Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Who already plans to take up piracy?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by meadman1, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Gentry Senior Engineer

I won't be 'pirating' alone.

2. meadman1 Apprentice Engineer

I see pirates being in small groups forming small factions. The reason being is that 'piracy' gameplay will involve those who do very little mining and fight using guerilla warfare for materials they can use to better arm their ships. Captured ships would make up most of the pirate fleet. This kind of gameplay can only be supported long term if there are a small amount of pirates, or else the resources pirates rely on (other people's ships/ores/hard work) will be used up. At that point, pirates would have to mine and trade just like any other faction to support their economy.

Pirates = surviving off of plundering the fruits of other people's labor.

3. tcezar Trainee Engineer

You got the point

Based on it , 'real' Piracy, only will take effect, on servers with 'companies' of players working together, making trade routes etc.

Attacking single small ships for piracy, it's just an excuse for griefing (because on balance gain / loss, I don't know would be worth it)

4. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

I have beter idea, i will creat religious sect :rof:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Dont forget pay donations and enlightenment will come itself :rof:

, or some kind of resistance group ?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    We will see what will work best in game :rof: , if you need organized big groups of people, or one player with big ship and automated weapons will do the same.

5. Stiletto Apprentice Engineer

Everyone wants to be a Pirate! :D

*Then there won't be any non-pirate ships to raid, you silly pirates!

6. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Yea, we can take diferent camuflage, but we are all wolfs :rof: ( call it piracy, crusade, law, justice or not )

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

With all the would be pirates lining up and signing the guest book publicly, frankly I'm thinking this looks like an ideal environment for taking up bounty hunting. :3

Aiming carefully so not to destroy the cargo containers? Screw that. I get paid either way. Reposessed pirate swag is just bonus pay. Even a bit of police work seems like it could be fun. Read them all the rights they don't have out in free space. Apply a bit of 'maximum appropriate force'. Red and blues flashing. All that.

As long as it's a "piracy/open warfare is allowed" competitive server, all seems like good fun.

I also have this very silly space hobo idea I want to try and play out. Claiming a wreck of a ship, and trying to patch up the holes enough to make it "liveable", and then work on turning it into a flying hobo trolley made of jagged metal and poorly laid out exposed systems. Merge it into other wrecks using landing gear, and just katamari around the place until some bastard steals my trolley/ball of scrap. Then it goes all "Space Hobo's Revenge:The Movie". I'm sure you've all seen that one...

Blah blah blah...

8. lostami Trainee Engineer

As of this question needed to be asked... We all are!

9. meadman1 Apprentice Engineer

I am now starting a space hobo faction for those who are interested lol awesome idea

10. BeerTruckDriver Trainee Engineer

It should be far to big to fit into the hangar, but should do so nevertheless.

11. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Space Hobos are also good for multiclassing into Space Squatters. Who excel in infiltrating the nooks and crannies, and rarely visited miscellaneous engine compartments of larger ships, and setting up tiny pressurised tents, with bed bolls, bean cans and the like. They cook their scavenged food stuffs on the side of hot thruster nozzles when you're not looking.

"Oh sorry man, I din't think anyone lived here. This your ship?"

12. Caesar15 Apprentice Engineer

I am not sure what my reaction would be if one of my engine rooms tore off and started flying away.

13. K^2 Apprentice Engineer

In terms of Game Theory, what we are seeing in many open-world games these days is the equivalent of Prisoner's Dilemma. Given lack of sufficiently horrible negative outcome, these do tend to devolve to their Nash Equilibrium state. Which is stab the other guy before he stabs you.

However, given sufficiently bad outcome, optimal strategy changes to one that gives the other party a chance. There are actually AI competitions for Prisoner's Dilemma, and agents that do, conditionally, trust the partner, and even occasionally give them second chances, are the ones that perform the best.

Same thing in society. Because the Nash Equilibrium is basically everyone being dead, we end up discouraging backstabbing of any sort in many different ways. Through religion, morals, and laws, we make Pareto optimal state the more stable one.

