Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.185.1 - Beta Improvements, Physics & Engineering Contest

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Drui Keen Update Guy Administrator

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! Today's update is focused on addressing some of the issues and crashes occurring with last week's major update.

Now that the release of our Major Physics Overhaul is in the hands of the community, we’ve decided that it’s time to kick off a new contest with physics and engineering as the focus. It’s been great seeing what people have been able to achieve since this update released so now is your chance to really show everyone what you are capable of!
    To go with the launch of this new contest, we have added a screenshot resolution modifer setting in the in-game options to allow users to take 4K and higher screenshots on lower end systems.

For those of you who couldn't watch the Major Physics Overhaul developer livestream, here's the recording:

Physics & Engineering Contest
    Check the details at Marek's blog post: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/space-engineers-physics-engineering.html
    Because we are already in the process of switching to a new skybox, you can use it as well before it is officially released: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1208808693

Features:
    • screenshot resolution multiplier setting
    Fixes:
    • fixed various crashes
    • changed drill efficiency against armor
    • fixed LG unlocking after reload on SP
    • fixed highlights going through characters
    Hotfixes 1.185.101:
    • fixed crash after ship collision
    If you have any questions or requests, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will do our best to solve your problems. We would be also very happy if you can submit your feedback at our Space Engineers Steam store page and encourage us to do better. We welcome both positive or negative comments, it helps us to create better game for you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 17
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

First?

Yep, first. :) For the first time... :)
    Great update! We could have use the Resolution Changer last time, but it is good to see it at last!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  3. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

physics bending, engineering ingenuity? that's gonna be a good one

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

Physics improvements after the overhaul are gonna take some time, but good to see work on it

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. lilbigmouth Trainee Engineer

This is really triple A shit.

Edit: To clarify, I'm quoting Marek from the major update stream, praising the game, not critising it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. EnjoyCoke Trainee Engineer

This is neat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RelicSage Trainee Engineer

Please for the love of clang, do not...I repeat do not add that horrific skybox back into the game. But good job on the Physics :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

That skybox is so ugly... at least dust it off before you implement it :/

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. Kivister Trainee Engineer

Is anyone else having issues loading old save files?

I am seeing the following error in the logs
    Code:
    2017-11-23 13:11:01.999 - Thread:  1 ->  ERROR: Loading screen failed
    2017-11-23 13:11:02.003 - Thread:  1 ->  Exception occured: System.OutOfMemoryException: Array dimensions exceeded supported range.
      at VRageRender.Import.MyModelImporter.ReadArrayOfString(BinaryReader reader)
      at VRageRender.Import.MyModelImporter.LoadTagData(BinaryReader reader, String[] tags)
      at VRageRender.Import.MyModelImporter.ImportData(String assetFileName, String[] tags)
      at VRage.Game.Models.MyModel.LoadData()
      at VRage.Game.Models.MyModels.GetModelOnlyData(String modelAsset)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyFloatingObjects.LoadData()
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.LoadComponent(MySessionComponentBase component)
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.LoadDataComponents()
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.PrepareBaseSession(MyObjectBuilder_Checkpoint checkpoint, MyObjectBuilder_Sector sector)
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.Load(String sessionPath, MyObjectBuilder_Checkpoint checkpoint, UInt64 checkpointSizeInBytes, Boolean saveLastStates)
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySessionLoader.<>c__DisplayClass21.<DownloadModsDone>b__1d()
      at Sandbox.Graphics.GUI.MyGuiScreenBase.RunLoadingAction()
      at Sandbox.Game.Gui.MyGuiScreenLoading.RunLoad()
    UPDATE:
    After verifying file integrity of the game files, it found and re-downloaded 1 file and i am able to join and load saves/servers

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  10. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The old approach to rotors and pistons wasn't satisfactory. Now Keen is trying a different solution to fix the problem. This is pretty much what we wanted all along. I'm sure there will be new issues. But they're trying and willing to re-engineer (no pun intended) parts of the game to make it handle better. Appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Thomas Theurer Trainee Engineer

The condor video is fake, the wheels of the dropped rover are not falling of and start inspecting the neighborhood. In other words, the wheels are still buggy.;)

13. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

Nice to see the update, but not the "new" skybox.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

That skybox should be optional, its not bad, but its also not what everyone wants, since people tend to like more extravagant skyboxes with Nebulea's and other stuffs in the background.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Oh please not the old skybox :(
    It's so low-contrast and low-detailed dustclouds and dare i say it... boring

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. chrisb Senior Engineer

Its nice that the game is getting fixed. Just a little curious regards the hype.. :?

