Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Why exactly does multiplayer perform so badly on slower connections, and can anything be done about

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by jfull, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jfull Trainee Engineer

I am currently using an internet connection with a download speed of about 3MB/s, and while I understand that this is definitely slower than average, I am able to use it for many multiplayer games (including minecraft, which is superficially similar to SE) as well as streaming HD video, and I only occasionally get lag in those situations.

With Space Engineers, however, I have found multiplayer to be completely unplayable, both when joining friend's worlds and dedicated servers. This really disappoints me, because multiplayer was the main thing that motivated me to purchase this game, and I just don't get much enjoyment out of building alone.

What I am wondering is what exactly makes Space Engineers so connection-intensive? Why does so much information need to be sent for multiplayer in this game, while it doesn't in most other games (even Minecraft)?
    Also, do we know if the Devs have plans to optimize multiplayer in the near future? Is it even possible?

2. squisher Trainee Engineer

I think this boils down to a "fix netcode pl0x" post. They're working on it.

3. delabu Apprentice Engineer

<Insert First World Problem Meme Here>

Hahahahahah, gasp gasp, hahahahahaha.

4. DocMop Junior Engineer

Although SE really is an bandwidth hog. Download speed is only a minor factor for the connection quality in multi-player games. Much more important is the ping time. That's the time it takes for you to send a package to the server and receive an answer.

5. jfull Trainee Engineer

I get pings of about 50 or less (at least on the servers I try to connect to)

While playing other games, I sometimes get lag spikes where my ping shoots up to obscenely high values, but it usually comes back down in time.

6. DocMop Junior Engineer

After some playing around with the dedicated server I can say that some problems, like the problem that you can not interact with NPC ships, have nothing to do with bandwidth or ping. I you, for example, get a lot of rubber-banding, that's either a ping / packet loss issue or you are too far from the centre of the map.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.