Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Your plans for planets?

Discussion in 'General' started by DasPenguin, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DasPenguin Trainee Engineer

I know there's been threads with this question, but with planets nigh upon us, what are your plans with your planets? Are you going to build underground bases? Or attempt to create a network of defence satellites to blast your enemies? Tell me your plans! I wanna know!

2. DasPenguin Trainee Engineer

Personally, I've day dreamed a few hours about what I'm planning. I work underground as a miner, so I'm thinking about creating a fully functioning underground mining operation. I plan on having drilling equipment, haulage equipment, ramp system, levels, and rock passes and chutes to the shaft to bring it up to surface to the processing plant. My problem is though, I want a vertical shaft system to haul the ore upwards and a cage to bring players up and down to different levels but I'm having uh, creative issues in designing a system that will work. Rails would be ideal but I don't know how to get it to work and I can't test til planets are released. Any ideas engineers?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

When planets get released in December, I will probably still be playing Falout 4.

• Like Like x 7
  4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

When planets get released I will explore explore explore~!

Take lots of screenshots of things.

Try to make a carrier that can land on a planet.

Try to figure out a way to destroy an entire planet.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Demo Apprentice Engineer

Find a nice Icy/ Snowy planet, Build a modern looking houseish thingie with maybe some orange flickering lights to simulate a nice warm fire place. Park the frigate somewhere in the upper atmosphere and chill-ax and let all the kids worry about all that space engineering. Perhaps negotiate my way around a burrito.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  6. waterlimon Senior Engineer

Ill watch the patch video and then go do other stuff waiting for the next patch

7. TheDuke540 Apprentice Engineer

All Aboard....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Crazie Trainee Engineer

My plan is to crash into a planet, die, respawn, and repeat until I find something productive to do until new netcode comes out.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sinbad Senior Engineer

Land maggots.
    Large autonomous articlated drilling worm that refines what it eats, makes components and grows longer. When it gets big enough: snip :two worms gobbling up the planet.
    I'm hoping to end up with a mass of writhing monstrosities churning around a loose pile of ejected stone where the planet used to be.
    Either that or seed half a dozen of them at random then switch to survival and try to hunt them all down before they crash the game.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DOOOOOOOMMM! Trainee Engineer

11. DasPenguin Trainee Engineer

Now that's thoughtful lol. Something out of a marvel comic lol

12. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

In addition to moving my Galaxy to the first Mars i can find i do have other plans (besides a Veridian III diorama):

[​IMG]

I am ambitious.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DasPenguin Trainee Engineer

Anyone have any ideas for ground to space weapons?

14. Sinbad Senior Engineer

Lets see:
    Volume of a 50km diameter planet...
    Pi*25000^3= 49,085,937,500,000 cubic meters...
    Devided by the volume of a large armor block in cubic meters 15.625...
    3,141,500,000,000 blocks to replace a planet.
    Ambitious indeed.
    And who is paying for the super computer you are doing this with?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

NASA.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I think gravity counts?
    How high do you want to shoot? If the target is within planet gravity you just need to take out enough thrusters that they cant stay up there.
    But consider the travel time of the rounds, the chances they have moved or changed course is pretty high.
    I think you would basically need a self propelled pmw controled via laser antenna to ensure a hit. Then again, how are you going to know they are up there? Thats pretty far away.

17. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I suppose it counts as an orbital construction simulation for potential future missions. I want to read your grant proposal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DasPenguin Trainee Engineer

Yeah that is true, which also makes defence a big difficulty. You can be busy doing something without ever knowing someone else is landing on the planet. Heck you could probably never know if you and someone else shared a planet

19. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

"It'd be, like, superawesome, guys."
    That should do it. They're all about the awesome over there.

20. Kira Apprentice Engineer

I've made a pact with my group that none of us explore planets till all of us are on. Needless to say. Once we are, first order of business will be to establish a ground airbase. Throw up some orbital satellites, and get ground and air vehicles up ASAP for the impending land/grab that will doubtless result in a 3 way war.

21. Sinbad Senior Engineer

heh. They let the airforce impose design constraints for the space shuttle to be capable of a mission profile that was only good for dropping nukes on russia. (which ended up being the primary design goal) I suppose 'awesome' would probably work on them too.

22. Demo Apprentice Engineer

Im curious to see how planetary gravity will change builds, Iv watched a few vids for the people able to compile the assets to play around with. If the gravity works somewhat decent I wana see how well some sort of SCUD launcher or dumb-fire missiles behave. Could be really fun to limit players to only being able to use indirect attacks and such instead of building ships.

23. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

I will have a strange "jump drive malfunction" near the first planet I see, perilously crashing to the surface but making it through the harrowing ride down through sheer grit, determination, and a supply of fudge-pops. After landfall, I'll have to find a way off whatever beastly rock I've been stranded on. Or settle in to paradise, hehe.

24. Sinbad Senior Engineer

but what for the satalites? They can't be automated to see anything from over 800meters away. We really really need to get long range sensors. Radar or something. Planets make us think on much larger scales.

25. DasPenguin Trainee Engineer

Haha a utopia.

26. SilentSymphony Apprentice Engineer

Harvest all of the spice.

• Like Like x 6
  27. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Well, I'll probably make some kind of long colonizer ship, crash it head first into a planet and then marvel at the tower I've made.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  28. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

Drop things from orbit to test gravity, in much the same way that cats test if gravity is still working by swatting mugs off tables.

• Like Like x 8
  29. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I'm with Dreokor; I'm gonna make me a tower. I've been practicing!

• Like Like x 6
  30. Wolf76200 Trainee Engineer

Making a 120km² plate of drills to eat'em ! Even if my game will simply kill my PC and even blow up my house if I manage to build 3km² of them...

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.