Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What have you done with the wooden floors?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Tenzo, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

You've changed the wooden flooring from this really rustic, finished wood flooring to this *unfinished* *unpolished* *cheapest wood possible* look that feels like it would give me 10 splinters from even looking at it, nevermind handling it and stepping foot on it.

Why?!? :(

I don't think you guys have ever stepped on an actual wooden house flooring built in an old style - it does NOT look like that! The wood is cared for, tended to, so it does NOT appear like a cheap pile of unfinished, freshly cut wooden beams. That does not even look safe to walk NEAR, nevermind on. It is ghastly what you've done to the wood tiles.

Have you ever taken a woodworking class? I would guess maybe not. I Have.

There is zero, ZERO chance, that wood with intention of being placed and used as flooring, would appear untreated in any form whatsoever. Not even the poorest peasant would ever dwell in a house with flooring the way it appears now.

People put care into their homes, it doesn't matter if they lived today or a thousand years ago. Even if they didn't have modern lacquer or other technology. It doesn't take technology to sand two pieces of wood together until they loose that "raw look". To love your home and want it to appear nice, and to put some work into your wood so that it doesn't look like it came straight out of the sawmill is not a modern concept. I'm aghast.

We're talking about basic things, that even a carpenter from the BRONZE ages would know/be able to do.
    Basic craftsmanship, tending and caring for wood in order to not have it appear SHODDY. Where did you ever think that people never tried to have their houses look nice? Or were unable or unwilling to smooth wood?!

Yew, cider, there are so many types of wood that look nice without modern methods, because the wood itself is strong and this makes structures made out of it to be able to be made at a very high quality. In these days, and in days past. You have opted to make the wood appear in the cheapest way possible, as if people in those days didn't care about the look of their homes, or put no work into giving it a nice finish. Like they didn't live there.

I can't even tell what wood this is, it doesn't even look like any wood I have ever seen. It looks like a replica of the most crumbly, thinnest, cheapest wood one can find. I don't even want to know what wood this is. It is horrible. I would never want to use this wood in any construction. Even cheap scaffolding wood has a better quality to it than this. And this is the ONLY FLOORING we have. You can't use the old flooring if you don't like this "new" one, because you replaced it!

I can't even change it. I am stuck with this horrid flooring all over my structures. Floors that actually used to look nice before. Now, they look shoddy and unkempt, unsafe. Rough.

Have you ever thought of leaving the OLD FLOORS ALONE, and just adding new wooden floors to accompany the new plank walls? If you were going to re-texture anyway? You know, in case anyone is insane enough to want to have unfinished wooden flooring. But at least it would complete the new, abandoned shed look. What the heck?

Why change something that wasn't broken? To match the new plank walls? Thanks... They also look horrid, they look like the wood has partly rotted through. It looks like the wood on Jason's shack in the last Friday the 13th movie. Abandoned tool shed look. But at least they match the newly re-textured flooring. All we need are the chips that came out of the sawmill and you have that "fresh construction" look. But it doesn't look like anything anyone would want to live in. Injury and a million splinters come to mind.

Even the wooden foundations look bad now. There is zero finish to the wood, and I can tell you for a fact, that working with unfinished wood is very dangerous, especially more so in Medieval ages, where craftsmen would have been hand working wood much more closely. You would NOT have these sorts of foundation, where the wood looks like it would injure people's hands. Lastly, it gives me a physical impulse of aversion because it looks unsafe.

It's not that hard to care for wood so that it doesn't give you blisters or snap off into your hands into a million splinters. So shoddy. So unkempt. So nothing like anyone that actually put care into their work, would make.

Just when I think you guys had a good grasp on this title, you turn around and do something like this. :/

I've been focusing more on SE lately, this is the first time I've checked out the new update since it came out.. At first I thought you maybe changed the shaders. Then I noticed the stone looked about the same as I remember. Then I started to pay attention to the ceilings and then the "new" floor.....Yeah. Total debacle.

The new plank walls don't look like shed walls in the update screenshot - they look really good there - like fort walls. I was thinking to make a new fort. But in game? Abandoned shed.

If this is what I should expect from the new update format, it's time to run for the hills.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

They are game developers, not woodworkers so obviously they don't know(and most players including me) that current wooden floor block looks incorrect. For me it's fine but if devs wants to change it, it will be also fine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@Oskar1101
    Well, I am glad you found it funny but remember this is likely the same art team that brought us dirty windows for Space Engineers. Apparently designing flawed things = immersion. We shouldn't encourage this kind of thing because sometimes it can go too far. You know, like in Zoolander, where they advertise the "Derelicte" fashion line? It's meant to be a joke, but that's what happens when you take things too far and you are not self aware of what you are doing.

George Lucas designed Star Wars to have a "worn sci-fi" look. In the original movies, he deliberately wanted things and sets to look worn in, so as to make his audience be more familiar to an otherwise alien setting. But you can't take it *too* far, where it begins to show that you deliberately want things to look as cringey (and unkempt) as possible. That's equally as damaging to immersion.

'Cause in this example, here, with the floors... If you see wood like that, that has grains on it? Don't run your finger on it, because that is really unsafe. You will 100% get a splinter. You can *sometimes* but rarely, get a splinter from treated wood (wood that has been sanded down) and smoothed on the exterior so that you don't get any injury when handling it. (And you can't walk on grainy wood except with heavy boots otherwise, you might as well stick pins in your feet.)

In modern times this has been ever further reduced with the addition of various industrial treatment and various degrees of lacquer. So you never get a splinter from your dining room table, for example. Because not only is the wood sanded down, but it has a thin coat protective additives on it to completely eliminate that threat.

In the old times, people didn't have such methods, but they could still reduce that chance of injury significantly by applying rudimentary finish to wood (just rubbing it together works) so that you can handle it without having to wear thick gloves.

You gotta go against the grain to smooth it. ;)

--------
    I was just surprised. Usually I've always thought they walked a fine line between things with flaws and not giving us "perfect things". But in this case, it is really far on the other side of the spectrum. To the "Derelicte" far end of the spectrum. (The partially rotted (wood is never that dark unless it is beginning to rot on the inside) wooden plank walls also look out of place because the actual planks we can put on wood really do have a smooth, nice finish, so it really makes you wonder why the plank walls look so unmaintained. Am I building a shack here, or an actual building that has seen use but not abandonment?)

It further irks me because I always put a lot of love in my creations and when the blocks come down like that, it doesn't look like they were built with much attention at all. It sort of just looks like it was thrown together hap-hazardly and left out there without any further concern.

And yes, if you must know, I got an A+ in my woodworking class. :D

And just as an after-thought, if any devs read this, please don't change the planks to be equally grainy and unsmoothed so as to match the new wooden (shack) walls...... (Please return the old floors, they had a nice in-between look, not too perfect and not too rough around the edges. A nice mellow look suitable for both fancy castle interiors and cobbled wooden houses. They looked liveable. Sand down the foundations as well, to the way they were. Wood doesn't look "lived in" if it has spiky grains on it. Even as foundations--it still has to be handled by human hands and those generally don't like splinters.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Or offer both on the scrollwheel so that our fancy castle can look fancy and the roughed in homes can look, much less expensive. A dark stain will definitely bring out the grains in the wood. But this would be something likely only available to the Noble classes. Is stain a medieval thing? A wax polish is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

I like the grainy look. Its called 'dish out' and its a somewhat natural wear process, softer wood grain wears down faster than the harder grains. It is more noticeable in soft woods like cedar but can also happen with hard woods. The hatchet marks are also exactly what you would get from hand made wood floors (product). They didn't have planers, they use a side axe.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.