Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Why do people destroy others creations?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by iRobLiquorStores, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. iRobLiquorStores Trainee Engineer

Are we evolving backwards all the way to toddlerism? What is the point of spam deleting parts off someones ship? I understand if its war but when someone is building something you can't just start throwing missiles at it or deleting blocks :/

Is it worth making a list of these people? They can just change their username though...

2. Rowall Trainee Engineer

I wouldn't do that unless the ship was made for combat. I am actually having trouble find a multiplayer game to join, so I haven't had the opportunity.

3. iRobLiquorStores Trainee Engineer

You probably dont, all the servers are either unbearably laggy, or filled with people like this. So your best bet would be to play with friends or in a group /invite only type of thing :L

4. Rowall Trainee Engineer

Would you like to do that?

5. iRobLiquorStores Trainee Engineer

Yeah, it would be nice to get a group of trusted people together and just build / do stuff.

6. Rowall Trainee Engineer

My Steam name is Miller. Send me a message or invite and we can enjoy the game without pirates. haha

7. lucadena Apprentice Engineer

I agree for the list of unwanted people.
    and I am really disappointed for being still unable to find a server without griefers

8. Rowall Trainee Engineer

You're welcome to add me too. I'd like to find people interested in multiplayer.

9. Rowall Trainee Engineer

A link to my profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/usafageranger/

10. toxi Apprentice Engineer

because:

lupus est homo homini, non homo, quom qualis sit non novit.
    (Plautus' Asinaria (195 BC))

or in modern words: because ppl are assholes.

hope with whitelists, this all becomes better

11. Rowall Trainee Engineer

Haha. I see that you have made a valid point. I can imagine that my lack of skill in flying space-craft could cause an accidental collision.

12. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

All my online games are for people to just blow the crap out of whatever is in there, because seriously expecting no one to grief at this early stage of alpha in the game is a little short sighted.
    Play alone for no griefers or friends only.

13. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I'll admit I was one of those people during the first 2 days after multiplayer got added, but at the time that was mainly to see how MP held up with a crap-load of destruction (it didn't). Any other "fun" after that was on a private server with a friend, since we could build bigger ships there in peace.

The only time i "grief" now is if I see a wall-o-guns ship flying around shooting at anything that happens to be made of armor. I figured those are fair-game, deleting their guns, cockpit or thrusters to give them a hint that griefing isn't ok. So far, this has started to work, quite a few end up halting their random missile crusade to actually build something (or quit)... but there is always those that will keep spawning a new copy regardless, because they are so intent on destroying everything. The option to disable weapons has sort of changed this now though, but people just ram your work instead.

It doesn't help of course when the admin themselves acts normal, then as soon as you start building something bigger than a fighter, they act like they own it and start planting warheads all over it.

Griefing in SE comes down to 3 words at the moment... "because they can". If we had a way to turn destruction off in MP and some form of ship editing permissions, the only thing left for griefers would be making giant walls of armor, but at least that can't damage anybodies work.

14. Qestroy Trainee Engineer

Welcome, sir, to the Internet!

15. Carrion Senior Engineer

Why? honestly you hit the nail on the head. its like a toddler. no rules or risk of being punished and they will destroy everything they can and do whatever they like.

its griefing, plain and simple. some call it "piracy" some call it combat, but at then end of the day the construction aspects of the game are ignored as that takes effort and creativity but slapping a bunch of warheads onto somone else s work is quick and easy instant "fun".

i say "fun" because its instant gratification with no thought or effort on the part of the people doing it and once it is done its a hollow fun that needs repeating over and over and in increasing severity to get it again.

its much like the aimboters and hack users in FPS games. i dont mind being shot or losing. its a part of the game. i can accept the negative with the positive. but honestly i have stoped playing soem games because of cheating scumbags who use aimbots, wallhacks, and everything under the sun to win at all costs. it ruins the whole experiance of the game for other people for them to get a quick jolly.

creating something in a game especially something complex takes hours or even days to do and honestly for some reason gamers as a whole just cant seem to have the mentality to spend the time to do much more than make a basic wall of death.

its one of the reasons i only go into private games with people i know. because i can trust them to not be an asshat and destroy things which i have spent many hours building

16. Erynn Trainee Engineer

It's a physics engine that allows very impressive damage modeling. Expecting people to not enjoy the use of that damage modeling defeats the whole purpose.....

In short,........ people like to see things blow up. X3

17. Spaceballs Trainee Engineer

Why?.. Because they can.

If you're doing a big group build make a private game it's that simple. You can't start a public game especially with weapons and copy/paste enabled and just expect that everyone will play nice, that's a bit naive.

I'll admit I had some fun with crashing stuff, but if you build something on a public server and don't have a backup that's your fault. Until there is proper system in place for protection of builds just expect that anything on a public server will likely be destroyed.

18. extraammo Senior Engineer

Ah, it's the victims fault. See, the problem isn't that people aren't taking some sort of precautions that they should. The problem is that griefing overrides other styles of play. It's lazy, inconsiderate, and childish. Rather than saying that people should have to hide away, why not support the abolition of selfish behavior towards others?

