Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Who already plans to take up piracy?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by meadman1, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. meadman1 Apprentice Engineer

<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" class="post_body" cellpadding="0" border="0"><tbody><tr id="post_date_divider_row"><td colspan="2" valign="top"><hr class="post_date_divider" size="1" /></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" valign="top" class="post" height="100%">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214759827
    This is something I've made, I feel like it makes a decent standard for a pirate vessel in terms of styling</td></tr></tbody></table>

2. Grim Apprentice Engineer

I plan on taking up piracy. I've got a large ship in the works perfect for piracy.

3. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

I love the idea of real piracy. Ya know, the good ol' "Hey, if you don't surrender x amount of goods/currency, I'ma kill you." and actually follow through with that threat. The only problem is that in most games that allow or support some kind of "piracy," it just ends up being a contest of who can grief someone the most.

I'm curious and excited to see what this community turns it into, though I remain a skeptic.

4. XOIIO Apprentice Engineer

Agreed.

5. Skeloton Master Engineer

RolePlaying servers will definitely be having this, they'll probably have some form of Enforcers to deal with them.

I remember playing some form of Cops and Robbers in Metal Gear Online. It was interesting and fun considering the game mechanics involved.

6. Gentry Senior Engineer

Yup. I've made a series of small 'large' ships built for speed and cheapness so zoom around the sector looking for potential targets.

I'm just waiting for the game to get more developed so I can start revising them into something practical.

[​IMG]

7. XOIIO Apprentice Engineer

whoa, awesome skybox

8. Gentry Senior Engineer

That is not real piracy. That is mythical piracy from works of fiction.

Piracy is the acquisition of goods through force. Asking for surrender rarely comes into it - the pirates would simply attack and kill a target until they gave up and surrendered as a last ditch hope to survive, which wasn't always honored. Unless you're thinking of modern day piracy, but that is different because its the crew which are the 'goods' to extort money from. The ship is already insured against theft so its not the biggest lost to the company.

Also the problem with video game piracy is that the victims very rarely comply because there is very little reason to do so. It doesn't matter if they are killed, and losing the ship is the biggest loss and that is going to happen anyway so they'll rather die than give it to someone who's just 'griefed' them.

I fully intend never to ask anyone to surrender when in this game. I'm going to mission kill their ship outright, and kill any survivors. Then steal what is left.

That is real piracy.

Sure if they offer to dump their cargo and do so immediately I might consider just grabbing the cargo with the landing gears I have on my ships for carrying spoils. But not because I'm honoring any 'pirate code', but rather because its the quickest end to the engagement so I can gtfo before his friends get here.

But I guess I agree that I want real piracy, in the manner that its actually a real way to acquire goods. Rather than the Eve Online killboard farming 'piracy'.

9. paswert Junior Engineer

Ship seems more borg than pirate, pirates should have red lighting.

In other news this would not be good for PasCO as we are a haulage company, and you are the ones forcing us to build aweso...I mean Armed, dangerous and slightly illegal ships. Also we may be making our own police force

[​IMG]

10. paswert Junior Engineer

Modern piracy IS real piracy, as it is happening, therefore it is real.

11. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

I was gonna counter your usual negativity but you kinda have a point.
    Ever since my brain connected the machine gun, the chest-high walls and doors together I realised how I'd turn to piracy/mischief really quickly.

I wouldn't communicate with the owner from the OUTSIDE of the ship? How embarrassing if they actually defend themselves. You storm a ship, board it, take out their medbay if they have one, THEN communicate if you want to.. even then communication is mechanically 'pointless' unless Secure Cargo Crates (tm) can be given access codes that destroys the contents if entered wrong a few times.

The ONLY reason I would communicate when Yarghing around is if there was something in their brain that I needed, or some magical 'only the owner can open this' kinda crap, which can be bypassed with explosives anyway.

So Yes, I would become a pirate/thief/pest very quickly if I got tired with mining. If I was simply bored I might communicate after hijacking the ship, for fun. But if I just wanted their stuff now, no need for words unless mechanically incentivised ;)

tldr; Yargh me harties! only secret codes keep captains alive

12. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

All definitely good points. I suppose when I think of "piracy" I am actually thinking more of "privateering/free trade." I'm not in it to kill people and take their stuff, I'm in it to cheaply acquire goods to make a profit on.

13. Grim Apprentice Engineer

I'm in it to kill. I'd rather board their ship, take out their medbay/s and kill them. Take the entire thing seems to be worth more, no?

14. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

You and probably about 80% of the people here. I am not a typical gamer, and apparently not a typical person. Even if I am role-playing a criminal, I have a hard time tickling the grief line.

15. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Im curious how will we know, if ship have ores/money on board or not without sceners, meybe we can us mineral detector but:

Will it show you number of ores and kind of ores ?
    How long range will it have + time before it show you some results/ information
    Will it show you exactly where is it placed on enemy ship so you will not hit it ?

Random atack every ship can be not worth effort, until there will stay in space some % of resources floatin aroun for me to colect or ores from destroyed conteiners and ship parts.

+ yea boarding trade ships and killing crew sound like best way for pirates :rof:

16. Gentry Senior Engineer

I'm talking about the piracy schima. So you're wrong.

