Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Wheels - practical uses?

Discussion in 'General' started by ProfessorFalken, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spets Master Engineer

they mention large asteroids, and moving asteroids. I know, but how big they are going to be? enough to have to use vehicles? nobody knows yet

2. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

Well it depends on the actuall implementation.
    As for landing on ships - will the wheels be magnetic? Because otherwise it would be really hard to use them efficiently for landing.
    For usage on hangar doors - I hope rails will be doing the same thing much more area efficiently.

3. Marneus Apprentice Engineer

Wheels have many more uses than, you know, being wheels to travel on roads. Bearings, for once.

4. eyedentify Trainee Engineer

Limited imagination ?

5. Conradian Moderator

In role-play... Anything is possible!

6. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

I think wheels have a lot of applications, i'm bursting with ideas just based on the snapshot of them so far.

7. Azgodeth Trainee Engineer

wheels + massblocks + large asteroid = low grav dune buggy marathon, space baha 500 asteroid circumnavigation races, low grav high destruct space demo derby.

8. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

While my uses for wheels will be slanted towards mechanisms, I can see the love (and occasional need) for using them as transportation... With that in mind, I'd love to see them add a concrete/plascrete block set to go along with the wheels... It's a suggestion that has been around a while now, and could dovetail perfectly into having wheeled vehicles by providing a low material cost way to pave smooth roads for bases (and use up some of that endless supply of gravel we have).

9. Conradian Moderator

I believe the devs mentioned using gravel to create concrete in the AMA on reddit, so hopefully we will get concrete for our roads.

10. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

OH YES well remembered! I had forgotten about that. Concrete would be amazing especially seeing as how much rock there is. It would also become the hardest material in the game. So for static stations and structures it would be ideal. Probably too heavy to be used on most ships...

11. R Lee Ermey Apprentice Engineer

Wheels = waste of time until there is a rock big enough. There are some principles of basic machinery you can apply it to but its just another thing to pander to the creative mode "artists" instead of the Survival mode "Engineers".

12. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Or a big station?

13. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Ignoring the argument for a moment.... that looks fraking awesome :thumb:!

14. Rizzitoni Apprentice Engineer

I have to side FOR wheels. As others have stated, there are many, many objects that use wheels beyond vehicles that have practical use. The addition of the mass block and gravity makes them useful for a number of applications, including bumpers for your drills which can easily get destroyed with the wrong turn in a tunnel. Oh, and pirates trucks which are awesome.

15. MotherbrainJr Apprentice Engineer

This will draw the Darned idea Gastapo like flies (;)) but we need planets before I think wheels will be of any use.

16. Dragongaze13 Trainee Engineer

To give an utility to wheels in terms of transport, the devs could reduce the player's speed(at least when he is not using jetpack) so the terrestrial vehicles would a utility.

But while doing that, the player may prefer always using his jetpack..? Jetpack should have differents gears(speed ?) that would consume more or less energy according to its speed(max speed would be very energy consuming, but building speed - around 15m/s - would be as energy consuming as currently, or even less).

17. THE_VB Junior Engineer

actually, if the wheels are really that damage-resistant, I would like to use them in making different mechanisms, BUT!
    The wheels need hydraulics then, and hydraulics need some programming. Or do not, if they will be easily controlled.

18. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

Well point of alpha is being able to test the game as good as possible. While reducing jetpack max speed below vehicles/ships is a valid point and I believe we will ultimately get that, it won't come until at least beta when devs get to balancing.

19. Darkeners Apprentice Engineer

NO, NO, NO for slowing down player :p
    I have use for wheels anyway.
    Even on ship, or big station, if you are in vehicle you doesnt require chargin all the time

20. Skeloton Master Engineer

or worry about accidentally faceplanting into a wall at 111m/s

21. GenRommel Trainee Engineer

Putting wheels on ships for landing gear combined with mass block would allow you to move your ship around a station/carrier without worrying about thruster damage, especially if they're self powered.

22. R Lee Ermey Apprentice Engineer

Land vehicles will be useless like I said - its for artists, not engineers.

I can jetpack more material back and forth faster than any vehicle, and any vehicle without wheels I could make a quick manuverable ship that could move the stuff faster and automatically drop it all into collectors faster than any land vehicle could.

23. Skeloton Master Engineer

So my mechanical door mockup wasn't engineering? Sorry but in every single post of yours I get this fairly aggressive tone.

The image in this post was a 5min mockup of wheels and doors http://forums.keenswh.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1282457387&postcount=13

24. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

Land vehicles aren't useless, take tunneling for example (for the purpose of mining or creating a base), i'd like to see you make a tunnel as even and smooth as this in less than 5 minutes using a regular space craft: (skip to 4:45)

Also, no engineer with any shred of self-respect would ever call anything useless, it all depends on the task at hand.

25. Hawthorn Apprentice Engineer

I believe that land vehicles will be useful if small moon-sized stellar bodies are implemented. You know, things large enough to have their own gravitational field.

26. paswert Junior Engineer

Exactly, anyone who says they are useless is an idiot.

I've already thought of a way to use these, which definitely isn't a asteroid crawler covered in weapons...

27. R Lee Ermey Apprentice Engineer

Actually you know that tunneling vehicle proves me wrong. That is a fantastic idea, good job.

28. Lecic Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, wheels are totally useless for anything. Not doors, or autominers, or elevators, or bumpers, or small attack craft, or gears. Not useful at all. Only silly artists can make little pretending useful cars to drive around their pretendy little cities with.

They certainly would only be usable for exploring moons or planets.

29. R Lee Ermey Apprentice Engineer

Rotors are already pretty much wheels with a lack of circumference.

30. Conradian Moderator

Considering that currently wheels work by being circular blocks that you stick on rotors, yes they are... But in the future with full implementation you'll be able to drive a vehicle using wheels alone without using thrusters.

I plan on using them for drilling a nice straight tunnel by using suspension, wheels, and conveyors, as well as using them as better landing gear that can fold up (Similar to the suspension on the miner) and can wheel around the hangar without thrusters, thereby risking no damage to the carrier.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.