Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Worst Space Engineers Experience Ever.

Discussion in 'General' started by NeoSpring, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. NeoSpring Trainee Engineer

Came back to try out space engineers and this cool new planets idea! the screen shots look so awsome... the idea is so freaking amazing!

I had the worst experience with this game top notch absolutely horrible.

- Spawn in a ship that cannot fly in space (the lander) ... spawn in a ship that can fly through space but cannot land. no asteroids in sight.
    - The games optimizations are so horrible that your frame rates are terrible you HAVE to play the game on low graphic settings or ELSE SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES !! (I have a 8 core computer with 10gb ram and two sli graphics cards that cost about 300 dollars each)
    - There is no Friction physics, so things slide... every were ... some big old fat heavy space ship can just slip and slide away... this IS NOT POSSIBLE!
    - You cannot SEEEEEEEEEEE when the sun is down on a planet .... YOU CANT SEE ANY THING AT ALL its pitch black... even the stars provide at least some light!
    - the smallest bumps on surfaces good luck there goes half your space craft....
    - De-Syinc issues in MP always, 24/7 its so common you just say Oh i cant grind that because it's desynced and then.. just walk away.
    - Need a "object is settled" program in there so the vibrating madness stops .. or things dont just roll around forever lol.

FIX THIS DAMN GAME PLEASE THANKS I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY IT THANK YOU!!!!!

• Disagree x 35
    • Agree x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Friendly x 1
    • Late x 1
  2. NeoSpring Trainee Engineer

Also.. I landed on a moon that had no textures at all ... pitch black dont understand.

The AI system seems to make the game "chug" every time they are loaded or spawned or something like that... also .. very annoying :D

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  3. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

Gosh, that sounds pretty bad! Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time of it. KSH is aware of and actively working on a number of these issues - specifically netcode and physics issues related thereunto. As far as graphics goes, ask around on the forums with more details; there may be some troubleshooting yet.

Hope things turn out a little better in the future, though! It's definitely worth it.

• Friendly Friendly x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

- Spawn in a ship that cannot fly in space (the lander) !!??? urrr that us kind of the point it not meant to fly in space its a lander u need to re-engineer it to fly if that want you want.
    ,, spawn in a ship that can fly through space but cannot land. thats the hole point you re-engineer it to land

There are asteroids but you have to travel to them about 100k away.

- There is no Friction physics, so things slide... every were ... some big old fat heavy space ship can just slip and slide away... this IS NOT POSSIBLE! ,,

not sure what you mean by this you mean a ship that has landed ? Well if it parked on a hill then unless it locks down it will side down the hill Thats gravity for ya

-You cannot SEEEEEEEEEEE when the sun is down on a planet .... YOU CANT SEE ANY THING AT ALL its pitch black... even the stars provide at least some light!

Other people have said this but myself i can see fine at night yea it is dark and hard to see but just take ya time when flying about but better lights could solve this. there is a mod called 300m spotlight these seem to work on my server and help see at night what i have done is made spot light drones so i can remote control them to areas i want lighted up. i would recommend this for now until we get some better night light
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=563243502

The other problems you listed is the same for everyone but should be solved with netcode we hope.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  5. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

SE has a bit of multithreading but tbh it kinda sucks, you'd probably be better off with a powerful singular core. The game doesn't seem to care much about graphic cards either; mostof the performance issues come from Havok and that's a cpu-eater. Andfrankly, 10 gigs of Ram is on the lower side of the spectrum for SE, not just in general because the game had little to no optimization yet but also because of rampant memory leak problems. The DX11 blindfold is a known issue but we haven't managed to get a proper answer about whether it's intentional or not yet.
    Hope that helps.

Edit: New Netcode to fix multiplayer issues is being worked on and will be the next major feature now that planets aren't hogging all the resources anymore.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NeoSpring Trainee Engineer

Nice ! you all have good feed back , I'm so wanting to play this game with planets !! heh :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. infiltr8 Trainee Engineer

I have a 4 core 3 GHz and only 1 gfx-Card under 300 Dollar and have over 50FPS with max Settings on planets ... the mentioned parts are either very old or ist just an optimization Problem of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Lyrus Apprentice Engineer

It's a very common phenomenon that can be observed in real life quite often : it's called night.

• Funny x 14
    • Agree x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Luckily we're playing a video game where silly real life phenomena don't matter.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ulfsark Master Engineer

One time, my area had a major power outage that lasted a few days. I was driving home from work, and let me tell you, without the ambient light of modern life with all the signs and street lights and whatnot, night time IS pitch black. It would be cool if there was some way they could make the sunlight reflecting off the moon and planets cast a glow, Especially when they are full, but under normal circumstances no, you can't see diddly squat at night.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Two Apprentice Engineer

If you bought this game and expect it to be anywhere close to working within the next 3 years, then I am sorry, that just won't happen. Keen has demonstrated and does demonstrate almost every week that you can count on only one thing when it comes to Space Engineers, and that is bugs.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

It's almost as if it's an Alpha or something :D

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Spets Master Engineer

Just wait for it. The night is going to be nerfed and dumbed down at the minecraft level where the night is just a visual decoration, because all this complaining from people that cant adjust their monitor brightness manually. What needs to be fixed are the lights, although you can use mods to increase the range. lights are obviously with a short range now for performance purpose of course.

