

That's funny, my GTX 650 Ti gets me 20 - 30 fps on plantes surface.

19. chrisb Senior Engineer

I tend to buy my system now, based on one game series.. I know..:eek:
    But its the series I play the most 'Arma', regularly for the past dozen years or so. Its a heavy game anyway so a fairly good guide, if I can play 'Arma' on it really well, then usually most other games are o.k. A2 being heavier than A3. I also play a heavily modded version of the game/s, that adds to the stress levels.. for the system, not me.:p

Silly I know, but its worked for me over the last decade or so. ;)

I'm not saying do that though, just thought I would mention it.. :munch:

20. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

Yep Arma games are quite demanding on launch specially on cpu. Running it fine at launch means running almost anything good too. Btw chrisb I have followed your Arma videos ant it helped me big time setting a good AI mod setting for Arma2, thank you.

21. Typo91 Trainee Engineer

GTX 970 is hands down the best bang for the buck right now...

Black Friday is right around the corner though.

I dropped from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 just to get my fps back in the 40s... from high 20s on planet... running a GTX 570... so its about that time, been thinking about it for a while...

NO trouble in any other games, with high settings... and this is an alpha game, with unoptimized features... but still, it would be nice to not notice.

It doesn't help that right now there is a MAX OBJECT bug.... i just opened my world in SE toolbox, and there was over 8000 objects floating!!!!!!! half of those where still on the planet surface!!!

deleted them, but they are just keep coming when get back to mining. Despite being set to 16 objects.

22. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

That's my card. It whines sometimes, but pretty silent. Whining appears only when FPS is 1000+ And it appears in such manner on all performance GPUs.

I have i7 2700K with it, but it's overclocked to 4Ghz. Also 16Gb Corsair Venegeance White DDR3 RAM.

Witcher 3 goes stable 45FPS on completely full max settings.
    SE in space does 50-110 FPS in space, 30-60 on planets with average 45.

Streaming does no effect on my FPS at all. Also as a bonus you'll get a ShadowPlay thingie, pretty neat feature.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  23. BoobyTrapGaming Apprentice Engineer

I can run planets @40-50FPS on my GTX 980 on low settings, no grass and low fauna density. I'd wait for optimizations if I were you, but if you want to play now(and of course get great performance in the future), buy a GTX 980.

24. PureEvil Trainee Engineer

What is your resolution and other specs? Something is really wrong with your FPS as I can run high details at similar framerates on my R9 280X. GTX 980 is like 3x better lol

25. chrisb Senior Engineer

Thanks, I appreciate it. But really all I did was point players to mix their AI mods a little and test to find the best outcome. I'm glad it worked for you. Some great mod makers left the series, unfortunately. However that said, they left behind some great work. ;)

26. anybodysguess Apprentice Engineer

You can pick up a GTX 780 pretty cheap for how powerful it is, should serve you well for a few years, its till a beast of a card.

I'm probably getting one soon, I have a 560 and its starting to show its age. Even in optimized games.

27. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Planetary perfomance is very much in the foliage and voxels as far as I can tell. I was able to get my outer space FPS back up to 55+ while looking at Earth and to a very playable 25-30 on the surface by simply lowering voxel and foliage detail to medium on my R9-270. Everything else (including view distance) is still maxed at 1920x1080.

Lowering the resolution and switching off AA had surprisingly little effect in comparison.

28. drkrieger Apprentice Engineer

The trick that most people don't know is that if you select the 'Low' preset for your graphics in game, it will tune settings that aren't visible in the menu. When I first fired up planets, my GTX 680 dipped way down to about 15 fps. As soon as I selected 'Low', it jumped back up to 45-60 fps. I was even able to up the texture settings and AF without much hit to framerates.

As for the Radeon 7770, it's a little aged. I'd go with what people keep suggesting (GTX 970), it's a very solid card. Paired with any i5 or i7 CPU, it's a killer combination for playing this game.

And for those of you complaining about 'optimization', just remember that this game is still in the alpha stage of development. Alpha is the part where they add features, so doing code optimization is a waste of time due to that optimized code breaking when new features are added. It's more efficient use of time to add in all your features, then optimize after. Planets required a LOT of game engine modifications to work, fixes will come in time.

29. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

Since DX11 is required, Get an nvidia card. Nvidia cards are better optimized for DX11. If it were DX12 then I would say AMD or a Frankenstein of both Nvidia and AMD because 1) it's hilarious and 2) Nvidia + AMD actually perform better together in DX12.

30. Archangel1-1 Trainee Engineer

Well if your going for the best you can get I'd wager on waiting for AMDs Gemini coming out in the next month or so.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.