Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

This game needs a UI upgrade

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

The current UI is very functional, you can get everything done that you want to do. But the experience is not very user friendly and it looks really dated.

Here's some random things I wish they'd improve on.

1. Grouping GPS signals
    - Grouping of GPS signals and also the ability to define a visibility range for them

2. Inventory screen full item totals for all grids.
    - You just sometimes need a quick summary of how many Iron Plates or Metal Grids your grid contains without looking through the single inventories.
    - I know the Automatic LCD's mod can do this. But inventory management is such a crucial part of the game that it should just be part of the UI.

3. Hide groups in control panel
    - When you have a large ship with 10 different groups the groups default to being first in the control panel with no ability to hide them it really confuses things.

4. Control Panel grouping of connected ships
    - I want a quick way of choosing from the connected grids which panels to show. There is never a time I need to see all connected ships and all of their blocks. It should work something like this
    Control Panel > Choose Grid (including subgrids) > Game shows blocks for that grid

5. Overall graphical design of UI
    - Just do something about the overall design of the UI at some point. I want some kind of graphical design in a video game. Have a floor plan/outline of my ship on the right side while I look through the blocks. Some different shades and colors and gradients for the screens. You know. Actual artistc design for the screens we use all the time.

Overall it is very functional but a very very designer made UI if ya know what I mean. Please have someone with artistic skills redesign some of this. The game actually looks rather decent so why do we have such an ugly UI.

2. Malware Master Engineer

You don't say...

:p

First; it is a "designer made UI", as in, an art designer (someone with artistic skill) did make it. You should have seen the original :p Keep in mind that "ugly" is subjective, so that's rarely a valid argument. I, for one, don't mind the actual look of the UI, save for a detail here and there.

No.. My problem...

The very old, very known, wouldn't-expect-anything-to-happen problem is, that it is so terribly user unfriendly. They've had a designer, yes - but not a ux designer.

And being a UX developer myself, this hurts to my very soul...

Don't expect anything to happen. It's already had one redesign (or was it two?). I don't expect another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

No way! How bad was it before? This like a step above an excel sheet. Slightly hyperbole but nonetheless.

4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@SirConnery if you want a look at the old UI here ya go:

5. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Incidentally, I was looking at the toolbar recently -- I usually have the labels turned off -- and realized I had no idea what the 'T' in the bottom center does. Online, I've seen old docs that says it's supposed to reset, or switch, block alignment -- which seems like what 'B' does. Pressing 'T', there's a 'ping' sound effect, and the little icon switches between highlighted and grayed out, but I can't see that it has any effect on anything. I'm wondering if it's just an obsolete UI element.

[​IMG]

6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@FoolishOwl T is used for the block alignment. Like if you place a slope block and you go to place another slope one, if you want it to remember the last orientation of how you had it or for it to try to auto-align it. I probably did not explain it well... lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yeah, T toggles auto-align, which tries to anticipate the way you want to block to align, and is usually wrong, which is why most people toggle it off.

I'm not going to call it ugly. That's subjective. It doesn't look the way I would like, but that doesn't mean it's painful to look at. The problem is it lacks a bit of functionality. It shows me things I don't care about, and I have to go digging for things I think I should be able to see. Problem is, if they did it MY way everyone would quit :D

The perfect solution would be to be able to configure the UI to my satisfaction. I'm not sure what kind of coding nightmare it would be to do that or make it so Modders could, but no UI made by Keen will be adored by its fans ;)

In case you hadn't noticed, the entire game works as if it was designed by engineers. It took this long to get decorative blocks like beds and toilets because the staff considered your character to be a tool for building purposes, so those types of things were not needed. They still don't seem to understand why it would be nice to let the character go about without benefit of EVA suit when on an Earthlike planet or inside the painstakingly airtight and pressurized ship. These are glaring differences between this space game and others.

The UI works. Just be glad.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

for hud, I use this mod - just adds some nice colors etc : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1682356734

On the UI, I am pretty happy with it as its quite functional if you know what all the buttons do but yes agree splitting the control panel into seperate ships that are connected (like with inventory) would work nicely.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I've made a few posts about this subject. My chief complaint is the hot bar/ toolbar. Some functionality is obvious. But most is not. If I am looking at an icon of a wheel in the toolbar and there's a reading of "56%" over it. What does that indicate? If I am running a programmable block with a predefined arguments via the toolbar, what does each instance do? There's no way of knowing unless someone had left some notes in an obvious location.

I honestly feel that players should have more access to the HUD, especially when the avatar is using an IMyShipController block. Cockpit scripts touch on this. But to me they don't go far enough in defining the controls and the functionality of a grid or even the spacesuit.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.