Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What happened to Space balls?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rity, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Rity Apprentice Engineer

So recently ( possibly two updates ago? ) space balls lost the sliders for both friction and restitution. Does anyone know why? or for that matter, is anyone even happy about this? Space balls allowed a lot of my more interesting designs to work in this game, without rails or ~correctly working wheels, space balls were pretty much the only way to make consistent and safe moving creations. Why take out something that let people engineer stuff for once.

Now I've got 3-4 mechs, a bunch of small projects like player-pushed stairs to get in ships/ shipping crates, and a Space Tether project that was possibly the most fun project I've ever worked on, (Image 1 Image 2)all sitting there being useless now.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Harrekin Master Engineer

Space balls were literally an April Fools joke...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Unfortunately their usefulness has now made the joke obsolete, a joke they may have begun but a valuable tool they have become....

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rity Apprentice Engineer

I think while they were released as a joke, they were used as a bit of a testing block by the devs, because they were in the game almost since the beginning. ( found in files I believe, and eventually given a proper model) Also not sure why that make them useless. whats the benefit of taking them out/ ruining them?

• Like Like x 3
  5. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

I asked a few months ago if spaceballs were staying because I didn't want to design things around them if they were going to be removed. Luckly I thought they may change because they didn't update them when the GUI changed which allowed you to remove certain blocks from the GUI menus.

6. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

I don't believe they will remove them, they are using them on the tutorial scenario about using your jetpack.

7. tharkus Junior Engineer

i hope they return the sliders back to the spaceball , agree with who say, the spaceballs become something valuable.

8. Arcturus Senior Engineer

The recent "balance" patches also nerfed space balls' variable real masses. Now, only the virtual mass is adjustable. I don't like how none of this showed up in the changelog.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Its actually Ironic, I went to use spaceballs for the very first time 2 days ago.....Immediately stopped using them as I couldnt figure out to stop them displaying their names on the HUD (they displayed since placement and would not allow me to turn hud display off.) Now I hear you could do all of this other cool stuff with them and I dont even get to see it for.....balance =P

10. Harrekin Master Engineer

Seriously tho...they're called "Space Balls"...

Did anyone honestly think they'd be staying in indefinitely?

I agree there should be more block options for performing specific tasks, I don't think Space Balls were the way to do it.

11. Tajin Apprentice Engineer

The API still lists the Friction and Restitution properties for IMySpaceBall, maybe you can access them with a PB.

12. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Never used them much for the friction/restitution, but as artificial mass without power they are very useful. I hope they stay, although I could probably live without them.

13. Thnikkalemur Apprentice Engineer

Not to mention they should stay in simply for the ability to have space soccer...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

They are great for player made weapons since they are affected by artificial gravity fields and require no power.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Not to mention they are great as landing gears on planets - tend to hold off anything - even in the current state - and are only 1 and not two blocks high.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

My space soccer field lies lifeless :'(
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Yet, somehow, the blue team has scored more goals!

18. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

That was the last game I played... the feels :(
    I had just written that score script when they stealth nerfed the spaceballs. Now I need a damn tractor to move them :/

19. picklerok Junior Engineer

My guess would be that they are going to maybe replace them with a less April-fools-joke-esque so that we can more properly use friction and stuff, especially on planetary surfaces. At least, that's what I hope.

20. Rity Apprentice Engineer

I'd be totally fine with a rework, I just can't wrap my head around why they took them out with no replacement.

21. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Removal of the sliders and decoupling of virtual mass on the space balls are very disappointing changes.

22. Levits Senior Engineer

I was using them on pistons to allow for less complicated rotor settings. I made a mech that uses them for their ability NOT to damage other blocks as easily. The adjustability also served for testing various ship designs. I've not recently used them so to hear about this is rather sad. They were/are indeed useful despite any opinions regarding their strange name. If the Devs are going to alter them, I sure hope they have found a decent replacement for the things it allowed us to do.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Sinbad Senior Engineer

they were really usefull as bearings for sliding contact surfaces. I have a prime mover and trailer that used them for the trailer hitch. worked awesomely, haven't checked it since they changed them though,

24. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Can someone open up a suggestion thread for restoring all pre .095 features to space balls?

The only thing really OP about them is that they don't require power, but that could be balanced around component costs (ie require a bunch of power cells), or also give it battery like properties.

25. Zyfe Trainee Engineer

Feature removal is a pretty big problem. Granted that this is "early access" and everything is "subject to change". We aren't entitled to any creations we make, we agreed to that when we bought the product.

Unfortunately it still hurts when the game has features taken out that were actually quite useful and only served to expand the engineering aspect of the game. It would be a big mistake if they didn't put these features back in, in my opinion.

26. Harrekin Master Engineer

But in fairness to the Devs, it was an April Fools joke...

If people became dependent on them it's not really the Devs fault.

That said, alternatives to restore the functionality they allowed would be helpful.

#AlwaysaskforMOARblocks

27. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I think a better option would be to restore the friction/restitution sliders, but remove the artificial mass one. The artificial mass slider could then be added to the AM block. Then, as @tankmayvin says, give that block powercells and battery/jump drive style charging. I think that's a clean solution to this problem and gives us what I think we all want: AM without needing a battery and a ball for sports/bumpers etc.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Rity Apprentice Engineer

I'd be fine with that, I think if they were altered for balancing thats a good solution. Honestly though, I really just like to hear back from a dev or the like who can explain why it was changed in the first place.

29. Rity Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  30. Shikashi Trainee Engineer

My drop rovers are useless now TT.TT
    Now lets make a all over the world protest march

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.