Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What is your back plan?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by High Ground, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

Was playing multiplayer today and I finished a little something I like to call

[​IMG]
    The Second Chance is designed to allow you to start over in the event your base is totally wiped out or at a minimum give you a respawn point that is hard to locate and destroy.

The Ship comes equipped with the following

1x Refinery
    1x Assembler
    1x Arc Furnace
    5x Large Cargo Container
    1x Small Reactor (may replace it with batteries)
    1x Beacon
    1x Medical Bay
    2x turrets (gatlings or missiles take your pick)

The ship is designed to be launched into deep space with a large thruster on overdrive (note turn off inertial dampers prior to launch). At the same time as you engage the main engine on overdrive, you also engage a timer block which after one hour will turn off the Engine on overdrive and turn on the gyroscope to override (placing the ship in an orbit). The ship will orbit the area until doomsday or it is destroyed (its solar powered so no worries about running out of power).

Prior to launch you load whatever you feel you will need into the containers, because once she is launched she will be near impossible to find unless you respawn on it. The turrets are there just in case someone stumbles upon it by accident. The ship is built as cheaply as possible (hence the wire frame) but also it is designed to hold together if it take a hit or two (if someone finds it). Usually if I get a decent base going I build one of these and place a few rigs inside a container and enough raw materials to get a good base going. This ensures no matter what I live to fight another day.

So whats your backup plan?

2. suckinsyn Trainee Engineer

Hey buddy, could you upload your ship? I would like to start new survival world using it :)

3. goduranus Junior Engineer

Well, I just pack some supplies into my warship or carrier and keep then separate form my main base, it's saved me the time of starting from scratch twice already.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  4. gi_ty Apprentice Engineer

While its a fun idea i think its a bit unnecessary. The extra lag on the server plus the difficulty of spawning on fast moving objects makes it seem a bit impractical. The best way I have found personally is to build a good main ship gather tons of resources fly out to the fringes and build a super station. I will usually leave a semi large small ship miner there as well. Throw it a good U reserve and some solar panels and your good to go. My deep space stations have never been found, I have only lost them due to server resets.

5. Haunty Apprentice Engineer

Cool idea. By orbit do you mean rotate? I have never played with the override settings.

For my backup I have just made a 2x4 slab of blocks in deep space. 1 solar panel on one side, a med room on the other side. 1 cargo container with components for the essentials.

6. Thucar Trainee Engineer

I do not plan on giving up my station without a fight. So I have multiple "Panic rooms." Double heavy armor walls, med station, multiple connections to the main base, emergency exits. Turrets and spare rifles inside, control station for controlling things in the main base. And of course - the panic rooms are all hidden.

7. Tcsisek Junior Engineer

I'm also working on a design for a tank to patrol the hallways in the multiplayer server I play in, currently one of my faction members is working on it though I think.

8. mredge73 Apprentice Engineer

I spread out. I have no super station on a PVP sever but I have 10+ small stations littered all over the map. These allow me to teleport all over the map quickly.
    Some are simple spawn only stations that are very hard to visually spot and are kept in medium traffic areas and are in within astronaut range of an asteroid.
    I also have 2-4 stations 30k from the nearest asteroid equipped with basic noob base items and usually a small fighter/grinder/miner to quickly respond to threats.
    I have multiple storage facilities 60k out for backup and a couple medium stations for construction and refining purposes 50-60K out. Large ships with medbays do not stay in port long to minimize exposure.
    I rarely equip stations with defenses; the trick here is to keep them very small and hard to visually spot. Ultimately I will loose a few stations but it gives me a good idea on the activity level in the area and gives me a search zone.
    And I never have to start all over unless the server craps out.

9. RTM Apprentice Engineer

A guy from my faction claims these orbits are not stable and eventually you lose the ship.

Hmm. Something to try out, I guess.

10. Tcsisek Junior Engineer

Doesn't nessisarily matter if they are unstable on infinite worlds, it's solar powered, has a medbay (how you would normally get it) thrusters and gyroscopes. You would spawn on it and fly it back.

11. RTM Apprentice Engineer

What server runs infinite worlds?

12. Tcsisek Junior Engineer

I haven't seen a boundary on any server I've played on, although I don't nessisarily look. Is there much of a difference from survival infinite worlds and multiplayer infinite worlds?

13. RTM Apprentice Engineer

[SIZE= 13.3333339691162px]
    Ah-ha. Almost every server deletes any ship or item that gets farther than 25, 50 or 100 kms from the center. Performance reasons.[/SIZE]

14. Tcsisek Junior Engineer

Oh, ok, I rarely go that far out though, probably the reason i don't see it, thanks for the info.

15. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I lost one of my ships when I was attacked when I had a gravity drive active.. I was killed in the cockpit, there was a medbay on the side of the ship and I spent about 10 minutes trying to turn the gravity drive off by chasing it... it ended up flying out of bounds and was deleted.

: <

16. RTM Apprentice Engineer

Why didn't you turn it off through the radio?

17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It didn't have one : <

I learned many things in multiplayer :woot:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.