Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

When friend drills/mines in MP = DESTROYED framerate

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Thalestr, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Thalestr Trainee Engineer

My friend and I have a survival game going that we have been working on for a while. We have 2 small ships, two very small platform-bases and I have a large ship that is 1/4 built. Object limit is set to 82.

I host the server while my friend joins as a client. When he drills into the asteroid my FPS has always taken a bit of a hit but recently when he drills it bogs my framerate down to a crawl when eh uses the hand-drill. If he uses ship-drills my game lags so badly that time actually slows and I can barely move or assemble anything.

When this isn't happening the game works fine. My drilling doesn't seem to cause this problem for my friend or myself.

2. Meri Trainee Engineer

Why not reducing object limit? It is explicitly stated in the options that anything higher than 64 will hit the performance..

3. Dragongaze13 Trainee Engineer

Even at 64 or less, it lags a lot for the clients(but the framerate doesn't drop if your config is good enough). But they said they will improve the multiplayer code.

4. Thalestr Trainee Engineer

I used to have it at 35 and had to increase because at the time we were using hand-drills which meant the ore we mined was disappearing before we could collect it.

And the issue existed during that time too.

5. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

Without some form of reference on what your system specs are its hard to tell why you would experience a fps drop ( and of course all the usual applies, out of date drivers, ad-aware, viruses etc ).

6. Thalestr Trainee Engineer

I do not mean to be rude but please do not assume I am stupid. I am a PC gamer. My drivers are up to date, my computer is clean, my game is on an SSD, and I tested it at various settings.

My specs are: AMD Phenom II 965be 3.4ghz, Nvidia GTX560, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and Win7 64bit.

All of which are within the recommended hardware.

Edit: Sorry for the harshness but the "It's your computer" thing that people say when dealing with technical problems is a pet-peeve of mine.

7. Casiuss Trainee Engineer

I have the exact same problem. Buddy begins to mine, and all of a sudden time slows down oO
    If I can provide the developers with some logs and/or the world data please let me know.
    Would be great if that could get fixed as fast as possible since it limits our gaming to creative mode as survival is not an option because of this.

My PC config is similar to Thalestr's although I got 16 gigs of RAM and 2 Radeon 6870 in crossfire... Oh and an Intel I5 760@3.8 ghz.
    I dont think this is caused by my computer since like a week ago, all was fine. The problems appeared with the latest patch :(

8. Dragongaze13 Trainee Engineer

^^'

9. Casiuss Trainee Engineer

Sorry if thats common knowledge :p
    I thought maybe someone found a solution and cared enough to share it ;)
    But if the devs know whats up and are working on it i'm fine :)
    Thought I could maybe help by providing logs and/or world data.

Just good intentions at work here man :D

10. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

Hm well you could just try and see if you can determine if its an upload choke of something going on.. not sure on how SLI/Crossfire works with this particular game though but as for staying in recommended it is always tricky ( especially when it comes to these unfinished unrefined alphas that are not optimized yet ) as its hard to tell anyway; using a hotkey ingame.. think it was shift+f10? or something close to it, opened up the fps/upload/download/stream information so you can see if its going regular and when its dying if there is a drastic difference in latency or if its just your hardware it has issues with.

Edit - Just a theory as this happens only when he is drilling, is it possible that its not syncing correctly so the rocks he mines ( say 50% are now invisible because its him that mined them ) they still renders via the engine but are just not visible? so its a bunch of glitched bugged loose rocks everywhere causing memory leaks/clutter?

11. Casiuss Trainee Engineer

Ok after some testing I came to the conclusion, that it has to be something with how the world is updated on clients/servers.
    Everytime someone alters something (i.e. builds a block or mines something) there is a HUGE lag spike. Goes way up from 10ms to like 500ms.

Hope that helps someone ^^

12. Thalestr Trainee Engineer

Hopefully the netcode is improved soon.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.