Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What would it take to boost interest and interaction?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Mike55520, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

There is a small but lively multiplayer community in SE that is full.of factions, interaction ( friendly and warlike), trade, ect on survival MP, what would need to happen to build that up?

If we could secure the participation of server admins we could create a network of "sectors" with common rules and settings, best case: one guy is/was working on a warpgates mod that links servers via a warpgate, that transfers you, your ship, and your cargo between servers. This functionality could be perhaps the most important mod SE has seen as far as the community.

There's currently no agreed upon currency, rules of trade, rules of engagement, ect, can we as the come try to build it?

2. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

Good multiplayer net code. That's the biggest hurdle that is stopping people playing this game more.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Telquel Trainee Engineer

Indeed better netcode which allows make larger servers. More players on same world more interactions in war and peace. Maybe some currency would be ok which could apply by selling stuff to npc market or killing npc. Tho currency is hard to balance anyways.

4. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

1. Better Netcode is crucial, as it is right now with a worse rig your ship flies slower than the one of the player with a better rig.

2. A reason to meet with other players/travel. Like fields with a few astroids that lack specific resources.

5. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

• Better netcode
    • Better Dedicated server - Right now, its a pile of scraps that never stops crashing
    • Better client-side performance when several players/ships/stations/things are on the server
    • Better admin tools (built-in, not via a mod) which are accessible in-game
    • Better goals for players to team-up or fight over
    • Linux dedicated server (I see this being asked for a lot) - Currently, if you want one for SE you need to do a lot fiddling and messing with various different settings. Not exactly great for getting the game out there in terms of MP

• Like Like x 2
  6. Running Trainee Engineer

Only one planet, close to 0,0,0.
    75% will want to establish a base on it.
    25% will want to destroy it.

There will be interaction :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Meeep Trainee Engineer

and half of the 75% will want to do both

• Like Like x 1
  8. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

That's similar to the "fish bowl" style servers where all the roids are primarily in one location.

Infinite maps are terrible in multiplayer as it doesn't force the players to interact.

Either 1 planet or a limited roid pit forces the players to go to the same watering hole. They'll either get along or start fighting. The latter tends to be entertaining.

9. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

I would love to see this happen!

The netcode does need work admittedly, but it's not impossible right now. My players don't complain.

My issue it's that I'm currently the only admin on my little server, so the manual transfer of a ship would take time - I'm not on as often as I'd like to be. Warpgates would be very welcome for this, but would likely require a centralized server for characters and ships

Interaction can be attained with story arcs and overall themes. I've found that common threats and goals are good motivators.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  10. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

Making an interserver warp gate mod with SESE and a mod is very feasible. This could be done with enough time. The bigger issue is compatibility. Servers would need to all be running the same "block" mods. (If one server is running Azimuth's reactors while the other server doesn't, the player will find themselves drifting.)

This can be done, but people would have to give up control of certain mod choices.

11. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

That's the other big issue. Everyone has to agree on the same mods. I've had new (1st day) players leave my server because I wouldn't implement this or that mod. People get attached to their faves.

SESE won't run on my dedicated server,so that would be a problem for some as well.

12. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

That's a big problem. This can only work with SESE. Only SESE will give you the ability to transfer a ship between servers.

Are you on a hosting site?

13. MTXRooster Trainee Engineer

I see many of these "community building" type things happening with mods down the road, just as with the block builder Minecraft. Nothing stopping someone from putting either a mod system that's modular or numerous independent mods to things identical to the economy plugins, the shop plugins factions, etc.. It could be done.

14. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

I am, but the hosting option needed to run SESE is cost prohibitive for me.

15. Red Corsair Trainee Engineer

better netcode which allows shoot my guns without self-destruction of my ship...

16. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

Your host company charges extra for SESE?

17. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

Room for many players in a server without everyone warping all over the place, so yeah better netcode.

18. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

Currency would be awesome but probably indeed very hard to balance. I like how it works in Eve Online, where the community influences the economy. Tho the deves did hire an economist to keep an eye on the situation. :p Trading of items is possible tho, maybe iron could be the basic way to pay for things.

19. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

Netcode is the easier answer, but they are working on that. More people directly correlates to a higher probability of running into someone, but space is big and that's not enough on it's own.

Automated Faction Rule Enforcement. Inviting too many strangers into your faction is just asking to get your stuff broken, stolen, etc. If there could be ranks allowing control or not and automated kick feature on a faction for players breaking something in the faction they aren't allowed to access so turrets could help minimize the damage caused by a saboteur or incompetent player. Without that worry, factions could get larger. With larger factions comes a better support system if you damage or lose a ship in a skirmish, which brings a greater acceptance of risk. Surrounding every key section of the factions main base with interior turrets with permission to shoot your own faction's bottom tier, would make me feel better about inviting any random person into a faction.

Resource distribution. Asteroids being a completely random distribution of resources means there's no overlap on where people have to go to get stuff. Perhaps predetermined factors in the randomization. Like perhaps more density in ring shapes every thousand km with less density in between. Each layer of rings has a different default main ore instead of iron. While a ring of greater density would still be a massive area considering the circumference of even the innermost ring, it still means there is a steady course that could be patrolled that would have a greater probability of finding another player than just a purely random distribution.