17. Lockerd Apprentice Engineer

Look Up Indonesian Piracy and you'll find out it's almost the same as mythical...actually quite the same as the run of Edward Teach. only real difference now is the sheer amount of corruption in both the local and sideline enforcement, Trade ships dread going through the area because of the sheer amount of piracy, and their brutality.

At least twenty five U.S. trade ships alone were hijacked successfully last year, most cases hostages were long dead. And If people think the Navy would take action, they're wrong those areas are constantly disputed into bureaucracy and who is allowed to act, this doesn't help when there are port authorities allowing pirates to use their uniforms and ships, or even having pirates in the law enforcement around there, they know the protocols and signals, so taking a ship would be easy to do if the ship crew believes they are the law enforcement.

though that is modern piracy, space piracy would be more like the revolutionary times with the priveteers going into buisness for themselves in the Caribbean, or on the east coast of the U.S. with Edward Teach, and his tenacity, skill and brutality.

18. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

For me it's a matter of entertainment vs function.
    If for some reason I'm invested in needing the ship or resources infront of me and don't have much time to do it, then it becomes a tactical matter of efficiency and 'enemy-cannot-win' strategies.
    Though that kind of detachment is only Easy when your dealing with an unknown, uncaring public. If you know the guy's name and you'll see him online again tomorrow... it's hard to threaten him and keep a clean mind

If entertainment is what I'm looking for, I'll happily sit behind a hull wall for 20mins watching a player not-see me rather than reveal my existence for a cheap kill. For sport I imagine I'll want the ship, whole and intact. Whether it's promises, lies, airlock mishaps, gradual de-maintenance of the systems or misuse of shipwide communications, I want brains to be twitching somewhere across the interwebs. Unconventional Combat :p

19. ShaggyAMT Apprentice Engineer

I'm going with the term Guerrillas. I am not interested in capital ship slug fests or even maintaining a large fleet of capital ships. I have an armored carrier "mothership" and a large amount of varied strike craft and some salvage/mining/transport vessels. I have developed tactics and designed specialized ships for instigating asymmetrical engagements. I will not engage your cruiser or even your space station in a traditional sense. You will know I was around when your mining team seems to be missing a few transports, or when your scout wing detects unknown mining activity before vanishing, then miraculously shows up careening through your ship yard with no pilots, causing panic and confusion. The idea is that I'll keep you too focused on your defense/perimeter to mount any kind of search and destroy mission.

20. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

Yarr spehc pirates.

I hope there are a fair number of pirates so I can engage in anti-piracy roles. CUE-DEF to the rescue!

21. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

I sincerely hope we collide in the future, facing the same direction

22. damoran Junior Engineer

They all think they're hard until they're on the other side of this situation.

It's all interesting however, sort of excited about the idea of pirates vs police. Although I'd be surprised if it doesn't devolve into just faction warfare.

23. Gentry Senior Engineer

I have absolutely no qualms with killing other players and undoing hours, or days worth of effort.

I do it all the time in games like DayZ and Eve Online. So far in the DayZ standalone, me and a couple of buddies have killed 87 other players, and died like only four times because we mostly ambush. Its just the nature of the game.

When someone dedicated a lot of time and effort into building something, say a really cool spaceship. I don't think: -

"oh wow nice one mate I can see you put a lot of time and effort into this I'm going to leave you alone and let you enjoy the fruits of your labour"

I think

"oh wow nice one mate I can see you put a lot of time and effort into this - Challenge Accepted"

But saying all this I do think I'll play on less hostile servers as well, simply because I want to see larger cooperative endeavors too. Like see an entire mining operation right the way down to foremen, to haulers, to producers and traders to building huge industrial complexes and stuff and with maybe some semi-staged factional warfare. Because that'll be pretty neat too.

24. Guest

I was planning to be a fairly peaceful player but this thread has shown me there are much more pirates than I initially thought there would be. Time to add more turrets.

25. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

I hope turrets get some interesting controls, hacking into them from a door panel would be awesome :D

26. ShaggyAMT Apprentice Engineer

You're assuming that I'll engage you directly and be in range of your turrets. ;)

27. tcezar Trainee Engineer

is the natural human being doing things 'morally questionable' as piracy
    (or just being a troll destroying ships of friends for fun)

even more in the game, where there is no punishment that affect you in real life

so, be prepared to fight
    it will be fun

28. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

I'm not saying it's wrong in a game, and obviously there are different personalities in the world.
    I just find it interesting that the only thing stopping some people from outright killing other people is fear of punishment :)

I am all for damaging/disabling your ship, taking all your cargo, fuel, material, etc...and leaving you to drift. But I see no reason in killing you because maybe you are weaker than me and it pleases me.

29. Gentry Senior Engineer

Its not like that though.

It happens because humans can understand logic and mathematics.

"Do unto the other fellow as he would do unto you and do it first."

Its all very simple Game Theory, and its all rather interesting.

You're taking a personal, arbitrary risk with keeping something hostile to you close and undealt with.

30. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

A lot of what I look forward to in this isn't me alone, causing chaos. But hopefully being a part of something larger, with chaos as a nice distraction :D

No idea what larger things I'll find yet

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.