Long Range Light
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=563243502

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Radma Kanow Apprentice Engineer

Ok, got to the "- The games optimizations are so horrible that" part and instantly went:

[​IMG]

More seriously, (I feel like repeating myself) most people forget about SE's alpha status. Despite multiple options and mechanic and playable status. It's still in alpha stage, nowhere near optimization. Major WIP and constant bug hunt. So I try to answer your issues:

- Spawn in a ship that cannot fly in space (the lander) ... spawn in a ship that can fly through space but cannot land. no asteroids in sight.
    You got (as name suggests) a lander. Craft designed to descend and land on a planet. Nothing more. Well, except you get a quite nice resource pile to support your constructions before you get mining and refining running.

Landing is a skill no a "press-a-button" procedure.

No steroids in sight... you sure picked proper scenario, with astral objects like planets and asteroids, right?

- The games optimizations are so horrible that your frame rates are terrible you HAVE to play the game on low graphic settings or ELSE SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES !! (I have a 8 core computer with 10gb ram and two sli graphics cards that cost about 300 dollars each)
    I have (iirc) i5 @ 3GHz, 8GB ram, single GF 980 GTX, bunch of 3rd party mods, DX11 and it runs smoothly. Can't remember exact quality settings but it is higher than low. But need to check it to confirm. That doesn't prove anything but, as explained above with a meme.

- There is no Friction physics, so things slide... every were ... some big old fat heavy space ship can just slip and slide away... this IS NOT POSSIBLE!
    It is possible. It's what we have atm. How's it impossible as it happens in game right now? And again - meme.

- You cannot SEEEEEEEEEEE when the sun is down on a planet .... YOU CANT SEE ANY THING AT ALL its pitch black... even the stars provide at least some light!
    Urban born and raised issue (assumption). One who never left their city/town and experience real night is surprised how real night looks like. Btw., there's a topic about nights being too dark where I posted my humble insight.

And if you have problems with not seeing - there's an item under "G" menu called spotlight. Using it might fix your problem.

- the smallest bumps on surfaces good luck there goes half your space craft....
    flying or wheeled? If first high speed with mass attached to it usually don't go along with mostly immovable objects. Physics in this case works pretty well.
    If it's wheeled unit - you need to adjust suspension settings properly. I won't tell you how as I'm struggling with it. But there are people who mastered it and shared their knowledge. I have a topic about K.I.S.S. settings on suspension wheels - there you'll find reference materials I'm talking about.

- De-Syinc issues in MP always, 24/7 its so common you just say Oh i cant grind that because it's desynced and then.. just walk away.
    Not playing MP atm so no comment on that.

- Need a "object is settled" program in there so the vibrating madness stops .. or things dont just roll around forever lol
    Sound like space ship without proper thruster layout and/or lack of gyroscope component. Can somewhat agree as I accidentally bumped into my ship-under-construction and set it to spin madly. Three tips:
    - approach with caution and try not to hit what you are constructing
    - place at least 6 thrusters facing each side of X:Y:Z axis with a gyroscope. Make sure they are powered and your "inertia damping" is set ON (default key: X or Z, one of them - one toggles jetpack, other inertia; always confuse those two as I use them simultaneously and don't pay attention which one does what. 90% it's X).
    - build on station block. In the character tools, apart from grinder and other hand tools, you have 3 icons with pictures - "new small ship", "new large ship" and "new station". Ships start with landing gear block, station gives standard steel cube. Difference between ships and station is that station cannot move and cannot be moved.

So make 1 station block, then start new ship (you get landing gear) and place that gear on a station block. It should stick to it and now you can freely construct without worrying that your accidental bump will make your project spin. To get free either grind down that landing gear or toggle it OFF.

Hope that helps. Welcome to SE.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Pyronymer Apprentice Engineer

It's odd that you should say that, since I for one have been assuming all the people cluttering up the forums with crazy anti-game absolutist "all night is cave darkness!" claims were the ones who had never been outdoors at night in the country
    anywhere ever.

16. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Vienna city-born and, somewhat neglectedly, raised. One of my most beautiful memories is of our winter vacations in the mountains. Technically i hated it there but the complete lack of light polution allowed a breathtaking view of the Milky Way. You don't quite get why it's called that without that sight, at least i didn't. "The night is dark" my ass, go home Melisndre, u drunk.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Ulfsark Master Engineer

I remember when I was in Greece, visiting family in my father's backwater 3rd world country of a village, and seeing the Milky Way for the first time. I damn near shat myself. I believe my exact words to my mom was "WTF IS THAT??!??"

• Like Like x 2
  18. Radma Kanow Apprentice Engineer

I got that once during my vacations where I had a chance of spending a night at the Sahara Desert. The closest civilization was like 300 km away. Sitting on a dune, midnight time made me realize that I never saw a true starry night...