We could achieve that in game world as well. But players have to feel like they really losing something when they die, and it would probably help if some players organize outside of the game to create some sort of order in the game.

That said, piracy in the game is inevitable. And it probably wouldn't be fun otherwise. But it would suck if everyone is just pirates and griefers. That's what we should be trying to avoid. And yeah, throwing some Game Theory at it will help. Just don't get stuck on basic examples of how everything in GT sucks. Look at the more serious research that looks into how you fix it.

14. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

:woot: I can't wait to make someone's engines mutiny, that's an awesome idea

15. Caesar15 Apprentice Engineer

1. Record it

2. Don't do it to me

3. ??????

4. Enjoy your new ship

16. XPMatt Trainee Engineer

All of this depends heavily on how death is dealt with in this game...which we don't yet. If there's some risk involved, folks might be a bit more conservative with their lives and less prone to "Oh, look, another being. Let's engage them in hopes of gaining a bunch a bunch of ores, can't lose anything, right?" Because of this, I hope the Devs really consider an actually penalty to death...Not sure what, but it would certainly make for a more realistic and interesting gameplay. Of course, some servers could have a quick re-spawn time like I think most people here are envisioning.

17. extraammo Senior Engineer

I feel like pirates wouldn't make sense on a single server. It usually implies that there is a large majority of civil players making up an already organized economical system. If the amount of pirates is close to the number of non-pirates, what you really have is just another faction.
    Now, if there is some sort of continuous universe and thousands of players can be in at the same time, then pirates in small numbers make sense. But unless there is some sort of organized law, which will only occur if enough forces work together to support it, there will not be any sort of fun piracy. It will just be ffa with a few groups of people who agree not to shoot each other.
    I honestly think that if a lot of people try to be pirates (read jerks that pretend to follow some sort of personal guideline to how they be a jerk) there will just be a bunch of jerks shooting each other and it won't be that fun for anyone. It will just be a race to be the strongest jerk.

18. zwedizhfizh Trainee Engineer

I have started a piracy-themed alliance. If anyone would like to join, it's here. We are also on the Alliances wiki page. I'm open to suggestions about ops and such, how to make this work and whatnot.

19. Athalan Trainee Engineer

20. Gentry Senior Engineer

there is no AI in this game.

21. extraammo Senior Engineer

At this point, calling yourself a pirate is kind of useless. If you are on a server where random looting isn't against the rules, then everyone will be doing the same thing minus a few people working together. If you are on a server where it is against the rules, you will just be banned.
    If you call your faction a pirate faction, it is just a way of saying you have no allegiance to other factions... and maybe try to sound tough :p.

22. Gentry Senior Engineer

Pirate: a person who attacks and robs ships.
    <div style="color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 15.600000381469727px; display: inline;" data-dobid="dfn">
    It really isn't any more complicated than that extraammo
    </div>

23. Grim Apprentice Engineer

extraammo pls

People are going to steal from and kill each other, regardless of what kind of server it is. Unless there are some special things involved.

24. extraammo Senior Engineer

My point is that pirates are known by:
    "Piracy or pirating is the name of a specific crime under customary international law and also the name of a number of crimes under the municipal law of a number of States."

Therefore it's hard to have non-bannable piracy since it requires some sort of organized law distinct from server rules. Or in other words, it's hard to have pirates without griefers. Unless it's an RP server I guess, but then you can have like only one pirate for it to be reasonable.

25. Shiliski Apprentice Engineer

There be only one pirate allowed, ya say?

Guess I'll be killin' off the rest, then. Yarr!

26. Gentry Senior Engineer

this is pedantic to the absurd.

No.

you don't have to violate ~server rules~ to be a pirate. Just attack and rob other players as a career/gameplay choice.

Its as simple as that.

27. Leon026 Apprentice Engineer

Pirate is such a negative word. I prefer being referred to as a security consultant for economic and strategic objectives.

28. TheFurNinja Apprentice Engineer

That sounds alot like a mercenary to me...

29. Duhya Trainee Engineer

Yeah. I prefer to call myself a mailman.

30. TheFurNinja Apprentice Engineer

:rof:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.