Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Why no planets for Direct x9?

Discussion in 'General' started by Joel_pro2, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Joel_pro2 Trainee Engineer

Im very sad, because i was waiting so much to see SE put No Man Sky in a corner when suddenly planets are not compatible with Direct x9 and my computer doesnt support Direct x11.

If it will be, when will devs release planet version for Direct x9?

2. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

DX9 cannot handle Planets. It is not a design choice, it's an imposibility.
    If they could implement DX9 planets i'm sure they would have.
    Personally i blame Havok. I am well aware that Havok has nothing to do with it; i just like blaming Havok.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Joel_pro2 Trainee Engineer

So ppl that dont support DX11 and pay for this game will not play with planets?
    So ppl who pay this game shall get stuck in a space with no planets until they buy a new computer?

4. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Unfortunately, yes.

Unfortunately, yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Harrekin Master Engineer

DirectX9 could have children at this point...

6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

Edit: whatever one's feelings on that may be, i just took a gander at the Steam page and unless i missed something badly the fact that Planets need DX 11 is almost literally the last thing in the description. That needs a changing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bipin Trainee Engineer

While DirectX9 cannot be used with planets, I think that's inconsequential to the actual issue here. If a machine cannot run DirectX11, chances are it could never run planets, even if DirextX9 could be used. From what I've heard, DirectX9 is more taxing on a computer than DirectX11 is for handling the same task. If this is in fact true, than you'd be worse off trying to run the game on DirectX9 with planets if it were an alternative to DirectX11. From my own experience, I've run SE's space/asteroid maps just fine on DX9. The same maps even run a bit smoother on DX11; I have a slightly higher frame rate. With planets though, the lag is horrible, even with DX11 (which tends to work better versus DX9 on non-planet maps).

8. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@Bipin I'm admittedly a complete noob in these regards but from what i've seen the problem with DX9 isn't whether or not it'd be too taxing on the machine but that they had to dig deep in the trickery box to make Planets happen even in DX11, and that some of those features are flatout incompatible with DX9. Don't quote me on that but i'm fairly sure the morphing going on is one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Harrekin Master Engineer

My computer doesn't run planets well, I've accepted this (12fps) and have decided to continue gaming at a decent level I need a new one...

Such is life, no point starting a pity-party about it.

10. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I believe it's because of all the shaders they had to use. DX9 absolutely sucks at handling shaders compared to DX10+ DX9 only allows a single shader to effect a given surface, and that shader has a maximum code size so it can't just be a situational megashader. DX10+ allows multiple and larger shaders which frees developers up to do things that just can't be done in DX9.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bipin Trainee Engineer

No worries, I'm not too well versed in this sort of stuff either. What you've said definitely makes sense though. Judging by what I've experienced with how well DX9/DX11 work on certain maps, I feel like that, even if DX9 could somehow work with planets, it would be awfully laggy - not very optimal.

13. Joel_pro2 Trainee Engineer

7 days to die runs in direct x9 and it runs sweet
    why planets on SE are diferent?

14. Harrekin Master Engineer

Scale.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Captaindan Apprentice Engineer

Never.

16. RayvenQ Moderator

Apples, Oranges. It's like saying "My car works fine on the road, why aren't I winning Formula 1 races!"

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. KalTauri Trainee Engineer

The issue I loosely assume is that specific technological advances in rendering optimization techniques that were developed in dx10 and dx11 which are not available in dx9, allow planets to render on current gen machines. If you were to play it on DX9, those optimizations wouldn't exist, and the amount of resources required to run the game in real time would be beyond any hardware available atm.

18. Devon_v Senior Engineer

My understanding is that planets themsleves do render in DX9, or at least they do at 60km radius, but their atmospheres don't work at all and that was a much earlier version so it's no proof that all of the final features work at all. Also the planetary lighting is entirely based on DX11's PBR lighting as far as I'm aware.

Basically DirectX9 is too primitive a language to describe the complexity needed to render planets.

It's important to note that these planets are not just some bullet point, or some minor "we added a planet level" sort of thing. These are absolutely massive objects that are fully realized. There are no loading screens. There are no boundaries. Almost every last piece of them can be altered or destroyed. The surface area of any one of them is greater than than of entire open world games. They may not look flashy compared to some games environments, but there is so much going on behind the scenes to realize them.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.