Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Will new welder/grinder replace .5x/2x/5x welder/ grinder world option?

Discussion in 'General' started by Legolas6531, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Legolas6531 Trainee Engineer

I searched the forums, couldn't find any results on a thread like this.
    Would it be better for this to replace it? Or to keep both options open for the player to decide?

I feel with 5x welder/grinder + Mk. 4 tools would be pretty much creative mode with limited inventory :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. DaveUnder Apprentice Engineer

If we look tools from bigger picture then different tier tools make no sense in survival at moment.
    Yes nice feature or nice blocks in menu, but from gameplay perspective they do not make sense.

As tools take so little amount of resources to be built. And non of the ores are rare ( they never will be in SE ...).
    As soon you have found one ore deposit - you have "endless" amount for tool production for your lifetime.

So higher tier tools challenge apply only for very short time in new survival world - only to the point when you have found all needed ore deposits.
    From that point they are kinda permanent 1x 5x 10x boosters that you have in menu at moment.

SE is not built for small things. The whole game is more of BUILD BIG oriented.

More reasonable mechanics needs to be implemented to make tier based tools useful-challenging in survival.

I admit, this week is just first implementation for them. Lets see where KEEN goes from here with them.

Dave

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  3. Two Apprentice Engineer

It makes sense to remove that setting with the new tools. An elite tool already grinds/builds so fast, you have to be very careful to not accidentally destroy your base. But the production cost for them is definitely not yet balanced.

4. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Keep them. Why remove options?

This is a sandbox game, and anything that gives people options to vary their playstyle should stay.

5. mhalpern Senior Engineer

to enforce a new progression element,
    agreed, that elite grinder should be MUCH more expensive, as should the others, if not in resources, in time, and in suit energy cost, but again I'm not worried this first implementation is a balance test, the elite stuff will likely be nerfed a bit and made more expensive.

6. Repo Mann Apprentice Engineer

mk5 tolls should be accessible through data mining. You put computers to, actually, compute the new tech. If you compute a new one you get access to it.

7. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I am of the opinion that they should replace the speed multiplier of the world. I'm starting to think that all these options are making balancing the game very hard. The jetpack for example, on 10x inventory you can just fill yourself up with hydrogen bottles and go to space.

8. Namdoolb Apprentice Engineer

I'm pretty sure the production costs will be subject to balancing at a later date.

As for removing the weld/grind speed setting? No.
    These tools provide a nice progression element, which you don't have to use if you don't want to. I think that a lot of servers will start dropping their build speed multipliers down now that players have the tools to raise it themselves in-game.

But removing the option to set those multipliers forces people into using the upgraded tools, and maybe some people don't want to use them.
    (not me personally, (I quite like the tiered tools) but I understand that there are people out there who won't want to use them.)

Personally I think the tiered tools are great, and I can't wait to see when we get something similar for ship tools/weapons.

9. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

Last I checked, you can do that with just 1 hydrogen bottle (I did this on the 01.110 patch). Getting into space is very possible with 1x settings. And why is multiplier settings a bad thing? If a player is going to cheat, can you really stop them? There is a mod that removes fuel requirements for jetpacks for starters. Also, without multiplier settings, there is little middle ground between full survival and full creative. Not everyone likes playing one or the other. I've created enough new maps through the patches that I'm not interested in doing the full grind routine that is needed to get started.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.