Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Why does my reactor explode when I turn my ship on?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Gravity, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Gravity Trainee Engineer

I created a small ship with a large reactor and 20 small thrusters and 2 large thrusters. It has 9 mining drills on the front, and 1 gyroscope. Whenever I turn the ship on, the reactor explodes and takes damage. I can't figure out why it keeps exploding. I am not using more than my available power. Is there something I'm missing?

2. vahaala Trainee Engineer

Probably thruster damage. Did you turned this on/leaved this on? If yes, try moving reactor away from thrusters, or add a layer or two of heavy armor.

3. PillowTalk420 Trainee Engineer

Is thruster damage on, with any thrusters exhaust facing the reactor?

4. Gravity Trainee Engineer

What is the distance that thrusters do damage to blocks? How far away should I put my reactor from the thrusters?

5. kerenskylegacy Apprentice Engineer

Internal thrusters? *giggles*

6. Neouni Apprentice Engineer

5 empty blocks of space for a small thruster I believe

Heavy armor reflects damage back to thruster, making it blow up

7. OneAmongOthers Apprentice Engineer

Wow the space is that large?

8. Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

Pro tip: firing jets of hot plasma at unstable fission reactors is generally not a good idea.

9. ciditi Trainee Engineer

From what I can tell, reactors don't explode from using more than the available power. Trying to use more than the available power only causes the thrusters to be less responsive/powerful.

The reactor must be taking damage, it doesn't seem to take much. Check your thruster placement as previously mentioned, but also be aware that it seems there is some 'wash' damage spreading out horizontally from the nozzle of the thruster, not just straight back.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.