Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What Mods would you like to see Vanilla?

Discussion in 'General' started by WraithLeader1, Jan 19, 2019.

1. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

Just sitting here looking at the mods and thinking, "That should be vanilla."

Me, it'd be the armor block mods and the armored conveyors...

Note: This is just informal, so no flame outs please.

2. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

I’d like to see the armor block variants completed, i.e., completing the 1x1 and 1x2 block set variants. There are a few mods that help with this, but none of them have all the variants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Malware Master Engineer

And none of them are actually armor blocks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

How right you are.

5. cataractus Apprentice Engineer

Camera Panning by Digi.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Retractable landing legs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Sarekh Senior Engineer

MexPex Weaponry - although rebalanced
    Eikester's Decorations Packs
    Eikester's block variants (Weapons Rack, small medical station, etc.)
    Torpedo Parts (has been ported and adapted so many times I forgot who made them first)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I have a list that I can't find at the moment, but I will not rest until Digi's Conveyor Hinge becomes standard.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

If I'm remembering correctly I think "Digi made it" is pretty much reason enough to want something in the game, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Calaban Junior Engineer

Modular Encounters Spawner
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521905890

-with the attendant:
    Surface Occupation
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135484957
    and
    Air Traffic
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=973526550

and for spawnable vanilla atmo drone bases- that vary antenna range over time to generate infrequent ship raids:
    Assertive Installations
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1464803311
    .. just to not have an entire Earth just to myself in SP

Azimuth Passenger seat & open cockpit
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=468593951
    ..just for the small grid control seat (to skip the remote control while seated process)

Camera Panning
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=806331071
    .. because I always thought cameras should be able to look around.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

There are so many I would love to see as vanilla. I think the easiest one for Keen to bring in would be Digi's Hinge mod.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Yes! Or provide conveyor tubes for 1x1 (45°), 1x2 (26.565°), and 2x1 (63.435°).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

I know it's technically not a mod, but I'd love to see MMaster's LCD script incorporated into the vanilla game. Maybe as a block, a sort of "read only" program block, since the current script is almost entirely programmed through the custom data function of the program block (to set the LCD tag) and block name/custom data fields of the displays themselves. Plus, that way, we could have our custom LCDs (which add TONS of immersion to the game) even when other scripts aren't allowed because of the whole experimental mode thing.

EDIT: Adding-- Digi's interior light access mod would be awesome, too. Especially helpful in creative, when you can't group newly placed, but incomplete, lights easily in the "K" menu.

14. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

Mods that will give the game more then 2 weapons which it has had since 2013..................

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

As long as they're balanced, then YES... I've seen way OP weapon mods that are game breaking for me..

16. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

If you have the mod that allows NPCs to spawn with any weapon you have in your game it levels the playing field a lot. When the NPCs can fit the "awesome cannon of doom" and simply spawn the ammo needed while you need to suck up a ton of ingots for one shot you start to question why you put them on your game in the first place.

17. Sentinel-Ghost Trainee Engineer

Be nice to have more powerful thrusters and gyros for use on larger ships

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Spets Master Engineer

I would say Hinges, but I prefer more armor blocks, so my ships would look less squared

19. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Just a few in no particular order. These are just the ones that I don't think would take gameplay away from people.

Ladders, Small Small Battery, Wind Turbine, Aerodynamics, camera to screen, Armour sheets, concrete, paintable wireframes, Build Info, LCD Cockpit, Scarce Resources, Milkyway Skybox, Jump Inhibitor, Space Foliage/Plants, Hunting and Food Mechanics, Jump Drive/ Reactor Critical Explosions, Coloured Icons, Better UI, Realistic Ore, Shields, Procedural World, All the NPC mods, Grind To Learn, Holographic Projector, Camera Panning, Easy Inventory, All the Decoration blocks, Animated Interactions, more Animations

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  20. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Burstar a couple of your mentions will be in 1.189. :)

21. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

The one @KissSh0t said already and the air leak detection mod. I would like more weapon options for ships but I don't have a mod set I like for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. vadersson Trainee Engineer

I have never used Mods, and I was wondering what were some good ones to investigate. This thread is going to be really helpful. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  23. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

I like the practical suggestions.

I'd like decorative blocks: bunks, chairs, desks, and so on.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

How about some Vanilla cake too? lol

25. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

There are some things the vanilla game needs that are not blocks. One of my all time favorites is the Paint/Delete Cursor. It's a small thing but it can really help with building things. When I start a new session it's the first thing I put on my hot bar.

26. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Just made me think that I'm kinda waiting for the reload animation to be implemented, I noticed keen added a counter for the player held weapon but no animation yet......

I have OCD okay I need to reload.

27. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

I went a long, long time playing before I started using mods. And then only sparingly. My opinion has always been that mods are great until they don't work (for various reasons, mostly due to SE updates), then they're not so great. So most of my builds have been vanilla, with a few including a mod or two that are necessary for the game's objective(s).

I confess, however, that the build I'm doing for Ranos' third shipbuilding contest would not be really feasible without mods (because of its immense size). So I said to myself, "In for a penny, in for a pound." Or, perhaps better said, "Hold my beer while I do this." I must have about two dozen mods so far, but it's all coming together in a six-year-old-with-Legos sort of way.

For the most long-term stable builds (at least, until SE is formally released and semi-fixed from a revision standpoint), stick with vanilla components.

As Forrest Gump once said, "And that's all I'm going to say about that."

• Like Like x 3
  28. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Even though I liked your post, Spiff, I disagree. I have builds that are as old as the game itself that are mostly mods i.e. if you spawn them in a vanilla world all you would get is a few unconnected armor blocks. When an update makes a mod obsolete I just look for a replacement, and the replacement is usually better. Also, a lot of mods that I really liked that went away are coming back better than ever, and this time it's less likely that an update will break them.

In my opinion, the only reason to build all vanilla is if you intend to publish your work and want to guarantee it will work in any world, or if you intend to use your build in someone else's world. If you want to make the kinds of builds SE is capable of, you should explore mods.

29. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

I certainly understand your point. And I should have mentioned that I had a bad experience with some mods when I first started playing SE, so it colored my opinion a bit. Maybe a bit more than a bit. Yeah, that too.

30. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Well, when I first started playing SE you had to manually add the mods in, yeah the good old days before Steam integration. Lol. So for me, mods were a taboo for quite some time. Now though there are so many that really do add to the game and should be incorporated into the base game.