Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

More Details on Visual Scripting

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by ATMLVE, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

The visual scripting tool is a great addition, allowing players to make their own campaigns. The built-in campaign is awesome, the missions and environments are cool. But the scripts for them, like any uncommented script you personally didn't write, is nearly impossible to follow. Especially considering you can't always tell what script goes with what part of what mission.

The only resource provided by Keen is the "guide" on steam, which provides a single (quite useful) guide on making a simple trigger. But the rest of this extensive guide spends most of its time explaining to you that an 'arithmetic' node does math, a 'for loop' node runs through once for all of its parameters, and an 'and' node requires all of its inputs to be true for the output to be true. Anyone using this tool can figure that out on their own.

Why was time and effort put into giving us this tool for which there is virtually no way to learn how to use it? There are no great player made campaigns out there, because no one has any idea how to use the tools. It would be fantastic if whoever at Keen put their time into making this for us would make a series of guides explaining how exactly to use its different features.

I followed and completed the single given tutorial, the triggering of an explosion. I was able to expand this script to trigger the appearance of a waypoint as well, so there's something. I was also able to make some text appear onscreen as a sort of mission name and info. All attempts beyond this, attempting to do anything else or make anything whatsoever happen, have failed. I cannot make blocks or ships do anything or change ownership or... anything. I would love to make some missions, and I have some ideas I think people would like, but they are impossible goals if there is no way to learn how to use these tools.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

I 100% agree. Though I couldn't understand the guide until I was shown a video. For me, it was too vague, and now in don't know how to do anything but trigger an effect. I really hope they make a better guide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

Exactly. The most detailed thing anyone can really do right now is do things with triggers. Because that's what the tutorial was on. If it had been about something else, then we'd be skilled in that area instead.

There is one guy making some good advances by studying the campaign missions Keen made. And he flat out said in a comment that he's unemployed and so he has tons of time to work on stuff. Not all are so (un?)fortunate.

4. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

Well, I hope he posts his own guide (and finds a job).

5. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

I hope he DOESNT find a job, so that he spends all his time figuring out visual scripting! :p

6. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Id say thats probably because this isnt keens brainchild. This was done like 2 years ago by some random user. I recall trying it out then and probably have the original file somewhere. Idk if they just finished what he started butnit looks almost identical.

7. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

i got a trigger to work and some other stuff. but there's so much to do with this tool that i have yet to find

8. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

Yeah and who in the world is capable of figuring out code from scratch? The syntax and everything, it's impossible.

9. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

Was just reading through some recent update logs and found this again:

Seriously? How do they expect people to be able to make drones do these things without providing a guide on it? What if I make six different drones, and I want two of them to strafe and one of them to ram, where do I even start to make them do this? No data or tutorial of any kind has been provided to teach us how to do stuff like that. The only way to learn would be to either conduct 1000 tests, or sort through the missions codes and try and figure it out. We seriously need a whole series of tutorials on visual scripting, it's not just drones for sure.

I'm American and I watch American football. Sometimes it's 3rd and 15, meaning they have one chance to make it 15 yards. And the play they make is to throw the ball 1 or 2 yards and expect the guy to run the other 13-14. And of course 95% of the time they don't get it. And I say to myself, there is no way the coach that called that play actually expected that to work. They weren't trying. There's no way anyone in charge of making that play happen actually truly thought they would make it those 15 yards.
    That's how I feel about this visual scripting. Keen made this program. But there is no way anyone in charge of its production actually thought after releasing it that people would be able to use it. They put in a little effort to teach, but anyone who made the program knows that there's virtually no way anyone would actually be able to use the tools with the single "guide" that was provided.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

Yeah. It's annoying as crap. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

11. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

See and that's the thing, it's not like I'm asking for pistons to be fixed or something. It's a tool that works and they have already used it to do things. I am simply asking for them to make a few tutorials showing us how they did those things. It's already there, they've already done it, it's trivial.

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Let me bump this thread since I want so real tutorials and samples of visual scripting... particularly the Drone AI regarding straffing and other behaviors.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.