The present, should have been thought about in the past.
    The game has a lot more to fix, just don't push it out as some big thing.
    Should have been done a long time ago.

17. R-TEAM Apprentice Engineer

The only diff is -> she now disable Physics complete on pistons/rotors so no calculation > no clang ...
    An brilliant solution - disable/remove an function to fix an problem ... why we have an physics engine anyway .... ... ...
    The idea with safety lock was "basicaly" the same (disable physic calculation on "lock" state ..) but on moving the subpart, the physic was active ... but safety lock to fixing was out of the capabilitis of the devs ...
    Now the only thing that can destroy blocks is collision (with ground or bullets/explosion)
    This is realy "engineering" ..... name it better Lego in space ...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. druppi Apprentice Engineer

......but the skybox is optional, if you don't like it just enable on from the workshop ... really no problem, i cant even remember since how many years i don't saw the vanilla skybox

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. McVoy Trainee Engineer

Hey, there is a big problem after this update! Subgrids (connected by rotors) in yerterday's saves are missing today. Has anyone this problem today?
    This not applied to all subgrids. In my world i have two identical ships with deployable gates on two rotors each. One in space, second on planet. In one of them (this on planet) gates dissapeared. I tried all 5 backup saves from yesterday. Gates are visible on save screenshots but after loading they are gone. After all i'm pretty sure that they were while saving the game. After moment i'll try with previous version of game.

20. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

@McVoy - Bug Reports section is the best place to go with your post. :)
    It may go unnoticed in this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

Honestly the new skybox is kinda eh.
    I think this would, however, be a good opportunity to add a minor feature I think a lot of people might appreciate. The option to set the skybox in a save's world settings. That way, players could have a few skyboxes to choose from (vanilla and/or modded) and select different ones for different games. Like, one specifically for deep space, or one more appropriate for a custom star system.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. McVoy Trainee Engineer

Thanks

23. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, Marek seems to like the original skybox, and it's his game. I haven't used the vanilla skybox since the day I found out skyboxes were in the workshop.

There are almost literally as many skyboxes in the workshop as there are people playing SE. It takes two seconds to download and install the skybox you want, and you can subscribe to as many as you want.

For me, the Space Just Got Real mod includes a skybox that I can live with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  24. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

I'd enter the competition if the prize was Xocliw's sunglasses.

[​IMG]

P.S. A potted plant, how officey.

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. artistx Trainee Engineer

Why was there nothing in the last two patchnotes about them increasing the large thruster damage area to bigger than flame area? is it a bug? they specifically patched and fixed it then undid it without a word of warning.

26. R-TEAM Apprentice Engineer

it would be worth mentioning - the "most" skyboxes come with an speedmod or additionaly "undocumented" changes to vital game files (environment changes ... as example) and if you use an old mod (where have this changes you dont know and the author have "forgotten" -or simply ignored- the changes to write in the mod description) on an game version where this values have changed or removed/replaced you can get into "trouble" you dont understand why ...
    [this happen on a couple of mods in the past on my server mods .. i check every mod i use on my server self today]

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

This is true as a lot of skybox mods tend to be done as a favor for a particular person, group or server and might include other undocumented requests.

Might be easier to ask someone to make a skybox for you :p

• Late Late x 1
  28. Slywolf117 Trainee Engineer

You know what would be the best fix? MULTIPLAYER FIXES!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Late Late x 1
  29. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Realistically he'd have broken them by the time you'd get them.

[​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    They're working on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  30. Roxette Junior Engineer

He also seems to like windows that are smeared with poo so you can barely see through them... but pistons and rotors seem to be working better now, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.