Full Moon, midnight February forest walk was almost comparable to a foggy day. It was so bright I could literally read a book without additional light.
    Night on a desert - lots of stars, Milky Way glowing so bright.

All of those situations make night really bright. But try some "backwater" village areas, night time when there are some clouds/no Moon. You'll be lucky to see your fingers at arm stretched length... And that lighting scheme is what we have currently in SE.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Two Apprentice Engineer

Alphas do have bugs, that's the point of alphas. What kind of bugs and especially: how difficult would it have been to detect and fix them before releasing is the question that matters. Other games like i.E. StarMade are also in alpha, just with a lot less bugs, and they release about the same amount of features in a month that keen releases in half a year with one major exception: StarMade features actually work mostly flawless when they are released.

If you do some thinking about that, it boils down to the competency of the programmers, release processes and finally the project lead, and looking back at the releases SE did so far, where basically nothing ever worked without at least 2 follow-up patches and even then usually just barely, you just have to admit that Keen does lack competency. That doesn't mean that KSH will never release SE, but it means that it will take massively longer than it would have taken other companies.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

I had a problem with the too-dark nights as well. Turns out that my (formerly) high-end video card was just too old to keep up. When planets became available, I nearly despaired and table flipped my keyboard. Did I whine? No! I engaged my google-fu!

Now I have a $30 replacement card that supports DX11 and it works just fine on medium graphics. I can see just fine now, AND planets are playable.

I do so love hearing people go on about their awesome computer parts with no acknowledgement of how old/outdated that it or the drivers may be. I also notice on a near-daily basis that some folks think that their computer can run all sorts of background processes with no concern to what impact it will have on the rest of their computer. There are also many mods out there that could very well break SE.

I wish people would think about these things before they explode like OP. Perhaps even ask for help instead of the rant above.

*generalist comment about entitlement of the younger generation*

Love and smooches sweeties!

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. a2457 Senior Engineer

Its' alpha is no solution in anyway.
    and its a pretty bad excuse for "everything wrong with SE".

and if you don't like my post, then i give it to you:
    IT'S ALPHA
    :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

I do have to admit though, some blocks do feel very brittle/delicate. A 5m/sec collision sometimes will just result in the block exploding.

Wish there were a way to also fix dents without manually welding each block. My ocd/perfectionist tendencies go nuts when they see dents.

23. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Just want to point out to the people doing rl night comparisons, it's dependant on where you live.
    Where I live you can drive by moonlight and see everything, but a place like I10 in the Florida panhandle you would have no idea where the road even was if it weren't for the lines. Going through AZ you may as well be blind. California sits in the middle area. Wyoming, there's nothing to look at anyways.

24. PLPM Junior Engineer

IRL we have something called moon. It´s incredibly handy at being a really dark mirror that reflects sunlight and gives us some light to see (more or less ok) at nights. In SE we don´t have that...

Anemic lighting radious from lights... that´s a whole another thing.

25. Pfo Apprentice Engineer

It's great that you have a super powerful computer and all, but only an absolute top of the line machine is going to run planets in full detail and even then not all the time. This game is a sandbox, a big one, so big that you can easily throw so much to process at it that it can't handle it. Keep in mind that the planets in this game are probably the largest, most computationally expensive thing you are going to find in any game at the moment and this will probably be true for some time. So before you whine that they aren't optimized, put them in perspective.

26. Argotha Apprentice Engineer

23 disagrees to OP and only a few people have actually posted something explaining such. This cowardly trend is getting on my nerves.

@OP the bumps destroying your craft thing can mostly be resolved by properly adjusting your wheels. It will likely take some experimentation. However, note that there are still limitations.

The lander is designed to not go in space on purpose. It can land, though. I'm not sure why you're having trouble with this. I recommend trying to find as level a spot as possible. Lakes are particularly good atm since they are solid.

Overreaction aside, I agree with the rest of your points.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. coffeene Apprentice Engineer

I just got to playing a game called "wurm: unlimited". You want to complain about lighting then play that and come back here. BTW wurm is a finished game.

28. Echillion Senior Engineer

Has the OP tried pressing the L button? as in L for helmet lights? lol

• Agree Agree x 4
  29. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

There's a huge disagreement about night lighting on the forum lately and it's to be expected. The thing is, both situations are very much possible in real life; a pitch dark night as well as a full moon/lots of stars night where you can see very well around you.

As of now, the game lightning is... well, there. Let's just say that. It's a matter of time before Keen choose a way and fix the whole thing. There's not a lot of solutions; either they implement some sort of meteorological system and make the lighting variable of weather, which would be really cool but unlikely IMO, or they pick one of the two. Pitch black or brighter.

WHICH WILL IT BE KEEN!?!?!?

In the meantime, continue to voice your opinion in a civilized manner :)

my 2 cents

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Lupus Irae Apprentice Engineer

Please define your hardware. An eight core processor sounds like AMD. AMD processors I have known usually have very shiny specifications with large numbers, but usually still have low performance against Intel.

You have two video cards. The game has evidently been built on nVidia cards. People with nVidia cards seem to have less of a problem.

Please give us and the developers useful information.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.