Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Who already plans to take up piracy?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by meadman1, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

You sound dangerously close to an Operator of Security Interests
    Until the magical friendly fire option is enabled my piracy has been borrowing/copying cool ships I see, but it lacks the flavour of stealing something precious or neutralising a threat.

2. extraammo Senior Engineer

But then you get banned and blacklisted. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? If you want to RP as a pirate, you have to do it on an RP server that allows that.
    Like, I get that being a pirate sounds cool, but it is impractical to make that your "career." It's not an MMORPG after all. I could see RP servers but they will probably have limited role assignments. Being a pirate makes sense as a part of an organized game, sort of like being "It" in a game of tag. But if everyone joins every game and calls themselves "It" and starts chasing people, it's pointless.

All I'm trying to say is, if a bunch of people try to be pirates all the time, they will just end up being real life jerks.

3. Gentry Senior Engineer

can you show me on the doll where the pirate touched your goods extraamo

any non-carebear server which doesn't restrict pvp, you can pirate to your hearts content.

4. tcezar Trainee Engineer

Gentry, stop trying shove your opinion in the face of others as if it were an absolute truth
    Talking about SE online, extraamo got the point

REAL piracy = RP server
    "Piracy" on normal server = It's just an Agressive pvp faction/player

5. extraammo Senior Engineer

I think you are proving my point. By calling yourself a pirate by default you are saying to everyone online, "If I can get away with it, I'll wreck your stuff." You aren't going to earn any respect if you do that.
    The best part is that everyone who wants to be defined as a pirate will funnel to the servers that have no moderation. As a pirate, you will most likely only play with pirates since there won't be a lot of places to play after all the pirates get blacklisted from most of the servers.

6. Gentry Senior Engineer

I don't care

If I can get away with it, I'm stealing yo shiz

call me a pirate or not, its happening, its not about respect

7. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

Funny. Just because one is calling themselves a Pirate doesn't actually mean they will be destroying someone else's stuff per se. Yes it will be confined to pvp / RP servers for the most part as on a creative/construction server it would be merely asshattery. No kidding. Here is your cookie Captain Obvious. If you pay attention to Gentry's accumulated posts throughout the forums it is best to respond to his more intelligent comments and ignore the rest. Piracy and trolling are his big focal points. So he wont play on the creative server with your buddies. But if you get on a server where he hunts and there is PvP or RP hey you've been warned that is how he plays. Mine some rare ore and hire some in game mercs to watch your junk and blast him out of the aether.

---- This is from a man who's real life nickname is Pirate................ just saying.

8. Grim Apprentice Engineer

That is how you do it. For your most unrespected views, I dub thee Ser Gentry.

9. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

In the end . . . there can be only one . . . . . . . . .

10. extraammo Senior Engineer

That's my point though. If you want to be a pirate primarily (like how there is a pirate faction and all the people who think it's cool to be a pirate) you won't have very many places to play as one and all the pirates who aren't in rp servers will get grouped together.

11. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

This debate is circular. You argue that he will find no where to play, but then present exactly those places where he will be able to play exactly as he describes. You are countering your own argument.

12. Gentry Senior Engineer

its a sandbox game

the only places I won't be welcome would be creative and carebear RP servers. Stop thinking that pirating is a RP game style, it really really really isn't.

13. TheFurNinja Apprentice Engineer

I have to agree here, that pirating isnt some sort of romanticized charecter. Its a real thing.
    Pirate: A person who takes part of taking other peoples ships and keeping them or selling them off for profit.
    Also can keep people hostage for profit. ETC.
    AKA: Space Criminal :D

On a side note: You guys really need to watch the tone of your guys posts. The reason why this is a flame war is becuase of your guys blatant "THIS IS IT" type tones. You need not to say "This is the truth!" to your "debate opponent". You need to counter their every move till they admit you are right...or you find middle ground.

14. Rity Apprentice Engineer

I wouldn't mind aggressive piracy( Just stealing and destroying), as long as there is some server side or game side way of protecting things when you get off the game. I wouldnt prefer people do that though. holding hostage and stealing supplies seems more fun.

15. extraammo Senior Engineer

You are missing my point though... even on survival servers, they will have rules against destructive behavior.
    Minecraft had the same issue. Servers that allowed pvp still had restrictions and pure non-managed servers had everyone being aggressive.
    My point is, the pirate/citizen ratio will be much higher than what is realistic to the pirate lifestyle. And my reasons are that your prey will take refuge in managed servers with rules against piracy. You will most likely just be having battles with other pirates.
    It's very simple. If your goal is to live off other people's work, they will find ways to keep you out. You will be left with your own kind and I don't think it will be the kind of fun you are expecting.

16. Gentry Senior Engineer

any server which lets you attack another player (almost all of them)

you can pirate

that is the bottom line

unless you're prepared to maintain that we have an entire community of carebears. Which we don't if you even looked at the rhetoric and schima most people have with regards to MP.

17. PLPM Junior Engineer

So what stops everyone from being pirates?

18. Gentry Senior Engineer

Maybe they want to do something else

19. Skeloton Master Engineer

Which then by your standards become carebears.

20. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

So on a related note, has anyone tested whether or not Heavy Armor stops a concentrated Carebear Stare? Or do we need a new suggestion thread for a Carebear Stare Shield block for pirate ships?

21. Skeloton Master Engineer

Tried and Tested. Its exactly like light armour.

22. tcezar Trainee Engineer

Gentry's vision of perfect piracy

[​IMG]

23. Gentry Senior Engineer

Why?

There are more things to do in a sandbox than pirate other players. It doesn't make them carebears.

Carebears are the ones who don't want any genuine sandbox gameplay.

24. Gentry Senior Engineer

This is pretty much it

25. Skeloton Master Engineer

Even the fact that little knife looks more like a sex toy?

Well its just you were (from my perspective) painting a picture that anyone who doesn't like Darwinism survival of the fittest ideals is a carebear.

26. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

Gentry,
    I never took you for a "purplely hot pink" outfit sort of guy though. I figured more Michael Jackson white with glittering sparkly jewels and bling bling.
    But the dreads though, spot on.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the "sex toy sword" as Skeloton pointed out. Then again, maybe the captive is a woman. You never know whats under the suit in Space Engineers!

27. Gentry Senior Engineer

you can survive in a sandbox in many ways

28. Skeloton Master Engineer

God we're gonna get a string of Space Engineers erotic art now, aren't we? wasn't Mass Effects bad enough.

29. tcezar Trainee Engineer

hahaha calm down guys

It was only a healthy joke to relax a little

fact is, every one will play the way that want, no matter how much we discuss here

30. extraammo Senior Engineer

I think I understand Gentry very well now. He's a bully.

I personally like the idea of low to zero admin intervention in servers. As long as their is no cheating, I think it should be up to the players how they play. However, people like Gentry are the reason servers like that are rare. It has nothing to do with being "carebears" but that some people find enjoyment out of provoked or organized conflict versus conflict by default. People who create conflict as their sole source of entertainment are lame.
    I have no respect for you Gentry but I look forward to meeting you in SE.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.