Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Why don't we see significant increase in single core performance of CPUs?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Thales M., Jul 26, 2018.

1. Thales M. Junior Engineer

I watched this a year ago, today is not different. Actually worse because of CPU vulnerabilities such as Spectre and Meltdown.

Some games like strategy or creative design/building games require high single core performance from CPUs whether it allocates 1 of its cores ore more. In the last 10 years, single core performance improvement is probably around 50% at best. 50% for 10 years is very bad compared to GPU performance increase or previous CPU performance increase. Is this going to change in the near future? Because most games I play (Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers, Kerbal Space Program, Totalwar games, Paradox games...etc) all have bottleneck on CPU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. noname42 Trainee Engineer

The way it used to work is increase clock speeds and shrinking the semiconductor size. In both cases physical limits have been reached and prevent any significant improvement. Without a completely revolutionary technology the only major change we can expect in the next year is more cores, which is why multithreaded programming is as important as never before.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thales M. Junior Engineer

This will be a very late answer but this issue never gets old. So, if semiconductor size is hard to shrink now, why don't we see bigger cpus? If you can't shrink the semiconductor size to fit more of them in same volume, why not increase the cpu size/volume?

4. noname42 Trainee Engineer

You don't shrink the semiconductor size just to fit more stuff in. The main benefit is that you have shorter distances which means you need less volts to push through the signals which results in lower power consuption and heat production. As a result you can increase the frequencies without overheating. Making bigger CPUs would only increase the distances and make it worse. However bigger CPUs are being made to fit more cores in (see Threadripper, Core i9 or many server chips) but there's also a limitation to that because cores need to quickly communicate as well.
    (This is all very simplified, mainly because I don't know much more about semiconductor production myself)

5. Badwolfvapor Trainee Engineer

I'd like to see at least dedicated servers use multi threaded processing to handle the load better.

SE, and GarrysMod both are my goto free time games have issues in multiplayer servers because of this issue.

Understandably the game itself having been designed and coded for single cores; would take years to over haul for multi threaded processing. But the server being smaller and text based could be done and a much shorter time period.

6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

7. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

This explains the bottleneck in single core performance.