19. iRobLiquorStores Trainee Engineer

I guess I'd need a certain mentality to think destroying something someone else has made to be 'fun'. But for now I guess its just private servers only.
    @Rowall I added you on steam, hopefully we can get a nice group going. Anyone else can add my steam aswell, its the same name as here iRobLiquorStores

20. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

In this case, its victims fault :rof: you was not prepared for multiplayer :p

21. Spaceballs Trainee Engineer

Yes, it is the victims fault. There are ways to protect online builds even this early into development, there is no excuse not to use them. Make you game private and only invite people you trust.

Welcome to online gaming. Griefing exists in every online game, and until there is way to properly set permissions and define protected regions and objects it will always be an issue in SE. I'm sure these tools will be in place eventually but for now I guess you just have no choice but to "have to hide away" if you want to collaborate

It's still early alpha you know.

Yes. Yes it is, and some people really really enjoy it.

Because I'm not naive enough to think that the abolition of selfish behavior towards others is possible ESPECIALLY in an online game, and I wont waste my time. It's like saying, hey, everyone on planet earth, please be nice...okay?...and then we have world peace...

lol wow

22. Ash87 Senior Engineer

That really isn't at All what he said.

The tools are in place so that people can avoid dealing with griefers. White-listing will help more, but as is, if someone is causing a problem, boot them. You will never, abolish people trolling you. There is no way to effectively solve that issue, because humanity is full of creative and ingenious people, all of who want to somehow screw you over and laugh. Asking the devs to design systems that are grief proof, is silly. As long as there are two people, and they can interact in any way, shape, or form... there will be griefing.

If you want to abolish selfish behavior, go into elementary education.

23. kai769 Trainee Engineer

when we get survival mode then it wont be so bad, and we need nameplates to see who is griefing so we can kick and ban them,

once people start getting banned from servers then they will stop being such dicks, hopefully

24. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Its victims faul... for example: victim take alone short cut throught gheto at midle of night to save 5 min, she had gold rings, nackles, atc... and went in this kind of street
    [​IMG]
    Without weapon, basic cqc technics or anythink and next day was found killed. ( totaly not victims faul right ? ) meybe she did believe like you, all this people have good nature... same like you did in multiplayer server... when you didnt make copy of world and didnt set world parameters...

25. toxi Apprentice Engineer

those without skill, do grief.

@satur ... thats 3. world logic ... it might be true in congo, uganda or the USA .. but not in developed countries, where the violent monopoly is in the hand of the state.

26. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

I can assure you, that you will find this kind of street in every big city in europe... ( ok i went litl over board with killing, but they will probably try steal somethink from you or at least beg for money/cigaretes :D ) and im from czech, was many times in germany, austria, england, atc... ( picking from beter side), but i did still meet this kind of streets soo... if you call them 3. world countrys... but its off-topic. ( my point was evade problem before you get in sytuation where you can get in problems / will not creat server without copy and basic setting if i dont want get all destroyed + auto save :rof: )

27. Icarus Trainee Engineer

To answer the topic question, because many like to do that. Many, may-be a (small) majority of the humans, have a fascination for destroying, violence and war. Because of that are violence and fighting important game element(s) in many (the most) computer games.

28. Shroudeye Trainee Engineer

I think this summarizes the entire thing. The Multiplayer portion has a lot of ground to cover, in regards of anti-griefing.

By the way, my Steam name is also "Shroudeye", and I've got a real-world degree in architecture. (Couldn't finish much projects for SE though, mostly because of the schoolwork.)

29. toxi Apprentice Engineer

well ... austria has about 0.6 /100 000, cz about 1/ 100 000 ... in the usa its 6.4 / 100 000 (btw: the same rate as in india)

www.bit.ly/1gSPK7S

5 times more often. that means it takes about 5 times longer to get killed in the EU ... the reason is the same reason like in every other undeveloped nation: a weak state and very mighty (war)lords ... thats sad .. but its how they like it over there. perhaps they get the jump to democracy ... i really wish them luck.

however ... i guess this whole stuff is solved as soon as you can assign yourself to a ship ... and alow (or nor) editing for other ppl.

30. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Thats not my point...My point was when you go in bad places bad thinks happen and its out of statistic, becose no one normal go in this places, like when you have almost all murders/criminality in one city on one place and nerby area. ( beter evade this places and you will not have problems :D )

Try find topics about wepons/law for defender X criminality: you will find out all countrys where law protect defender and alowe cary weapons numbers of criminal activitis go down. ( check England for example, they did forbide people cary weapons and result was disaster ) I dont like american way of law, but i would like some parts. In my country when some one want atack you with knife you are not alowed us gun, becose it will be not adaquate defence us gun against knife and in the end you can end in jail for self defence ( what is beter now ? get killed or defend your self ? or do state except me cary knife + gun at same time to have all time adequate defence agains atacker ? :rof: )

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.