Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

ZTS2 Helios (Atmosphere-capable solar powered jump ship)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by ZeroCore, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ZeroCore Apprentice Engineer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=687176209

[​IMG]

So I went ahead and did one of the hardest things that you can do in terms of planet-capable ships; I made one that can take off from a planet, even one with a heavy gravity field (remember I build on a 1.10 G alien world), and is ENTIRELY powered by renewable energy, or at least theoretically can be if you're extremely patient.

This ship's solar panels can replenish its batteries' energy all on its own, and the oxygen farms can keep you breathing whilst it does it, but the full recharge time is, I kid you not, somewhere in between 4 to 5 (or possibly 6) hours, real time.

I recommend that you, instead, build solar recharge stations at the destinations that you intend to visit, as this ship does have a connector on the bottom of the bow which, when connected to another connector, can be used to recharge ship from another ship or space station. In an emergency though, the ship can recharge itself but it will take at least two full sessions of gameplay to do so (unless you don't mind leaving your game running unattended for a good quarter of a day, so like I said, be sure to have a recharge port at the place you intend to visit).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. StormField Apprentice Engineer

Very cool, and great surprise with the folding ends.

3. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

You'll never leave atmosphere like this. At some point atmo thrusters will start failing. At that point your ions still won't have enough power, and your jump drives will be inoperable.

4. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

it looks capable. I dislike that it has no interior, but other than that it's pretty cool

5. ZeroCore Apprentice Engineer

Lol

If that's the case, how did I build this thing on a high-G alien world, switch the thing over to survival, and then take off from the planet's surface and get into space without even burning through half of my batteries?

I've tested this thing in survival and, with fully-charged batteries, it can get into space from a planet's surface under its own power, and as per usual, I did NOT use mods of any kind; this is fully vanilla. It has no modded blocks, and no mods to the game's physics engine, speed limits, or anything else; when I say no mods at all, I mean no mods AT ALL.

6. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Is it tested multiplayer safe or tjose rotors gonna explode due to lag?

7. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

That's really impressive. Also really cool. I'm surprised you managed to pass the ion/atmospheric thruster barrier so easily. Seriously impressive

8. ZeroCore Apprentice Engineer

Just keep your mass as low as you can get, have 2 or 3 backwards-facing large ion thrusters and possibly 1 large backwards-facing atmospheric thruster. Then just remember 2 large atmo thrusters for lift.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.