Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Whats the most players anyone's had on a server at one time?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MarekW, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MarekW Trainee Engineer

Hello all!

I have an idea, but for this idea to work, we need to see how many people SE can currently hold.

How many people has anyone had on a server at one time?

Was it playable with this amount on?
    Or were their any detrimental effects on performance?
    When could you notice the lag/ or issues starting with more an more people on one server?
    Any performance statistics as more players came on the server?
    How many people could grind at the same time without you noticing issues/ lag etc?
    Or any other insight you can give me on the worsening performance with more people on the server would be brilliant!

Thank you for your input!

2. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I saw records of a server that had 42 people one day. Don't know the hour by hour breakdown, but that is the most I've seen.

3. MarekW Trainee Engineer

Thats pretty good, thank you!

Any chance you can remember the name of the server?

4. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Land of Nod got up to 48 one day: Link

5. artisticMink Trainee Engineer

12 to a maximum of 16 are good numbers at the moment. If you set more then that, you're wasting gameplay experience of players for the feeling that you have a really big server.

6 Players: Smooth, rotors and pistons work.
    8 Players: Smooth, rotors may cause Problems.
    12 Players: Slight warping effects, rotors will break in movement. Pistons work on stations.
    16 Players. A lot of warping, rotors and pistons will not work.

This numbers aren't tied to hardware specs.

6. MarekW Trainee Engineer

Thank you both of you!

7. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

Honestly, when we have had 40+, its not that bad. I believe that if the server is well maintained, and has a decent processor, and people are chill, 30-50 should not be an issue.

The bigger problem is connection/disconnection spam, and this increases with the number of players you're currently hosting (# of disconnects increases as the number of people increases, which leads to reconnects, and a high # of people on a server tends to invite more people, so it's an upward spiral.. Every time someone connects, it lags out the rest of the players. When you start having 30+ on a server, you start getting 1-5 connection attempts a minute, on average, and THAT lags the hell out of the server.

Other issues are number of currently active functional blocks and current # of moving cubegrids.

Asteroid surface area seems to be the main culprit of world size, and that can affect in-game lag as it is a main contributor to the time players stay in the download, which lags the server.

8. MarekW Trainee Engineer

Ahhhh ok.
    Yeah asteroids drastically increase world size.
    So basically if the worlds fairly small then it could support lots of players, but its when more players, more objects, more asteroids... more moving cubegrids, thats issues start occurring.

That's great input! Thank you

9. artisticMink Trainee Engineer

14 Players on a 32 Asteroid Server with a 6 week old map cause a load of ~8% on an E3-1230V3 @1Ghz.

Limiting factors, at the moment, are: Player Count, Map Size, Trahs in the save file. On an active server, you need at least 1 reboot per day and a cleanup using the Server utility tool.

Rather create 3 12-player instances then one 36 slot server. Your players will thank you.
    Our 16 slot (which we also reduced to 12 by now) is usually full and still manages to be in the first three to five results if you sort for players. People are also more likely to stay on the server and play rather then disconnecting immidieatly after joining. The hopping usually occurs because they are joining, then noticing the amount of lag, and then immediately leave.

10. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

i guess we have different experiences? my processor starts out at like 60% just for the game and then fluctuates between 60 and 90% for that core no matter how many people are on. i dont see a big change in end user server performance between 1 and 20 players, above 20 is a slight slowdown, and again at around 30, but at no point have i noticed it becoming unplayable because of # of people. that is inevitably because of connection attempts, moving cubegrids, and time the server has been up.

..if by map size you mean world size, i agree, but map size (i.e. the entire play area) is a non factor. our map size is 2kkm cubed, and i havent experienced smoother gameplay when testing a smaller map size.

..i also agree that a regular restart is beneficial, and i didnt list that so thank you for correcting the information, but i've been able to stretch my uptime by using SEServerExtender to delete trash live.

11. Havok56 Trainee Engineer

I spent quite a bit of time on the public Borg server, I know there were at least 35+ people on there at quite a few points, I can say with some certainty there were 40+ at a times as well

12. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

I've definitely seen borg on top of the list most of the time with probably an average of 20 or 25.. i know they have 3 or 4 servers as well, most of which have quite a few players on at all times.. mr borg could probably help with this convo. does he post here?

13. Tassadar Apprentice Engineer

On 8byteGaming we have seen up to 36 players on at one time.
    The server starts to slowdown at around 30ish players so we capped it at 25.

Most of the lag seems to come from how long the server has been online and the disconnect/reconnect lag spikes.

14. Havok56 Trainee Engineer

I just know I have seen with my own eyes 36 concurrent players online, it was like 4 or 5 weeks after the dedicated server update.

15. MarekW Trainee Engineer

Thanks all of you so far, thats some good insight!

So with currently around 40 players have been tested and worked pretty decent and can be supported with small/ no issues as long as its maintained, and the connection attempts are limited with decent hardware

16. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

yeah but dont expect a miracle, its still alpha and quite a bit of work

17. psycore Apprentice Engineer

I run a server with 44 asteroids and peak amount of players at 25.

Server runs great in a VMware environment on 2x dedi cpu, 4GB ram and a 500mbit connection.

Biggest problem is Updatelag. It can sometimes reach as high as 500. UPS(updates per sec) can drop to around 1-2. You get the "slowmotion" lag.

This is caused by assemblers and refinery i think. I will try to use a tool to clean up.

18. squisher Trainee Engineer

I avoid servers that ever go over 15 players online, due to the amount of lag created by keeping everyone in sync. Frequency of lag spikes due to players joining tends to go way up at that point as well.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.