Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What to upgrade?

Discussion in 'General' started by DragonShadow, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

I have no idea if this is the right forum, but here goes, lol.

I feel the need to give my computer a bit of a boost with the advent of planets. I'm able to run around planets okay but having even small amounts of blocks around and the FPS starts getting choppy. What I'm wondering is WHAT to upgrade to fix that, especially since grids in open space don't bug my computer much until they're massive in size.

I have an i7 8-core processor, it's fine. My graphics card is a GTX 555 and I have 8GB of RAM. Eventually I'll improve both but which should I cover first? My thanks to anyone who cares to give me their thoughts, hehe.

2. Ortikon Apprentice Engineer

The vid card is an OEM, replace that. I did with my OEM card and my pc (similar to yours actually) was fantastic after.
    OEM cards come in pre-builts, they are 'capable' of up-to-date tech but usually barely. My last OEM had "2gig Vram" before regular cards even had 1g, turned out it actually had no ram and took it from my 8gigs regular ram.
    Upgraded to a 560ti several years ago and gave the whole PC a new lease on life. I am doing it again soon with a 970 ( i jsut can justify a 980 series for the money).

3. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

That's what I've been leaning towards, but RAM is cheaper, haha. I know I can fit a GTX 660 inside this computer (Alienware x51) as long as I also upgrade the power supply.

4. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

why would you get a 660, you can get a 750ti for around $100, and it pulls less than half the power of a 660, so you shouldn't have to upgrade your power supply.

5. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

I was given the impression that it was the best option that could physically fit in the space available in the case (it's REALLY slim, lol). Checking the specs on the Nvidia website it looks like the 660 and 660ti are better than the 750ti though. 750ti is half the size but not quite as good on anything.

6. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

True, but the difference between the 660 and the 750ti is a benchmark of 4000 vs. 3600

7. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Hmm, my apologies, I don't have the time to research quite as much as I used to, so I don't know what that means exactly. Is that a measure of overall performance?

8. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

That is according to the benchmark used by videocardbenchmark.net, has a huge database of user submitted benchmarks for every popular card. The figures I gave are the average benchmarks. :)

9. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Weird, for me that website shows the 660ti at a 4703 benchmark compared to the 750ti's 3688, and that's with 1gb missing from the 660ti's stats...dammit internet! lol Thanks for the info though, I can peek around that site more.

10. RainbowDashite Trainee Engineer

Upgrade your RAM to 16GB and downgrade your expectations of KSH to make an optimized game. ;)
    Seriously though upgrade RAM to 16GB because I've had the game go up to 10GB of RAM usage and you WILL crash if you run out of RAM, 16GB is the generally recommended amount for minor overkill in 2015.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Xygen8 Trainee Engineer

Nothing. If your rig still runs other games without problems, I'd say wait for a few weeks and see what happens once Keen get to work on optimizing the planets. I'm pretty sure we can expect some rather significant performance improvements in the coming weeks.

If you absolutely want/need to upgrade, get more RAM and/or a new GPU, as others have suggested.

12. cedi Apprentice Engineer

I got 32 GB two years ago and thought it was overkill. Wouldn't give it back. Running SE with planets, 42 chrome tabs, VS, ..., all at the same time without using more than 25-30% of your ram is just awesome. (But I guess 16GB would also be enough.)

13. waterlimon Senior Engineer

both gtx 750 ti and 660 are below recommended specs. You might not even get 30 FPS. (660 Ti is the minimum recommended gpu for nvidia on steam page of SE)

Compare the card with what keen recommends on some gpu performance review site (I use 'futuremark' site, never really looked into them, but it gives you number you can compare performance with)
    Ideally youd want at least the recommended level of card. If you want it to actually perform well, even better than that.

Make sure your computers power supply is able to run the new card though, if its a really power hungry model.

14. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

You can never over-RAM, lol :woot:

Actually the 660ti is the recommended card, not the minimum. Unless Keen means something different than most developers (which who knows, they might).

As far as other games go, they pretty much all run problem free. Not at max settings for a decent percentage of them mind you, but no actual problems. I've been thinking I'd start with the RAM upgrade to 16gb because it's cheaper and that would mean when I do get a graphics upgrade I can get a better card for less money than now. Buuuuuut the 660ti is reasonably priced if you shop the right places.

15. Sinbad Senior Engineer

780ti, good bang for your buck. Better than some of the 900 series for performance alone. Factor in cost vs performance and it wins hands down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Phew, a little over my intended budget (for now), but definitely a better bang for the buck!

Seems like the consensus leans towards a new GPU, and I have to agree with the principle of replacing an OEM part, hehe. Time to start saving!

17. Sinbad Senior Engineer

This site http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html is rather handy for choosing new hardware (or what older hardware to look for). while the prices may not reflect what you find localy, the relative prices should hold. So if it shows card x being twice the price of card y, you can generaly expect to see that even if card x is $100 more in your area.

Its fun looking through the tables for the whacked outliers too. Like the 780ti.

18. PeTeTe809 Apprentice Engineer

Allow me to steal this thread.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz
    Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Memory 8.2 GB

These are my specs, what should I upgrade?

P.S. I think video card is all I need. I'm looking at NVIDIA 960 4G.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Springbohne Trainee Engineer

@DragonShadow
    You can't fit a Gtx 780ti in to your X51, because the cards are to long and draw too much power.
    Your options are limited to cards that are 9.5 inches long and have a tdp of 170w max. (with the 330w powerbrick).
    The cards must have a blower Style cooler. Oh and the X51 has only two 6pin power plugs for gpu's.

20. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Fear not, I won't be buying one. I would've measured to see if the chassis has an inch to spare (which I doubt) anyway. I did NOT catch the different number of pins for one of the power plugs though, good eye.

Now let's pass this back to @PeTeTe809, hehe

21. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

Your card is equal to the gtx 460 i had until a few days. I installed a new 960 and was worth it. You can try to get a new card. After that your cpu may be a bit old but im not sure if its worth upgrading. I have an i5 2500 and dont feel any need to upgrade it though. Ram is fine still dont touch it.

Btw, my new 960 didnt fit inside . I had to make some adjustements. Just to say that my hard disk trays now have a ( ) shape instead of a square shape . Never forget to check sizes as I forgot to do.

22. Uzul Apprentice Engineer

I can really recommend the actual nVidia 9xx series, simply because they reduced power usage by like 30% while also increasing perfermance by like 30% aswell - My computer had a 560 ti on a HD dusplay before, and now I'm running the same old computer with a gtx 980 on a 4K screen, and my performance still skyrocketed ... (i5-2500, 16GB)
    The other huge improvement for me was an SSD drive, which really kills all those little waiting-moments for windows ...

23. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

Add another 8GB of ram. I've noticed when playing SE with planets it uses 6-7 Gigs of ram not counting any other application.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.