Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.184.5 Minor - Beta improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. flexx SE Asst. Producer Staff

Hello, Engineers! We’ve heard your feedback for the last few minor updates, and since so many of you are missing the weekly update videos, we’ve decided to post some new, different content! This week we have the first video in a series we’re calling Catchin’ Clang. In this series, everyone’s favorite developer, Rexxar ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), will give you a behind the scenes look at the process of finding and fixing bugs in Space Engineers!

Additionally, Rexxar will start providing a sort of mini dev blog on minor updates talking about one or two features or fixes in the update.

We hope you will enjoy this new style of update post, please let us know what you think!

Fixes:
    • fixed crash in Steam Service when exiting game
    • fixed crash with loading multiple modded blocks
    • fixed crash with LCD modded blocks being dragged into the toolbar
    • fixed atmospheric thrusters turbines being displaced when moving
    • fixed scrollbar not updating properly in entity list
    • fixed bad highlighting on arc furnance block
    • fixed button panel LOD making it invisible
    • fixed battery recharching in unbuilt state

An important note for modders and ingame scripters! We’re planning some large changes to the APIs, and we need your help! If you have any issues with the API, or any feature requests, please post in these forum threads!

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/modapi-issues.7397671/

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/ingame-api-issues.7397673/

Some of these changes will break the API, but we will give you more information about these changes as soon as we can, so you can get your mods ready to go before the update comes out. Stay tuned!

Dev Blog:

One of the issues I worked on this week was a mysterious crash that happened when downloading mods. We received a few reports of this through our crash log reporter, and since I have been working on the mod download code recently, the ticket was put on my desk.

I looked into the section of code reported by the crash log, and couldn’t find anything that would produce the error. So I looked closer at the log, and noticed a ton of errors indicating that the user somehow lost connection to Steam at exactly the wrong time, which was resulting in some sort of corrupted state causing invalid data to be fed into the code.

I eventually managed to reproduce the problem by disconnecting my ethernet cable at exactly the right moment :D I found some unsafe code and rewrote it to not crash if given invalid input. The code is also now slightly faster as a result, so loading mods should take a little less time.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 25
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. X_Wing_Ian Trainee Engineer

First post yay, I like the different approach(video)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

• fixed atmospheric thrusters turbines being displaced when moving
    sweet that happened to be once or twice

so loading mods should take a little less time."

I like the sound of that!
    if this keeps up we'll be able to live join a server before anything loads in and we the engineer just sort of phase into existence as existance phases into our view. :D

and this new video style is fascinating.
    very interesting to hear your internal thoughts spoken while you look into this issue explaining what these pieces of code and their exact funtion

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. rexxar Senior Engineer

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Phattty3 Trainee Engineer

Yes Keen!

6. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Good update.

Very interesting and insightful video @rexxar!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Phattty3 Trainee Engineer

Currently I am having more steam issues when playing with friends than the game itself. well done keen, shame on you steam

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

The Atmospheric Thruster leaving their insides behind has been winding me up for ages now, thx for fixing it.

Can we have the new wheels soon?

9. Tyo Atrosa Trainee Engineer

just a suggestion for the next video, maybe ya'll could do one on the optimization process to shut up all of the people who bash ya'll so much for not optimizing everything first.

10. Echillion Senior Engineer

Wheres Xocliw? Not lost in space is he? anyway I hope he's alright.

11. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

I wholeheartedly agree on that point!

Edit reason #4579: Awwww, you guys made me derrrrrrrrrrp!

12. Whiskey2049 Trainee Engineer

Well done! I like to see how you find and fix bugs

13. midspace Senior Engineer

Nice work guys. Glad to see these specific bugs getting squished.

14. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

Good Job again ,,, Maybe next week we get Left angle Blocks !

15. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Videos like this help us remember that you guys are actual people too, and not just a nameless faceless company we can whine like babies at. I like the peek behind the curtain.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Remaarn Trainee Engineer

Heres the rest of the changelog:
    - Changed Suicide to Respawn
    - Tanks show filled volume in liters (Stored/Capacity)
    - Show artificial horizon and altitude on HUD while using remote control
    - Don't change camera when acquiring control of a ship while in a cutscene
    - MyCubeBuilder.FreezeGizmo setter actually uses value and doesn't always set to true
    - Added MyBillboard.BlendTypeEnum to the ModAPI whitelist

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Jananton Trainee Engineer

Having done programming in C(++) for decades, as a hobby I might add, I very much like this new approach of showing off some behind the scenes bug fixing and diving into the nitty gritty of coding for the game.

Keep up the good work guys. ;)

Greets,

Jan

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. I23I7 ME Tester Staff

Hello,

Sim speed issues coming from tools have already been looked into and should run fine if its not the case feel free to send me concise description as a PM.

There is no mention of a fix because as said on the bug report about the sim speeds. The issue will be addressed in a bigger scale in the major update.

Thanks guys

* goes back to shoveling dirt *

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

No quotes in the end of the video :(

20. Braethias Apprentice Engineer

No mention of blueprint folders?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MongooseCalledFred Trainee Engineer

I like this new format. Keep it up!

22. Cilegna Trainee Engineer

Good idea to show the behind the scenes footage. Maybe...just maybe you guys should write a few unit tests just to make sure that as you squash bugs, you don't create new ones. Great that you fix them, just the way you approach it is a little frightning....code and go :/

But happy for the update, keep up the good work.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

This one for me. Keeps happening, and it's horrid when it does. Game-play wise it's not an impact, but it is so nasty watching your turbine wander off into the distance!

Found the Rexxar vid an interesting alternative to the usual video release. I certainly think Keen do need to open up a bit more about things like this to keep the community interest and to educate people on the reality of the issues. Would like to see some stuff covering how code gets optimised and how other elements of the game engine fit together. Bug fixing in more complex problems might ned more than one video .... but I would still like to see how the processes go, and the path a fix has to take before we see it.

Not so interesting for the people who program for a living... but for those of us who don;t .... it's nice to see what goes on behind the scenes bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  24. haibusa2005 Trainee Engineer

That video was very interesting! Keep them coming :D

25. Phoenix84 Junior Engineer

Xocliw shaved. :carlton:

User was banned for this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  26. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

Code:
    if (!Enabled)
        return;
    You are bad guy :p

Good guys using this style:
    Code:
    if (!Enabled)
    {
        return;
    }

Because of

Code:
    if (!Enabled)
        // return;

DoTheThing();

Well, probably this is Keen's code style, but this is a bad code style, imo. This type of bugs have some real cases in my practice.

Also, "Initialize" in function name looks suspicious. Probably you need to check how it used, because there is a chance what it does not beginning called at all now.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  27. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

Really liked the new video even though I understood nothing, just nice to see you guys actually working on this kind of stuff might shut up some of the whiners that think you just sit under your desks eating pie.! Hope the GRAMMAR..errr CODE POLICE don't give you too much stick. :p

28. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

Also, I don't see you performing exactly same actions like in first place. Also, what happens it you will try to turn on projector after? Will it work as intended if you will try to perform actions, but projector is turned on? Yes, I'm quite paranoid :p

29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

@rexxar This is AWESOME! I'd really like to see more videos like this.

30. CaD Apprentice Engineer

Great stuff love the new aproach.

As an afterthought perhaps you could explane why after an update that fixes things do some bugs that were fixed come back.

Keep it up guys great idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.