Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Your Thoughts on Multiplayer (Initial First Update)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tsc0308, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. tsc0308 Trainee Engineer

What do you think about this initial, and of course, buggy, multiplayer update?

While I like that they have put multiplayer out, I do worry that they have done so due to player demand. It sure isn't ready, with the big kicker being block input lag; the time it takes from clicking to placing a block or object can be very long in some instances. Flying ships with others in other cases is also juddery.
    It tried this out on a load of peoples servers, just to make sure it wasn't me, but I don't think it is just me.

The ability to be able to fight though, with copy and pasted ships, seems much more functional that the building part of the game.

So namely, I'd like it if there could be more efforts into reducing this rather large input lag (and general lag issues). Of course it could just be server issues, but I'm not completely sure.

Kudos for this update ^^

2. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

Would be nice to know latency of people you are trying to connect
    Still look interesting

3. paswert Junior Engineer

Support anything that makes it work better.

4. Amancalledme Apprentice Engineer

Very laggy, but I found if you kept it to three or less players, or if it was friends only, it ran surprisingly quickly.

5. Cyrus Deacon Trainee Engineer

I think its horrible right now. I thought we were suppose to be able to host our own dedicated servers? This 16 person limitation is not pleasing. 16 player limitations are for first person shooters in my opinion. Oh well, Alpha. I will pray in the mean time.

6. Leon026 Apprentice Engineer

Patience young padawan...

7. tcezar Trainee Engineer

I think they released it too soon
    the people whining for MP, will now whine how unstable MP is right now.

8. Fab Apprentice Engineer

Sucks. I hope they fix the lag issue and sync the clients.

9. Guest

Beside the obvious technically issues that im sure will be addressed is them giving us multiplayer with no chat box.

10. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

Fools. I think this is one of the best updates so far, and the development momentum is impressive. Keep it up Keen! :D

11. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

The lag makes it unplayable. I would have preferred that they waited a week or two before releasing so it would be more stable and actually usable. I suspect it will get much better in the next week or two.

12. MagmaBurn_NL Apprentice Engineer

We got what we wanted! yes it's still unplayable but at a certain point you have to release it to the players otherwise you can't "really" stress it! can't wait for the next update:D

13. BlankWarningsign Apprentice Engineer

I think its AWESOME! It's the first step in the right direction, and over A Month Earlier then I had first assumed it would be out! The march of progress is Ridiculously Fast!

In two or three updates, all these issues will be dealt with!

Some people are so short sighted...

14. Thalion Apprentice Engineer

Can it be, that MP tends to stress the bandwidth very much? A friend with a 3000th dsl connection got disconnected everytime he was on the server, the one with 50k had no such problems, but other ones. ^^

15. tsc0308 Trainee Engineer

Glad to see I wasnt the only one with the lag issues.

I imagine is the netcode for the game, though I'm sure dedicated servers could iron that issue out. Of course, alpha... but the input lag makes building nearly unplayable. And mining + lots of combat causes the framerate to plummet and the game slows down due to all the CPU calculations (I presume)

I look forwards to it all being ironed out though.

16. NeoValkyrion Trainee Engineer

The key thing to remember here is that this is Alpha software. This isn't them putting out multiplayer due to player demand - it's them putting out multiplayer because they have to test it as they build it.

It's one of the core systems of the game - large enough that they can't (and shouldn't) just wait to push it out to the public until it's finished. Every bit of information we can give them about what they've built so far helps them make future updates better. :)

17. RedPhoenix Moderator

Thanks.

Whenever you guys think about the game or how bugged MP is, remember this post.
    They have shipped out this update to make some kind of stress-test, to locate the bugs and to eliminate them in further updates.

Yes, we all know that it is laggy and we are well aware that this is a funkiller.

18. Guest

No rush, take as much time as you need we're just listing a few concerns we had. I'm sure no one was expecting multiplayer coming out today it was a shock to me personally.

19. Icon Trainee Engineer

I would just like to be able to see my, and the host's latency, since if you start lag, there is no indicator except if you look around and see something odd like warping stuff etc... That's the only REAL complaint since it's still early alpha.

And since I'm not so keen on multiplayer without real features nor without point playing it, this week was basically no-updates-week :)() for me and for some others too I guess.

20. not Apprentice Engineer

I really dont like the way of making server. I hope you will change from bulit-in client-server to normal client and additional dedicated server app.

21. Oselotti Junior Engineer

Can we chat in multiplayer? I'm trying to join some and see what happens.

22. Leon026 Apprentice Engineer

Nope, no chat in-game for the time being. I think its more to see how the netcode works, or doesnt.

23. Oselotti Junior Engineer

Crashed. Trying again. I'll just build something and trying to shoot things.

24. Caesar15 Apprentice Engineer

The multiplayer is an alpha inside of an alpha, it will be worked on along with the other features of the game.

25. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

After waking up alone in the space traveling from asteroid to asteroid few months, inventing all kinds of wonders on my way. It was heart warming to discover I was not the only survivor in this vast darkness :cool:

26. Oselotti Junior Engineer

I was making my ow MP world and copied some ships there to try when I was kicked out. Then I tried other worlds and get in and one ship still in my clip board. So I made my furious yellow flame there. Someone took copy of it and we had fight when game crashed. Damn :)

27. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I tend to think this was a perfect time to release the first multiplayer version... It's such a big undertaking, requiring tons of adjustment and optimization to get it to work properly, it's much better to get the field testing started while many of the subsystems are still disabled or not implemented. If they kept churning out feature after feature, got everything maxed out, and then dropped in multiplayer at the end, could you imagine the fiasco? And just imagine the difficulty of figuring out which feature(s) were responsible for horrible performance!

This is just about right. Many core features in place, quite a few lagtastic items (like the mining debris) already implemented, so now start stress testing multiplayer and figure out where the base latency and comm issues are. Then, as you add more features, you immediately see how they impact multiplayer performance, and tweak them before bringing in the next set of features.

28. Cyrus Deacon Trainee Engineer

I agree with a lot of what has been said above me. This is great for a stress test. These guys seem intelligent and I am sure they will do multiplayer right. Right now they just need data.

29. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Then we will give them Data!
    [​IMG]

30. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

it was really a shock? I've been counting down for the past 3 days :D

Im amazed so far. It was laggy at first till I found the 32bit exe, then I logged in to find a player building right in front of me. He flew off and started blowing up the big green station!

Movement was a little jerky, but all the course corrections and acceleration seemed right, and the station exploded in a timely fashion :p

Cant wait to try this over LAN, seem what's lag, what's graphic-pain and we'll be able to communicate.

Anyone know if Beacon Names are synchronised yet? I renamed one to 'Beacon-Howdy' and it never changed to anything else.. either they don't sync or no one thought to talk back :p

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.