Better chat. Comms are very inconvenient and the chat system is very much what you would expect from an alpha game. I'd like to see them follow the MMO model for a chat system. Something with multiple chat channels and windows so communication in faction or person to person doesn't have to be such a pain. Channels could still require antenna and open chat channels could still be publicly accessible even if there are multiple to choose from. Just anything to help sort out the mess that is the current chat problem. And a chat log so we don't have to go over the whole plan again because one person was afk.

20. VonKlutch Trainee Engineer

From what I've experienced on multiplayer, Id really like a way to hail ships. Actually speak to them through voice chat. but of course only within communications distance.

Would love to see the game become more a game of exploration and trading than kill on sight. This isnt a war game is an engineering game. lol That being said, well stuff happens am i right?

money would be good, but only if there were premade ships to buy or you have to use money and ore to purchase goods through a manufacturer at a station. Of course that would really only matter if there were restrictions on what assemblers can do. This would force everyone to shop at the nearest outlet station.

I think it would be nice to be able to find like a daralect ship, go in to salvage it and have to hack their computers for data, where I can find coordinates and stuff of a station full of goods or sellable data to a station. Something other than finding stuff in their cargo.

21. VonKlutch Trainee Engineer

wouldnt thigns like Ice and Uranium be the most valuable objects to use for currency?

A friend and I were talking about this a month or so back, and seems to me ice and uranium are your two main survival ores. And they dont seem super abundant. Iron on the other hand is virtually everywhere and in obscene amounts. someone makes a mega driller and he's all of a sudden a rock'rfeller.

22. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

a point or set of points of common interest,perhaps with a spaces system(like EVE), that gives something that is entertaining enough to bother keeping track of. then people could interact with it. imo, just sitting around in space and hoping nobody takes your stuff when you're gone can get a bit dull after some time.so, something the community can be aware of,and have players feel like they're a part of something.

if they add better networking and some sort of aliens system an expedition force could be made to investigate ancient ruins and stuff.
    when planets are released, they might provide something for people to gather around,since they're large, and people could try to claim territories around it as well.

23. VonKlutch Trainee Engineer

I've been kinda looking around for a whitelisted server. something where only people on the same level are. People that actually want this from a server, and not just to watch the place burn.

24. Carbon Mask Trainee Engineer

I'm in the same ship. I just started a server with a similar idea in mind. The challenge is finding like minded people who play
    by the rules set by the majority.

25. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

The Velkuri Saga will return to whitelist when Chapter 03 begins.

26. Ivo™ Trainee Engineer

Netcode has got to be the number one item that needs developing - Raknet :) we know this is coming so there's hope for the future

I see people talk about trading - this will not work unless you have something they want and visa versa

I think the infinite universe is a big bonus in multiplayer, there are, I am sure many of us that like to go build a hidden base far from the spawn point, this is a big draw for me to the game.

linking servers with gates is a great idea - as long as your server has the mod's then your server can join a given universe, as a server op get to choose the kind of universe you want to join.

obviously skybox mods can be excluded so each server can have its own unique skybox, maybe only allow one server in a universe network of linked servers to use a given, so the skybox will tell you 'where you are'

An option box for the server to make one of the resources very rare - randomly (excluding iron and ice), so it needs to be imported, this would create traffic at the jump gates

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  27. kittle Senior Engineer

Aside from the obvious netcode issues - the main issue is the amount of resources available. Each SE world has enough resources for everyone on the entire planet (6 billion people) to make several ships -- thats WAY to much. Scarcity is what drives interaction and conflict.

As others have said, the ore distribution needs to be less uniform.
    We also need the overall amount of ore per asteroid to be drastically reduced. Asteroids with 100% stone should be common, not the exception.
    And lastly, the ore detectors need a serious rework. I would add a "sampler" block that you point at an asteroid and it tells you the types of ore are inside (but not quantity). Then we dont need to spend the first 15hours of gameplay flying to various asteroids looking for materials.

Lastly - once asteroids are depleted of ores, they should NOT be respawned

28. plaYer2k Master Engineer

There really is just one thing that encourages "interaction" ...

[​IMG]

Think of how valuable the corpses of certain players in Eve were.

29. plaYer2k Master Engineer

There really is just one thing that encourages "interaction" ...

[​IMG]

Think of how valuable the corpses of certain players in Eve were.

If we could collect skulls from killed enemies (PvP with names, otherwise just generic skulls like saberoid skulls) and put them on displays like wooden wall panels or even bloody spikes, that would be lovely for RP and any other mean of e-peens.

30. Running Trainee Engineer

I'm sorry but skull collection is not the way to increase interaction. In fact it's the opposite.
    The more scared I am of other players, the more distance I will create between me and the center of the universe to decrease the chances someone will find me.
    I will only travel to locations where other players are when I choose to and in the current situation, why would I?
    - Consensual PvP
    - Friendly visit to look at what others have created
    - Destruction of other peoples stuff.

For resources mining is easier. Finding other peoples stuff is hard. If they work as hard as me on not being discovered I'm not going to find it.
    Friendly visits... why would people invite me as they know the risk of someone coming back on a not so friendly visit?
    So the only thing is "Hey shall we have a small battle in 0,0,0?"

The only feasible way to mess with other hidden stations is sending out lots of drones... but all those drones buzzing around will probably hurt server performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.